NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cam Newton 2017 Season Outlook

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Definitely worried this game could be a dud. Cam has looked good lately but his receivers are really hurting him. Kirk Cousins had two rushing TDs a couple weeks back vs the Vikings so that gives me a bit of confidence. 

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Definitely worried this game could be a dud. Cam has looked good lately but his receivers are really hurting him. Kirk Cousins had two rushing TDs a couple weeks back vs the Vikings so that gives me a bit of confidence. 

FWIW: Atlanta had 0 TD's this weekend vs Minnesota, arguably the best team in the NFL.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Scary matchup and Im not sure the Panthers have the weapons to overcome the Vikings’ talent on defense.

Olsen would be a start but they need another WR to step up.

Crazy that I am considering streaming Gabbert vs Titans over him.

Alex Smith vs Oakland for me. Just hoping I can get through the first round of the playoffs then its Cam week 15 and 16.

Cam passed for 262 yards and rushed for 26 yards and a TD in last year's match up.  He also had 3 picks and was sacked 8 times.  

This year's Viking team is much better on offense and is even better on defense.  I would look for an alternative.

8 hours ago, Swinger said:

Cam passed for 262 yards and rushed for 26 yards and a TD in last year's match up.  He also had 3 picks and was sacked 8 times.  

This year's Viking team is much better on offense and is even better on defense.  I would look for an alternative.

That defense has been good for some time.  Hard to trust most QB's against it, let alone Cam without much at receiver. 

On 12/5/2017 at 7:54 AM, ludawg23 said:

Scary matchup and Im not sure the Panthers have the weapons to overcome the Vikings’ talent on defense.

Olsen would be a start but they need another WR to step up.

Crazy that I am considering streaming Gabbert vs Titans over him.

On 12/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’m starting to look at Jimmy G as a better option vs Houston, if Hundley didn’t have such a garbage game vs TB I would have considered him vs the Browns over Cam this week. 

20 hours ago, lzbears said:

I am thinking about playing Carr instead of Cam this week. I just don't trust him against that defense.

Crazy, but Cam just hasn't demonstrated reliability on any level. I'm starting Gabbert over Cam, but this is in a 2-QB league so there's less risk. I'd agree that JimmyG is a play over Cam this week, though I'm hesitant about Carr, partially because of his game-play, partially because of BeastMode's emergence, partially because it's December in Kansas City.

J-Stew sucks, and McCaff is a pass-catcher... still a high likelihood Cam rushes one in, that combined with rushing makes his floor much more amenable to Gabbert

It's the playoffs, rather go down with someone that has actual ability than get cute and start a scrub and hope to get lucky 

I'm going with Gabbert myself.

This is Cam's outlook:

Cam Newton vs. Vikings: As up and down as they come, Newton is the overall QB5 through 13 weeks, but it’s been a treacherous ride for his owners. Newton has made things happen with monster rushing weeks. He’s been held to under 200 passing yards in four of the last five and has zero or one passing touchdowns in five of the past seven outings. In those last seven games, however, Newton has averaged 60.7 rushing yards with three scores. This date with coach Mike Zimmer’s Vikings defense looks like one of Cam’s toughest on the 2017 schedule. Minnesota is ninth in pass-defense DVOA, 10th in total pass yards given up, and No. 3 in fantasy points surrendered to quarterbacks. On top of that, the Vikings have yielded the fewest rushing yards to quarterbacks. Back in Week 3 against the Vikings last year, Newton threw for 262 yards and three interceptions with no touchdowns. He was also sacked eight times that day. Newton’s season appeared to turn for the worse that Sunday. Newton has massive upside, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable with him here.

I also think the match-ups on paper look terrible.  They have no running game to speak of...just Cam.  Their only reliable WR should get locked down by Rhodes and they who knows with Olsen.  Cam's rushing yards usually salvage the day but the Vikings don't allow much for QB rush yards.

Edited by ludawg23