Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, MyFistYourFace said:

Not if you draft Murray & Henry.  Then you have a RB1 no matter who is starting. Unless it turns into a committee...

 

2,475,900th time someone has posted this concept of drafting 2 RB's from the same team like it's a fool proof strategy that everyone should always adhere to. 

 

Fact of the matter is that it's far more complicated than that, and there are downsides to investing in handcuffs from the same team.  

 

And I don't know what leagues people are in that it is so damn easy to get a high caliber handcuff.  The hawks are going to be out if full force snagging Henry on the Murray owner.  You would have to take Henry in the 6th round in my leagues to be safe.  Yet, the second something happens the minions will be out in full force shaming anyone who had Murray but didn't get Henry.  

 

And of course, that means you are using 2 of your top 6 picks on RB's from the same team that will take up a spot on your bench the whole year.  

 

That being said....  Derrick Henry is a friggin stud.  This guy is a league winner if Murray goes down.  I had Murray last year and I thought Henry was more impressive... the Henry owner wouldn't give him up.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

 

2,475,900th time someone has posted this concept of drafting 2 RB's from the same team like it's a fool proof strategy that everyone should always adhere to. 

 

Fact of the matter is that it's far more complicated than that, and there are downsides to investing in handcuffs from the same team.  

 

And I don't know what leagues people are in that it is so damn easy to get a high caliber handcuff.  The hawks are going to be out if full force snagging Henry on the Murray owner.  You would have to take Henry in the 6th round in my leagues to be safe.  Yet, the second something happens the minions will be out in full force shaming anyone who had Murray but didn't get Henry.  

 

And of course, that means you are using 2 of your top 6 picks on RB's from the same team that will take up a spot on your bench the whole year.  

 

That being said....  Derrick Henry is a friggin stud.  This guy is a league winner if Murray goes down.  I had Murray last year and I thought Henry was more impressive... the Henry owner wouldn't give him up.  

 

 

Yeah, I don't believe drafting both necessarily "covers" you, because the worst case scenario is one where they both see work and the Titans aren't efficient enough to float either/both as reliable starters. It's similar to Atlanta ... it can work out great, but if the Falcons aren't posting a lot of points and averaging a ton per carry, you could get caught holding the bag. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, rcarena said:

Yeah, I don't believe drafting both necessarily "covers" you, because the worst case scenario is one where they both see work and the Titans aren't efficient enough to float either/both as reliable starters. It's similar to Atlanta ... it can work out great, but if the Falcons aren't posting a lot of points and averaging a ton per carry, you could get caught holding the bag. 

 

As a high pick, THIS is DeMarco Murray's late-season downside (playoffs, fantasy Super Bowl), NOT injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ragrag said:

Man I hate owning players who's thread is this long before draft day. It's usually a bad sign. 

This train continues to pick up more steam. 

 

This isn't an inspiring fairy tale of the little engine that could. No no. This train is powered by a very violent 6'3 240 lb locomotive that will derail his competition. 

 

Hitch your boxcar and enjoy the ride. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Evincar said:

Im pretty giddy about owning him for the 2nd straight season. I just have a feeling that Murray is going to miss some time this season.

Considering Murray has missed 1 game since 2014 I wouldn't bank to much on that. Just sayin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Considering Murray has missed 1 game since 2014 I wouldn't bank to much on that. Just sayin

 

Thats true, he's basically only missed 3 games if you even go back to 2013. The thing is he's right around the right age (29/30) where RBs get hurt and/or hit that wall. Look at Lynch for example, he was healthy for 4 straight seasons, was ineffective and got hurt in his age 29 season.

 

Maybe thats wishful thinking but Murray isnt exactly an iron man like Curtis Martin. Very few are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's an expensive lotto ticket. Lol @ taking him in the middle rounds. Ya'll can have him in the 6th while I draft guys that will actually contribute and not need an injury to be relevant.

 

Not only do you need Murray to get injured.... you need it to be a serious injury.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GriffeySwag said:

He's an expensive lotto ticket. Lol @ taking him in the middle rounds. Ya'll can have him in the 6th while I draft guys that will actually contribute and not need an injury to be relevant.

 

Not only do you need Murray to get injured.... you need it to be a serious injury.  

 

 

 

Hm, didn't realize his ADP was 6th round in a 12 teamer. Not a value then. I would only grab if he slips to 8th or later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

He's an expensive lotto ticket. Lol @ taking him in the middle rounds. Ya'll can have him in the 6th while I draft guys that will actually contribute and not need an injury to be relevant.

 

Not only do you need Murray to get injured.... you need it to be a serious injury.  

 

 

 

Well no one is saying to take him as early as round 6. That is pretty dumb.

 

Murray doesnt even need to get seriously injured. He could pull his hamstring in week 4, miss one game and the coaching staff decides to make it a 50/50 split to keep make Murray fresh for the playoff push. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

Well no one is saying to take him as early as round 6. That is pretty dumb.

 

Murray doesnt even need to get seriously injured. He could pull his hamstring in week 4, miss one game and the coaching staff decides to make it a 50/50 split to keep make Murray fresh for the playoff push. 

Ranked #71 in Yahoo which makes him a late 6th rounder.

 

And for Henry to cleanly take over the job and turn into an RB1, yes, Murray needs to get seriously injured. If he gets injured for a few games, those few starts Henry gets still won't justify his current ADP.

 

Murray is not as injury prone as he's perceived to be. If he stays healthy, then Henry is going to rot on your bench all season. Some might try to argue he'll have flex value, but it'll be low end at best.

 

Every week that goes by with a healthy Murray you'll contemplate dropping Henry for a hot waiver wire pick-up, but then decide against it because you spent a 6th rounder on him and "RB1 IF MURRAY GETS INJURED."  Then you're potentially leaving the Ty Montgomery's, Davante Adams', & Tyreke Hills' of the world on the waiver wire because you didn't want to drop a middle round investment.

 

Handcuffs that don't have stand alone value should not be drafted in the 6th round.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other issue that nobody mentions is Mariota. What if he gets hurt? You want both Henry and Murray as your 2nd and 6th round picks and risk the potential of a Mariota injury and see the Titans offense change? Then you got a committee that is still a committee and a offense that is no longer the same. Sure, you can say the same about Brees, Rodgers, Brady etc- but your not spending a 2nd and 6th round on Ty/handcuff, Ingram/pete, gilly/burkhead. This is litterly the only committee (sans zeke, McFadden which isn't a committee, it's 6 games losing a stud) that you would be spending 2 early picks on. Not sure it is worth that for this or any committee. The only example I can think of is priest and Larry, but required a priest injury....and that was a much better oline with much better receiving options. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

He's an expensive lotto ticket. Lol @ taking him in the middle rounds. Ya'll can have him in the 6th while I draft guys that will actually contribute and not need an injury to be relevant.

 

Not only do you need Murray to get injured.... you need it to be a serious injury.  

 

 

 

You sound so salty.  Like you were so bummed in your draft because you didn't really want Murray, but you were forced to do so cause it made sense.  Henry is already fantasy relevant and doesn't need an injury to contribute (although he would immediately be an elite RB1).  Have you watched this guy at all last year and pre season?  Everytime he touches the ball, it's magic.  Murray is still a stud, but he is at the age where they will start prolonging his career and monitor his touches.  I still feel pretty good about Murray but it's next to impossible anymore not to give this man 8-10 touches a game and goaline touches.  I have a feeling it will be frustrating for Murray owners in the TD aspect.  I think he will get them close and Henry will be coming in alot to clean up inside the 20's.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ragrag said:

Man I hate owning players who's thread is this long before draft day. It's usually a bad sign. 

 

HA! 9/10 times it is

 

We all know where Henry's value lies and we all know he is more than likely a bye guy unless the big one happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 96mnc locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • 96mnc locked and unlocked this topic
  • 96mnc locked and unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...