NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jimmy Garoppolo 2017 Outlook

FreakFries

Im also curious. Picked him up speculatively in my 2 QB league. He is talented, should always have the gamescript in his favor and has a good schedule. However, if he is not starting.....

Anyone with any news or insight into the situation?

Edited by nromn

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49ers GM John Lynch wouldn't commit to the 49ers starting Jimmy Garoppolo against the Seahawks in Week 12.

Lynch said that decision will be made by head coach Kyle Shanahan, though Garoppolo certainly doesn't seem like a lock to start, even after getting the bye week to familiarize himself with the team's playbook. "You guys obviously know what we think of Jimmy in terms of why we brought him here," said Lynch. "But we also think highly of C.J. [Beathard], enough to trade up to the third round to get him." Beathard is coming off his best game of the season against the Giants, though Garoppolo remains San Francisco's quarterback of the future. We'd still bet on Garoppolo starting at some point this year, but it may not happen for another week or two.

Source: Sacramento Bee 
Nov 21 - 6:23 PM

1 hour ago, Mr.STD said:

If the 9'ers wait longer than one more game to test drive JG than they're almost as dumb as Sean Mcdermott. 

How so, especially if Beathard's growth and quality play are the reasons?  Shanahan and Lynch aren't saying or acting like they need to see JG on the field to pull the trigger on either the franchise tag or a new contract.  Maybe that makes you and me nervous, but it ain't our money.

The most likely development is that Beathard turns back into a pumpkin and the red carpet gets rolled out right away for JG.  But if somehow the opposite occurs and Beathard continues to perform well, you and I both know that the CS will reward his efforts by sticking with him, even with JG waiting in the wings.  That is just what coaches do

Edited by Rolling Thunder

7 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

How so, especially if Beathard's growth and quality play are the reasons?  Shanahan and Lynch aren't saying or acting like they need to see JG on the field to pull the trigger on either the franchise tag or a new contract.  Maybe that makes you and me nervous, but it ain't our money.

The most likely development is that Beathard turns back into a pumpkin and the red carpet gets rolled out right away for JG.  But if somehow the opposite occurs and Beathard continues to perform well, you and I both know that the CS will reward his efforts by sticking with him, even with JG waiting in the wings.  That is just what coaches do

I really think Beathard actually has some potential to be a starter in this league. I think what he has shown on tape so far has been very encouraging considering his supporting cast and the fact that he is a rookie. The 49ers are in a great financial position to ride both these guys out or even deal Garoppolo to highest bidder.

Edited by Dirtywater97

2 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I really think Beathard actually has some potential to be a starter in this league. I think what he has shown on tape so far has been very encouraging considering his supporting cast and the fact that he is a rookie. The 49ers are in a great financial position to ride both these guys out or even deal Garoppolo to highest bidder.

There is a theory out there that one of the reasons Hoody approached Lynch with the JG deal was that he (Hoody) wanted to avoid JG being flipped for profit.  As the story goes, NE wanted to reward JG for being a good understudy to Brady, so they purposely didn't market him.  I doubt Lynch made any promises, but he certainly has been talking as if the Niners are going to let JG settle in and prove he is worthy of sticking around long term, even if it means making a financial commitment somewhat blind and not answering phone calls from potential suitors.

For those clamoring for JG, here is his comment from yesterday:

If you had to play this week, how comfortable would you feel in the system?

“I’m getting to where I want to be. Like I said before, it’s a process. Things are starting to come together. Some of the smaller, finer details are becoming more clear to me. It’s just going to take time.”

Doesn't sound like a guy who is quite ready to run the whole show.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

17 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

There is a theory out there that one of the reasons Hoody approached Lynch with the JG deal was that he (Hoody) wanted to avoid JG being flipped for profit.  As the story goes, NE wanted to reward JG for being a good understudy to Brady, so they purposely didn't market him.  I doubt Lynch made any promises, but he certainly has been talking as if the Niners are going to let JG settle in and prove he is worthy of sticking around long term, even if it means making a financial commitment somewhat blind and not answering phone calls from potential suitors.

LOL Who the hell came up with that theory? Even Hoody's mom don't think he is that nice. I would believe the theory that Hoody will trade Brady for a pick in a year or two over him not wanting to flip JG as a reward to him being  a good understudy.

35 minutes ago, socra7es said:

LOL Who the hell came up with that theory? Even Hoody's mom don't think he is that nice. I would believe the theory that Hoody will trade Brady for a pick in a year or two over him not wanting to flip JG as a reward to him being  a good understudy.

I am not making it up:

http://www.knbr.com/2017/11/02/schefter-belichick-sending-garoppolo-to-49ers-partially-due-to-respect-for-lynch-shanahan/

As reported in the linked piece, Hoody "made the decision to trade him to [Lynch and Shanahan] with the idea that he would not be in the Patriots’ conference, with the idea that they would not turn around and decide to go another direction and trade him to the Jets or Bills or Dolphins or a quarterback-needed AFC East division because of the relationships between the sides,” Schefter said.

I never LOL until I do some homework. 

12 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Starting to think he could be a sneaky qb1 ROS 

IF he is as good as some (including Lynch and Shanahan) believe he is, and IF Beathard is ruled out this week (we'll hear soon because Beathard limped off the field), JG could make some noise even with that undermanned offensive roster.  It was just a handful of snaps, but he (and the rest of the offense) sure looked good on that last handful of plays.  His TD toss was really pretty.

13 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Starting to think he could be a sneaky qb1 ROS 

He faces the team who's giving up the most fantasy pts to qb in Texans week 14, a bad Titans team in week 15 and on phone will come back with week 16 matchup. I am playoff bound in 8 of 9 leagues and own Brady in 2 but in the other 6 I think I will be adding him to see what happens. 1 team has Mariota, 1 has Goff, 2 have Cam, 1 has Ben and Goff and one has Ben and Carr. None are set and forget.

1 minute ago, turner46 said:

He faces the team who's giving up the most fantasy pts to qb in Texans week 14, a bad Titans team in week 15 and on phone will come back with week 16 matchup. I am playoff bound in 8 of 9 leagues and own Brady in 2 but in the other 6 I think I will be adding him to see what happens. 1 team has Mariota, 1 has Goff, 2 have Cam, 1 has Ben and Goff and one has Ben and Carr. None are set and forget.

Jags week 16, if he's panned out and you made it to the finals likely stream or keep your current qb for that reason.

I still can't fathom that this guy is going to get franchised at $25 million and be the third highest paid QB behind Stafford and Carr.

If this guy is worth $25 million per year, than Aaron Rodgers is easily worth $50 million.

I think he's worth rostering, but no way would I start him except in 2 QB leagues.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jimmy Garoppolo 2017 Outlook