NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sean Manaea 2017 Outlook

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

per broadcast crew, diagnosed with left shoulder tightness.

Geez not good. I swear pitchers seem to be going down left and right this year.

Manaea and manager Bob Melvin downplayed the injury after the game and said there are no immediate plans to get Manaea an MRI exam. The team will wait to see how he feels Thursday. Manaea didn’t believe he would miss his next start, saying, “As of right now, no. We’ll just play it day by day.”

Manaea said he felt tightness while warming up in the bullpen and thought it would just take him longer to get loose, but he never did. “It was kind of a little sharp pain, nothing serious. I’ve dealt with it before and it only took me a few days to get back on the mound,” he said. “I’m not really worried about it."

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-fall-to-Angels-lose-Sean-Manaea-to-11102320.php

9 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

ZcidlOe.jpg

Normal Average Fastball this year. A few mph down today, only touched 90 a few times, 87-88 common per stadium gun.

where can you find these numbers for each start?

this on Manaea this morning.

Sean Manaea (shoulder) said it's possible he could make his next scheduled start.

Manaea was lifted from Wednesday's game against the Angels after experiencing shoulder tightness, but he's dealt with a similar issue in the past and it went away in a couple of days. There are no tests planned currently. We should know more once it comes time for him to throw his between-starts bullpen session. The young left-hander is currently lined up to face the Twins on the road next Tuesday.

4 hours ago, bombers3shooter said:

Or Sonny Gray is just about ready to slide right into the spot.

Yup you could be right, Gray does have one more rehab start left then he should be good to go. 

Let's see if Manaea is feeling better here in the next few days. 

9 hours ago, Caelum said:

Manaea and manager Bob Melvin downplayed the injury after the game and said there are no immediate plans to get Manaea an MRI exam. The team will wait to see how he feels Thursday. Manaea didn’t believe he would miss his next start, saying, “As of right now, no. We’ll just play it day by day.”

Manaea said he felt tightness while warming up in the bullpen and thought it would just take him longer to get loose, but he never did. “It was kind of a little sharp pain, nothing serious. I’ve dealt with it before and it only took me a few days to get back on the mound,” he said. “I’m not really worried about it."

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-fall-to-Angels-lose-Sean-Manaea-to-11102320.php

I don't like that at all. There is a problem causing that sharp pain. Notice the next words, "nothing serious"...Yeah. I like dude a lot and he may shake this off and turn into the ace he can become, but I'm betting this is going to become serious if they just wait a few days and see how he feels. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think it's only a matter of when....I'm not trying to be sour grapes here, I would love for this guy to be successful as possible.

Edited by Z06vette

Manaea (shoulder) is not likely to make his next scheduled start and could land on the disabled list, NBC Sports Bay Area's Joe Stiglich reports.

Added 6:43 pm (EST) rw_logo_white_transparent_optimize_small.png
It seemed like Manaea might be able to rejoin the rotation in the coming days, but it now looks like a DL stint could be in the cards. Assuming Manaea is unable to make Tuesday's start against the Twins, Sonny Gray will likely take the ball, with Kendall Graveman starting Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Manaea (shoulder) is not likely to make his next scheduled start and could land on the disabled list, NBC Sports Bay Area's Joe Stiglich reports.

Added 6:43 pm (EST) rw_logo_white_transparent_optimize_small.png
It seemed like Manaea might be able to rejoin the rotation in the coming days, but it now looks like a DL stint could be in the cards. Assuming Manaea is unable to make Tuesday's start against the Twins, Sonny Gray will likely take the ball, with Kendall Graveman starting Wednesday.

Not a surprise at all. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Z06vette

ESPN has his next start estimated at May 10th, but not sure how reliable that is.  Either way I agree; he was dropped in one of my leagues by a team with DL issues, so I'll stash him for a few weeks if I have to.  ERA looks ugly, but everything else points to much better numbers going forward.

I concur. He is a hold. Looking over the data, he looks like a SP 3 or 4 to me, and with lack of quality pitching these days, that has value. What stands out the most to me is the SwStr% and the GB%. Among starters with at least 20 IP, his 13.8% swinging strikes ranks 10th between Syndergaard and Paxton. Also among starters with at least 20 IP, his 63.9% ground balls ranks 4th just ahead of Stroman and Keuchel. He won't get many wins in Oakland, and the walks are concerning (up to 11.4% from last season's 6.2%); but there is still a lot to like about Manaea. Hopefully this shoulder issue clears up shortly.

If he can't get wins in Oakland and doesn't have the efficiency to go 6 innings for a QS I'm not sure how he becomes any more rosterable than a composite pair of middle relievers. I like his stuff but that's concerning

Edited by Joesh
18 minutes ago, Joesh said:

If he can't get wins in Oakland and doesn't have the efficiency to go 6 innings for a QS I'm not sure how he becomes any more rosterable than a composite pair of middle relievers. I like his stuff but that's concerning

Well it's one roster spot versus two. Fill the free spot with one of those middle relievers to help ratios and you should get more Ks also with some QS. 

12 minutes ago, Joesh said:

Well last year he went 6 or more IP in 16 of 24 starts, and 13 of those were QS.  Agreed he does throw a lot of pitches, but he has been effective in a relatively small sample size.  

Also the obvious disadvantage to a composite pair of MR's is that the opportunity cost of a roster spot is relatively high in most leagues.  I'd much rather have Manaea + a MR than two MR's.

28 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Well last year he went 6 or more IP in 16 of 24 starts, and 13 of those were QS.  Agreed he does throw a lot of pitches, but he has been effective in a relatively small sample size.  

Also the obvious disadvantage to a composite pair of MR's is that the opportunity cost of a roster spot is relatively high in most leagues.  I'd much rather have Manaea + a MR than two MR's.

Maybe for ratios but I'm nervous using starts for  him in roto. Didn't realize he had 13/24 QS last year, t hats promising since I would hope he would improve that ratio this year