NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cam Newton 2017 Season Outlook

As I always say, form no opinions about the performance of players against the Tulane defense. Unless those opinions are negative.

Cam got owned at home by Tulane and he should be dropped in 14 team leagues and under. And never started again. This was laughable from who used to be the number one player in fantasy.

By the way if New Orleans does well defensively next week they will no longer be known as Tulane.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

like carr and rivers... oh wait yah drop those guys too

Agreed. I have not saw one post saying to drop Rivers(who is healthy).

13 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

anderson was horribly inaccurate this preseason, and for the couple of plays he was in last game. Joe webb was by far the better qb and is no longer on the team (should've dropped DA over him). 

Agreed again. lol. Derek Anderson is NOT the answer if you have been paying attention to Panther ball.

Welp, it always feels like when you most expect something, the opposite happens in fantasy football. It really feels like Cam should be on the waiver wire, so I'm firing him up as my starter this week. Risky? Yes. Going to cost me my week? Most likely. But you only YOLO once fellas

6 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Cam's preseason in a brand new offense is almost over.

I hope you are right. These overthrows are VERY disturbing.  Plus, he isn't even running. I don't know if his WRs are even getting proper separation but if he couldn't hit them against NO and if he can't hit them against NE, who could he hit them against? 

3 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

Welp, it always feels like when you most expect something, the opposite happens in fantasy football. It really feels like Cam should be on the waiver wire, so I'm firing him up as my starter this week. Risky? Yes. Going to cost me my week? Most likely. But you only YOLO once fellas

Why not play someone like Simien or Palmer? I dumped Cam in both leagues for Wentz and Palmer. 10 team

If you play in a deep league, then you might have no choice but to start Cam. 

7 hours ago, dannyz6969 said:

Why not play someone like Simien or Palmer? I dumped Cam in both leagues for Wentz and Palmer. 10 team

If you play in a deep league, then you might have no choice but to start Cam. 

Idk man. I'm admittedly just a Cam homer. I have always had a tough time parting with someone that I felt confident enough to draft a couple weeks before. Cam can't stay this bad. He's always been innacurate but there's some rust there. They showed last game that they will use designed runs at the goal line for Cam. Maybe they start to realize that Cam isn't a commodity worth preserving if you take away his rushing upside. Running the read option with McCaffrey would make this a much more dynamic offense IMO. 

He’s a drop. He was brutal all of last year and looks even worse this year, he isn’t running either so that just kills his value. You’re wasting a roster spot if you keep him. He couldn’t even do anything against New Orleans last week so how can you ever trust him, you’re betting off streaming favourable matchups. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

He’s a drop. He was brutal all of last year and looks even worse this year, he isn’t running either so that just kills his value. You’re wasting a roster spot if you keep him. He couldn’t even do anything against New Orleans last week so how can you ever trust him, you’re betting off streaming favourable matchups. 

This is terrible advice.

He isn't startable right now. He is definitely not a drop. 

"streaming favorable matchups" with QB is a recipe for end of season disaster -- especially if you've discarded a struggling QB with a high ceiling. 

53 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

This is terrible advice.

He isn't startable right now. He is definitely not a drop. 

"streaming favorable matchups" with QB is a recipe for end of season disaster -- especially if you've discarded a struggling QB with a high ceiling. 

I dropped him, but only because i have Carr too.

right now he doesnt have a high ceiling.

He's not being Cam, he is not running or scoring TDs. His primary giant weapon is out. His second giant weapon is banged up..
as long the coaching staff keeps him in the pocket hes gonna score 8-14 pts weekly...

26 minutes ago, konstao said:

I dropped him, but only because i have Carr too.

right now he doesnt have a high ceiling.

He's not being Cam, he is not running or scoring TDs. His primary giant weapon is out. His second giant weapon is banged up..
as long the coaching staff keeps him in the pocket hes gonna score 8-14 pts weekly...

It should be noted that Rivera stated this week that Cam not running is the new norm. Without the threat of rushing for 600+ and double digit TDs, Cam is nothing but a middling QB2. He's only had one season of passing for 4k yards and similarly for 25+ TDs, and hence he's not a big enough of a threat through the air to have any upside playing in the pocket.

Its not a matter of rest in regards to Newton's shoulder. He needs more reps and practice to rebuild those neuro-muscular connections to the point he's functioning at full capacity. Following labrum/rotar cuff surgery, your shoulder is pretty much immobilized for months and you only can lift a neglible amount of weight. After four-five months you can redevelop strength pretty quickly. The hardest part is reattaining motor function and firing up those nerves that endured trauma from the invasive procedure. That's why Cam's already questionable accuracy is more questionable than usual. I think with more game time he will only improve more. Shoulders are a very fickle thing when it comes up to recovery, but by all accounts it seems like the surgery was a success if he can throw the ball this much and also be listed off the injury report.

If cam doesn't produce against an awful patriots defense then he for sure can get dropped. I been patient with him but this is the game that he has to shine in. Patriots defense has given up so many points. Currently they're ranked #31