NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ameer Abdullah 2017 Outlook

Winky

22 minutes ago, Walter330i said:

So I have a dilemma not sure if I should start him or not. we play 2 rb and a flex. I have MGordon vs giants, Blount vs ari, Murray vs mia, and of course Abdullah vs the panthers... should I sit any of the aforementioned players for Abdullah? Gordon has that bone bruise but is practicing, Blount gets goalline carries but is underrated this year, I think titans might lean murray bc of mariotta.

I am honestly not too sure which way to go, what's you guys' take?

Abdullah got banged up last game.  Think he's questionable for this week but leaning towards he will play.  But Carolina is pretty stingy against the run.  All that combined, I would probably sit Abdullah in favor of your other options this week at least.  Next week might be a better option, whomever they are playing. 

But I think Detroit going to be passing a lot more against Carolina.  So he could get good receiving yards.   Just not sure how much of a TD threat he would be.  

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has he reached locked in RB2 status rest of season? Lions are clearly trying to make him their workhorse and the defense should provide positive gamescripts for the run most weeks. @New Orleans next week looks like a monster breakout waiting to happen.

16 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Has he reached locked in RB2 status rest of season? Lions are clearly trying to make him their workhorse and the defense should provide positive gamescripts for the run most weeks. @New Orleans next week looks like a monster breakout waiting to happen.

I'd say he has, until he isn't...I say this simply due to the fact that I'd like to see him get through an entire season w/o sitting. 

I believe the skills are there

The opportunity is there

and so far he's holding up his end of the bargain...I'm happy I didn't sell him for Landry at the beginning of the season as I ALMOST did. 

16 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Not feeling great about this week but next week he's all systems go. 

38 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Detroit is trying to dictate game scripts.  So if everything goes their way there will be no breakout, just normal Abdullah 20 touches.  If the Lions are playing from behind then I assume Riddick will be out there.

On 10/4/2017 at 5:36 PM, brakeyawself said:

But I think Detroit going to be passing a lot more against Carolina.  So he could get good receiving yards.   Just not sure how much of a TD threat he would be.

This has been the key to AA's 2017 value since PS.  When would the CS realize that he's a better option than Riddick even in the passing game?  That was discussed in early pages of this thread.  

If we believe that the CS is starting to see things that way, then maybe whether this upcoming home date with the Panthers is a match up to avoid depends on how well Carolina limits pass yards to RBs.  With the LBs they have, I'm guessing they are rather good in coverage against RBs, but maybe that's not the case.   Does anyone know where team ranks for receiving yards allowed to RBs can be found?  

11 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This has been the key to AA's 2017 value since PS.  When would the CS realize that he's a better option than Riddick even in the passing game?  That was discussed in early pages of this thread.  

If we believe that the CS is starting to see things that way, then maybe whether this upcoming home date with the Panthers is a match up to avoid depends on how well Carolina limits pass yards to RBs.  With the LBs they have, I'm guessing they are rather good in coverage against RBs, but maybe that's not the case.   Does anyone know where team ranks for receiving yards allowed to RBs can be found?  

Again ... Detroit is not trying to throw the ball.  They want to control the game script with a balanced offense and with defense.

If they are throwing the ball to their RB, that means something has gone horribly wrong and Riddick will probably be out there.

1 hour ago, jspeed said:

Again ... Detroit is not trying to throw the ball.  They want to control the game script with a balanced offense and with defense.

If they are throwing the ball to their RB, that means something has gone horribly wrong and Riddick will probably be out there.

If you're referring to 10+ targets to the RBs, then sure, that's indicative of an unusual game script.  But a modest # of receps can be entirely consistent with controlling the game.  If Ameer gets those, he's a solid weekly start.  Riddick never needs to see the field.

My point is that if Carolina is soft in coverage against RBs, then Ameer can still be very productive while Detroit strives to win TOP.

23 hours ago, jspeed said:

If the Lions are playing from behind then I assume Riddick will be out there.

Isn't Abdullah eating into Riddick's role to begin with?

AA was a solid pass-catcher in college, and he seems capable this year, now that he's healthy. I don't think Riddick is as much of a threat as you think he still is.

Edited by leesanity7

8 minutes ago, leesanity7 said:

Isn't Abdullah eating into Riddick's role to begin with?

AA was a solid pass-catcher in college, and he seems capable this year, now that he's healthy. I don't think Riddick is as much of a threat as you think he still is.

Yeah it seems like AA is already getting passing down work. He has seized control of the backfield to the point I don't think any game script will really screw him too badly.

Edited by owenmills

Bad game. Bad game script. Vulture TD for Zenner. Nothing went right this game, but tbh, I didn't expect a big game from Abdullah here. That being said, going forward I expect a lot more with the schedule getting easier. Another 3 point game from him with these next match-ups and I won't be too happy. But I'm not all that discouraged by how he performed last game for his ROS outlook.

Edited by hangin n wangin

6 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Vulture TD for Zenner.

It should be noted that Abdullah had at least 2 (maybe 3, can't remember) cracks at it before Zenner.  They ran Abdullah left, though, and he was caught in the backfield.  They ran Zenner right, which is the strong side of their line, and Zenner had to break one tackle but then walked in.

First play of the game was a nice 16 yard run by AA, then the following like 7 or 8 plays were passes out of the gun. Why the Lions do this, I have no idea. 

Thought AA was in for a nice game after that first run, Caldwell and Cooter chuckled.

Edited by yahyahtrick

2 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

It should be noted that Abdullah had at least 2 (maybe 3, can't remember) cracks at it before Zenner.  They ran Abdullah left, though, and he was caught in the backfield.  They ran Zenner right, which is the strong side of their line, and Zenner had to break one tackle but then walked in.

Yea, I noticed, and that is a good thing that he's getting RZ/GL touches, but he just didn't do well with them yesterday. Again, I have confidence in Abdullah going forward, but yesterday was just a terrible game for the Lions as a football team in general.

Predictably bombs the week after everyone is excited about him.  Granted, it was against Carolina, so expectations had to be tempered.  Kind of expected Riddick would be more involved after the coach speak this past week as well too.

Unfortunately for me, no choice but to keep plugging away with him...

Reality check game for both the Lions and Ameer Abdullah.  Their defense did not hold up against CAR.  The Lions abandoned the run and reverted to last year's form.  AA is a play only if the Lions are going to do what they did in games 1-4.

42 minutes ago, CooL said:

Predictably bombs the week after everyone is excited about him.  Granted, it was against Carolina, so expectations had to be tempered.  Kind of expected Riddick would be more involved after the coach speak this past week as well too.

Unfortunately for me, no choice but to keep plugging away with him...

He's the ultimate tease. He'll show flashes that he is ready to breakout and then comes crashing back to earth thanks to the craptastic Detroit offense which hasn't been able to run the ball consistently since Barry Sanders was in town

32 minutes ago, owenmills said:

He's the ultimate tease. He'll show flashes that he is ready to breakout and then comes crashing back to earth thanks to the craptastic Detroit offense which hasn't been able to run the ball consistently since Barry Sanders was in town

Lions offense has always bothered me. Not exactly sure, but something seems amiss. As for AA this past week, Carolina is brutal, plus they got down and had to pass in the second half. That game was not unexpected. 

16 minutes ago, yanksman said:

One good game vs MIN and he was moving up the charts as a low end RB1. One bad game and now hes an RB3? I think hes an RB2 from here on out.

I don't think he's a low end RB1, but I like him as an RB2. Fantasypros has him as the number 13 running back this week, as of now.