NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sean Manaea 2017 Outlook

Positive news: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/06/athletics-pitcher-sean-manaea-nearing-return-from-shoulder-strain/ 

As far as people wondering if he's a hold or not, here are some numbers from his past 18 starts (in parenthesis, where this number would've ranked him last year):

109 ip

102 k's, 23.5 k% (20th), 6.7% BB (30th), 16.8% k-bb (21st)

3.06 ERA, 3.53 FIP (14th) 

52.2% GB (9th) 

12.8% SwStr (6th)

74.4% contact rate (8th)

Shoulder tightness is indeed scary. And who knows what happens going forward, and all I did above was compare 18 starts to a full years worth. But it's kind of obvious he's showing high-end ability to miss bats, strikeout batters, limit contact, not walk people, and get ground balls. Why anyone would even contemplate dropping a guy like that is beyond me....

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

ESPN has him starting Sunday @TEX.  Is this confirmed or just speculation?  If this is true, who's starting him?

meeeee, even though it's in a innings capped roto league lol.

I'm just a fantasy degenerate though. need dat action

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Facing the Mariners at Safeco on Monday. Are you guys starting him? Mariners are 6th in runs scored and 10th in OPS. They are better on the road, however.

I think it is risky. I want some proof he's healthy. Gets out there, throws a inning or two, and shoulder starts messing with him and you're screwed.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Facing the Mariners at Safeco on Monday. Are you guys starting him? Mariners are 6th in runs scored and 10th in OPS. They are better on the road, however.

Depends on the league depth for me. I own him in a deep 12 team(5 Bench and 4 DL so more like a 14 IMO) and I will be starting him. He has good stuff and hes in good parks even if hes playing boston on sat.

I'm impressed with the optimism you guys are displaying.  I hope this goes well ... Manaea was one of the only pitchers I somehow ended up with in all leagues.

Pitchers off the DL make me nervous, but I'm not terribly put off by this matchup ... I'm just terrified of almost all pitchers at this point.  Pitching in general has been one giant kick in the pills this year.

7 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I'm impressed with the optimism you guys are displaying.  I hope this goes well ... Manaea was one of the only pitchers I somehow ended up with in all leagues.

Pitchers off the DL make me nervous, but I'm not terribly put off by this matchup ... I'm just terrified of almost all pitchers at this point.  Pitching in general has been one giant kick in the pills this year.

Definitely not overly optimistic, but I like to take risks. I don't envision him throwing a prodigious game, but I'll take 6 IP, 3 ER, 5 punch-outs.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
3 hours ago, JFS179 said:

while that's true this season, I've also seen too many scrubs pitch dominant performances against good offenses to sit someone like Manaea.

14 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

At least it's Monday???  Idk 

it's just another manic Monday. :unsure:

I didn't think this Mariners lineup would give Manaea much trouble.

Edited by SpecialFNK