NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Delino DeShields 2017 Outlook

Phreedom32

I'm ready to get off this ride. Glad it didn't last too long. 

And it's not like anyone is going to rush to pick him up off the wire.

Similar to Conforto, I like the skillset, and think he deserves a chance at any every day role (somewhere)

but those wasted roster spots will kill ya 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

LOL the Sandoval thing I'm curious to what the count was there.  I have to suspect it's less than 2 strikes and he's just swinging there to help protect his runner.

Yeah that's what it was. Still my favorite one of the bunch despite good intentions. Just so awkwardly late. 

Carlos Gomez imploding at the leadoff spot. Rua, Napoli, and Gallo all under .200. Beltre with a set back. 

The only guarantees with this lineup right now are Elvis (underrated), Odor, Mazara (and remember that debate last year), and Lucroy. DH Choo can count for now as well. 

Not saying but just saying. 

Edited by Stein

9 hours ago, Stein said:

Carlos Gomez imploding at the leadoff spot. Rua, Napoli, and Gallo all under .200. Beltre with a set back. 

The only guarantees with this lineup right now are Elvis (underrated), Odor, Mazara (and remember that debate last year), and Lucroy. DH Choo can count for now as well. 

Not saying but just saying. 

He's going to get a shot at more at bats here in near future.  Hes going to have to take advantage of them to earn more PT.  He could unseat Gomez if he takes advantage of opportunity.  It isn't easy though in inconsistent at bats to really find a groove.

Edited by Cmilne23

On 4/6/2017 at 8:22 PM, shakestreet said:

at least we have one person who believes in Delino...

spring training games are not a good measuring stick .... (how about this one @Backdoor Slider in 2016 Delino batted .316 in spring had 16 hits)

he is being dropped because he is not playing

.my two rotisserie ESPN leagues (5 OF) Delino is owned in the 12 team but not in the 16 team league

He was dropped in several of my leagues for Chris Owings. In another league he was dropped for Gardner. I don't blame owners for refusing to drop him but you can also miss out on guys who are already giving you SB now and possibly ROS. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

Terrible make-up, character questions, lacking skill set that screams Quad-A

What we meant was that we had invested a pick in him and the thought of 35 SB tickles our fancy and we won't give up. Holding onto every ounce hope given the scarcity of SB (kind of feels overblown but I have to look into those numbers this year).

Im still banking on opportunity more than talent as I said. So with Rua, Gomez, Napoli, and Gallo struggling there are at bats to be had. 

On a personal note as to why I haven't cut bait yet - 14 team 5 OF and 9 bench spots. Can't let these guys go on the wire and lose out. I'll be a Delino apologist all year as long as the opportunity is there. I won't defend his skill set beyond his speed though. 

5 minutes ago, Stein said:

What we meant was that we had invested a pick in him and the thought of 35 SB tickles our fancy and we won't give up. Holding onto every ounce hope given the scarcity of SB (kind of feels overblown but I have to look into those numbers this year).

Im still banking on opportunity more than talent as I said. So with Rua, Gomez, Napoli, and Gallo struggling there are at bats to be had. 

On a personal note as to why I haven't cut bait yet - 14 team 5 OF and 9 bench spots. Can't let these guys go on the wire and lose out. I'll be a Delino apologist all year as long as the opportunity is there. I won't defend his skill set beyond his speed though. 

Well, also the reason he isn't playing is some Freaky Friday scenario where Jeff Banister switched bodies with Kirk Gibson and hates OBP and young people who have good OBP's. 

If he fails, he fails. This has never been a huge endorsement of him being the next Kenny Lofton, this is a potential bench guy who isn't playing for completely confusing reasons. 

1 hour ago, ragrag said:

A 0 with upside is still a 0.  I personally have to quit him until he's an everyday player.

34 minutes ago, taobball said:

he is someone who has already had 10 SB in 1 month.

he has shown the ability to get on base in the past.

2015= 10.5 BB%.

2016 AAA = 14.1 BB%

2016= 7.4 BB%.

12 minutes ago, taobball said:

What does that exactly debate that I posted? 

I would say his skill set is more than someone seen as quad A.

I would think someone seen as quad A is one who has produced at AAA but hasn't been able to produce in the majors. DeShields has produced in the majors, in 2015. he was a bust in 2016, but he is now also only 24 years old.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

I would say his skill set is more than someone seen as quad A.

I would think someone seen as quad A is one who has produced at AAA but hasn't been able to produce in the majors. DeShields has produced in the majors, in 2015. he was a bust in 2016, but he is now also only 24 years old.

He can walk and he has good speed, but I don't think he can hit very well and while his defense will probably be better in a corner, I don't think it's quite there. These are the things that make him a quad-A player to me. 

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Yea that's why I always disagree with those who say he was "really good" in 2015 because he wasn't. Fantasy owners only look at the SB and OBP but even with those numbers he had a 96 wRC+ and 1.4 WAR. Mostly because he wasn't a good defensive player and I still don't think he is. Maybe as a corner OF but I'll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by Sine_cera