Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

 

You'll full of ****.

 

Here's what I did, I created a spreadsheet, that has every single run D.Murray and D.Henry completed for the 2016 season.

 

Claim #1: Doesn't get short yardage first downs

Murray had exactly 30 runs with 1 to go.

Of those 30 runs, he had negative yardage just 3 times.

0 yards 4 times.

1+ yards for the other 23 times.  76% success rate with 1 to go.

 

Of those 23 runs, he averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

Of all 30 runs combined, he averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 14 runs with 2 to go.

Of those 14 runs, he had negative yardage just 1 time.

0 yards 2 times, 1 yard 2 times.

2+ yards for the other 9 times.  64% success rate with 2 to go.

 

Of those 9 runs, he averaged 8.4 yards per carry.

Of all 14 runs combined, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 82 rushes with 5 or less to go.  On those 82 attempts, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

 

Claim #2: Murray had several scampers of 40+

Two.  He had 2.

If you remove both of those runs, he's still averaging 4 YPC.

 

Claim #3: Murray can't drain the clock in the 4th quarter.

Murray had 68 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 3.5 YPC on those runs.

Of these 68 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 14 times, just 20%. (Positive yardage 80% of the time he carried the ball in the 4th quarter)

8 of these 14 runs, came on first downs.

 

Claim #4: Murray can't punch it in at the goal line.

4 of Murray's 9 Tds came from the 1 yard line.

3 came from 2-5 yards out.

The final 2 were runs of 14, and 76.

 

Claim #5: Murray isn't getting short yardage first downs.

Murray had only 2 4th down runs, both with 1 to go.  He converted 1, failed one.

Murray had 23 3rd down runs, 22 of which were 3 or less to convert.

Of those 22 runs of 3rd and 1, 2 or, 3 he converted 16 of them. 73% success rate.

 

Claim #6: Blount was in a limited role.

Blount touched the ball 306 times last year.  There are only 5 backs in the league who had more than that.

 

And for giggles...

D.Murray ran the ball 293 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 15 times. (5%)

D.Henry ran the ball 110 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 16 times. (14%)

 

D.Henry had 25 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 2.6 YPC on those runs.

Of those 25 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 5 times, the same 20% as Murray above. (Claim 3)

D.Henry had only 7 runs, of 3rd and 3 or less to convert.

Of those 7 runs of 3rd and 1, 2, or 3 he converted 4 of them.  57% success rate.

 

3.5 average per run in the 4th quarter isnt great. Wouldnt get a 1st down if they ran it 3 times. Like i said, murray wears down by the 4th quarter

 

Only 24 3rd down attempts for Murray, barely over 1 a game average and he failed on 6 of them. Thats bad IMO, real bad.

 

Congrats on the stats but showing how good the OLine is doesnt convince me Murray is better than Henry

 

Murray is past his prime and Henry is waiting to unleash his.

 

After a full season of being the starter i bet Henry averages 4ypc or more in the 4th quarter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

 

You'll full of ****.

 

Here's what I did, I created a spreadsheet, that has every single run D.Murray and D.Henry completed for the 2016 season.

 

Claim #1: Doesn't get short yardage first downs

Murray had exactly 30 runs with 1 to go.

Of those 30 runs, he had negative yardage just 3 times.

0 yards 4 times.

1+ yards for the other 23 times.  76% success rate with 1 to go.

 

Of those 23 runs, he averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

Of all 30 runs combined, he averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 14 runs with 2 to go.

Of those 14 runs, he had negative yardage just 1 time.

0 yards 2 times, 1 yard 2 times.

2+ yards for the other 9 times.  64% success rate with 2 to go.

 

Of those 9 runs, he averaged 8.4 yards per carry.

Of all 14 runs combined, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 82 rushes with 5 or less to go.  On those 82 attempts, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

 

Claim #2: Murray had several scampers of 40+

Two.  He had 2.

If you remove both of those runs, he's still averaging 4 YPC.

 

Claim #3: Murray can't drain the clock in the 4th quarter.

Murray had 68 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 3.5 YPC on those runs.

Of these 68 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 14 times, just 20%. (Positive yardage 80% of the time he carried the ball in the 4th quarter)

8 of these 14 runs, came on first downs.

 

Claim #4: Murray can't punch it in at the goal line.

4 of Murray's 9 Tds came from the 1 yard line.

3 came from 2-5 yards out.

The final 2 were runs of 14, and 76.

 

Claim #5: Murray isn't getting short yardage first downs.

Murray had only 2 4th down runs, both with 1 to go.  He converted 1, failed one.

Murray had 23 3rd down runs, 22 of which were 3 or less to convert.

Of those 22 runs of 3rd and 1, 2 or, 3 he converted 16 of them. 73% success rate.

 

Claim #6: Blount was in a limited role.

Blount touched the ball 306 times last year.  There are only 5 backs in the league who had more than that.

 

And for giggles...

D.Murray ran the ball 293 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 15 times. (5%)

D.Henry ran the ball 110 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 16 times. (14%)

 

D.Henry had 25 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 2.6 YPC on those runs.

Of those 25 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 5 times, the same 20% as Murray above. (Claim 3)

D.Henry had only 7 runs, of 3rd and 3 or less to convert.

Of those 7 runs of 3rd and 1, 2, or 3 he converted 4 of them.  57% success rate.

 

Henry had 110 rushes last year, 183 less than Murray and Henry had the higher ypc average @ 4.5

 

Henry was the better receiver out of the backfield with 13 catches for 137 yards a 10.5 average per reception.

 

Henry also had 5 rushing TDs to Murrays 9.

 

Henry with comparable touches to Murray would have had 12 TDs or more by extrapolating out those numbera.

 

The OL is good in Tennessee, never said Murray didnt accumulate stats but stats withput context is irrelevant.

 

Titans had 7 games last year that were 1 posession games in the 4th quarter, times when you need a hammer to grind out the tough yards. 

 

Henry averaged better stats last year than Murray rushing and receiving.

 

Its not a stretch to say Murray will not sniff his last year numbers while Henry will far surpass his.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Murray also had 107 rushing attempts for 350 yards in opponents territory, averaging a paltry 3.2 yards per carry.

 

Murrays ypc average drops a full yard per carry from first half of games to second half, 4.9 down tp 3.9

 

When Titans had a lead of 9-16 points then Murray averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

 

Murray scored a whopping 1 rushing TD in the most important quarter in football, the 4th quarter.

 

 titans miss the playoffs by 1 game.

 

...and Murray is a year older

 

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

 

You'll full of ****.

 

Here's what I did, I created a spreadsheet, that has every single run D.Murray and D.Henry completed for the 2016 season.

 

Claim #1: Doesn't get short yardage first downs

Murray had exactly 30 runs with 1 to go.

Of those 30 runs, he had negative yardage just 3 times.

0 yards 4 times.

1+ yards for the other 23 times.  76% success rate with 1 to go.

 

Of those 23 runs, he averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

Of all 30 runs combined, he averaged 4.1 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 14 runs with 2 to go.

Of those 14 runs, he had negative yardage just 1 time.

0 yards 2 times, 1 yard 2 times.

2+ yards for the other 9 times.  64% success rate with 2 to go.

 

Of those 9 runs, he averaged 8.4 yards per carry.

Of all 14 runs combined, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry.

 

Murray had 82 rushes with 5 or less to go.  On those 82 attempts, he averaged 4.8 yards per carry.

 

Claim #2: Murray had several scampers of 40+

Two.  He had 2.

If you remove both of those runs, he's still averaging 4 YPC.

 

Claim #3: Murray can't drain the clock in the 4th quarter.

Murray had 68 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 3.5 YPC on those runs.

Of these 68 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 14 times, just 20%. (Positive yardage 80% of the time he carried the ball in the 4th quarter)

8 of these 14 runs, came on first downs.

 

Claim #4: Murray can't punch it in at the goal line.

4 of Murray's 9 Tds came from the 1 yard line.

3 came from 2-5 yards out.

The final 2 were runs of 14, and 76.

 

Claim #5: Murray isn't getting short yardage first downs.

Murray had only 2 4th down runs, both with 1 to go.  He converted 1, failed one.

Murray had 23 3rd down runs, 22 of which were 3 or less to convert.

Of those 22 runs of 3rd and 1, 2 or, 3 he converted 16 of them. 73% success rate.

 

Claim #6: Blount was in a limited role.

Blount touched the ball 306 times last year.  There are only 5 backs in the league who had more than that.

 

And for giggles...

D.Murray ran the ball 293 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 15 times. (5%)

D.Henry ran the ball 110 times.  He had 0 or negative yards 16 times. (14%)

 

D.Henry had 25 runs in the 4th quarter, and averaged 2.6 YPC on those runs.

Of those 25 runs, he had 0 or negative yardage 5 times, the same 20% as Murray above. (Claim 3)

D.Henry had only 7 runs, of 3rd and 3 or less to convert.

Of those 7 runs of 3rd and 1, 2, or 3 he converted 4 of them.  57% success rate.

 

3UtNDzIpfXPHq0ZkNSe0YFlcMKo=.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a dangerous game to assume Henry would extrapolate and still maintain his average over a full year starting. Im not saying he wont do better this year, but he also had the benefit of fresh legs and a tired defense in the 4th quarter. Murray was a workhorse, and played through an injury. If you were playing with a 9-16 point lead, its understandable to see avgs drop due to defenses stacking to stop the run.

I still maintain that rushing offense was the furthest thing that kept you out of the playoffs. If you honestly think that was the one thing that kept you out of it, then i question your takes on anything.

For example...toby gerhart averaged 7.9 YPC the year before becoming a full time starter then proceeded to drop to 3.2, then to 2.2. Montee ball averaged 4.7 YPC then became the starter and proceeded to have an injury filled season where he only averaged 3.1 YPC, ETC.

When it comes to touchdowns, expecting 12 or more is ludacris. In 2012 only 4 reached this feat, 2 in 2013, 2 in 2014, 0 in 2015, 5 in 2016, and the only one to do it with any consistensy in that time was Marshawn lynch. Otherwise your talking about guys like ridley, morris, D. MURRAY, L. Murray, etc who all only did it once in the past 5 years.

@DerrickHenrysCleats im glad your excited about your boy henry, and im with you on believing he has a bright future. But you should respect what murray has brought to your team and what he does for you, hes been a great workhorse RB churning out tough yards, and besides your 4th quarter infatuation, almost every claim youve made has been proven otherwise. Hes been a great goal line back and a great chain mover on a team that had little threat coming from elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Its a dangerous game to assume Henry would extrapolate and still maintain his average over a full year starting. Im not saying he wont do better this year, but he also had the benefit of fresh legs and a tired defense in the 4th quarter. Murray was a workhorse, and played through an injury. If you were playing with a 9-16 point lead, its understandable to see avgs drop due to defenses stacking to stop the run.

I still maintain that rushing offense was the furthest thing that kept you out of the playoffs. If you honestly think that was the one thing that kept you out of it, then i question your takes on anything.

For example...toby gerhart averaged 7.9 YPC the year before becoming a full time starter then proceeded to drop to 3.2, then to 2.2. Montee ball averaged 4.7 YPC then became the starter and proceeded to have an injury filled season where he only averaged 3.1 YPC, ETC.

When it comes to touchdowns, expecting 12 or more is ludacris. In 2012 only 4 reached this feat, 2 in 2013, 2 in 2014, 0 in 2015, 5 in 2016, and the only one to do it with any consistensy in that time was Marshawn lynch. Otherwise your talking about guys like ridley, morris, D. MURRAY, L. Murray, etc who all only did it once in the past 5 years.

@DerrickHenrysCleats im glad your excited about your boy henry, and im with you on believing he has a bright future. But you should respect what murray has brought to your team and what he does for you, hes been a great workhorse RB churning out tough yards, and besides your 4th quarter infatuation, almost every claim youve made has been proven otherwise. Hes been a great goal line back and a great chain mover on a team that had little threat coming from elsewhere.

 

You must have never seem derrick Henry plat in college.

 

He didnt even hardly work up a lather in any game this year.

 

Henry is great in the 4th quarter cause he is the size of a LB that has pounded them 20 times a game heading into tge 4th quarter.

 

Thats when the work ethic that sylvester croom talks about takes over. Henry is built to take advantage of a tired defense after he has worn them down all game.

 

Demarco has been serviceable but Tennessee could have cut him and either resigned on a team friendly deal and used the savings to land themselves a top norch defenzive free agent and never miss a beat with Henry.

 

Demarco is pretty good but he wears down as the game and season goes on now, something Henry wont face for several years barring injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

You must have never seem derrick Henry plat in college.

 

He didnt even hardly work up a lather in any game this year.

 

Henry is great in the 4th quarter cause he is the size of a LB that has pounded them 20 times a game heading into tge 4th quarter.

 

Thats when the work ethic that sylvester croom talks about takes over. Henry is built to take advantage of a tired defense after he has worn them down all game.

 

Demarco has been serviceable but Tennessee could have cut him and either resigned on a team friendly deal and used the savings to land themselves a top norch defenzive free agent and never miss a beat with Henry.

 

Demarco is pretty good but he wears down as the game and season goes on now, something Henry wont face for several years barring injury.

I am actually a huge fan of henry, always have been. Im just not naive to the transition it takes from college to the NFL, or naive to the production demarco has given you. I agree with you, henry is a physical freak. But i dont agree that Demarco was the reason you didnt make the playoffs. TEN is in a great situation with two great backs, keeping each other fresh. I just dont see the need to rush henry into the starting role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

 

Demarco is pretty good but he wears down as the game and season goes on now, something Henry wont face for several years barring injury.

How come Derrick Henry is almost a full yard worse per carry than Murray in the 4th quarter (3.5 vs 2.6)?  Saw a whole lot of "Murray sucks, Henry rocks" after FFC posted, but nothing about the fact that Henry doesn't compare favorably to Murray in the areas you're talking about.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jbshaw said:

How come Derrick Henry is almost a full yard worse per carry than Murray in the 4th quarter (3.5 vs 2.6)?  Saw a whole lot of "Murray sucks, Henry rocks" after FFC posted, but nothing about the fact that Henry doesn't compare favorably to Murray in the areas you're talking about.  

 

Its pretty simple really, Henry hasnt been punishing the defense for 3 full quarters prior to that 4th quarter. Henrys main trait is strength to wear you down over time and then to gash them in the 4th quarter.

 

I addressed that in one of my previous posts about Henrys imposing physical presence that wears down the D over the course of the game.

 

Henry just doesnt have enough carries yet, the more involved the titans keep him the stronger he will get.

 

What areas are you talking about? Ive already pointed out that Henry on limited touches has a better yards per carry average and a better yards per reception average for the season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone is arguing that Henry is talented.  Derrick Henry is very talented, and he is a great hammer to wear down a defense.  

 

However, for the sake of his fantasy value in 2017 (which this forum is designed for), as it stands, he is nothing more than a handcuff/late round lotto ticket.

 

D. Murray is still the starter, and isn't even close yet to the 1,800 carry mark.  Titans have a great O-line, and I expect Murray to have another great year.  Henry will get his carries and a few TDs here and there, however, he is nothing more than cuff/ticket as the roster stands now.

 

Once they release Murray next year or the year after, then yes, Henry will become a consistent top 10 back IMO.  But for 2017, D. Murray is an RB1, and Henry is a bench guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with @Fort4242 and will add:

Henry is the best handcuff RB in the league by a good margin.

As the best handcuff in the league, Henry's ADP will be a little too rich for me given the Murray owner would most likely be using a fairly high pick to secure Henry if he was inclined to handcuff his RB1.

People are already mentioning late 5th/6th round as his ADP.

In a redraft league, I am still trying to draft starters in those rounds.

 

I think we can all agree that Henry has high potential, but unless you fully believe Murray will get hurt, Henry's ADP will just be too high to represent draft value to a non-Murray owner.

His statistical performance for 2017 has to be in line with what a solid back-up RB would give you... why would it be any different?

I cannot see him take the job away from Murray, the guy that has performed to the level of his big contract as the team's RB1.

  

Edited by Winky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think DHC has been dippin' into whatever DGB used to be smokin' back in the college days that kept getting him suspended.

 

  And I don't believe DHC is a Titans fan as much as he is a Roll Tide fan. Extrapolating the fact that Henry's a 'Bama alumni RB odds are good that he isn't inclined to be a stud at the NFL level. Tennessee is extending his career before he becomes the next great bust. Hopefully by watching DeMarco he can learn from one of best in the last 5 years how to be a consummate all around back. 

 

  As a somewhat Titans fan from back in the Air McNair days  I'd like to to see Derrick succeed. Obviously Coach Nick doesn't prepare his RB's to do what it takes at the next level so let DH observe & learn from one of the best workhorse RB's of his time in Murray. Maybe then he can break the Tuscaloosa Curse :ph34r: 

Edited by howlin' 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

I think DHC has been dippin' into whatever DGB used to be smokin' back in the college days that kept getting him suspended.

 

  And I don't believe DHC is a Titans fan as much as he is a Roll Tide fan. Extrapolating the fact that Henry's a 'Bama alumni RB odds are good that he isn't inclined to be a stud at the NFL level. Tennessee is extending his career before he becomes the next great bust. Hopefully by watching DeMarco he can learn from one of best in the last 5 years how to be a consummate all around back. 

 

  As a somewhat Titans fan from back in the Air McNair days  I'd like to to see Derrick succeed. Obviously Coach Nick doesn't prepare his RB's to do what it takes at the next level so let DH observe & learn from one of the best workhorse RB's of his time in Murray. Maybe then he can break the Tuscaloosa Curse :ph34r: 

 

While I am not comparing the type of back, size, speed and so on... I am comparing the situation to Michael Turner being behind LT. We all know Turner like Henry is waiting for his big moment, but he will have to wait for his chance behind a proven studly back. Just because the coaches know he is good, doesnt mean that the coaches think he is better than Murray. I believe this is the case. Murray has succeeded and is being paid like he needs the ball all the time. How they used Henry last year was perfect and should do the same with maybe even a few more touches. Murray is a stud, I think some lose that thought because of Philly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mavis said:

 

While I am not comparing the type of back, size, speed and so on... I am comparing the situation to Michael Turner being behind LT. We all know Turner like Henry is waiting for his big moment, but he will have to wait for his chance behind a proven studly back. Just because the coaches know he is good, doesnt mean that the coaches think he is better than Murray. I believe this is the case. Murray has succeeded and is being paid like he needs the ball all the time. How they used Henry last year was perfect and should do the same with maybe even a few more touches. Murray is a stud, I think some lose that thought because of Philly. 

 

Michael Turner cant carry Derrick Henry's jock strap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mavis said:

 

While I am not comparing the type of back, size, speed and so on... I am comparing the situation to Michael Turner being behind LT. We all know Turner like Henry is waiting for his big moment, but he will have to wait for his chance behind a proven studly back. Just because the coaches know he is good, doesnt mean that the coaches think he is better than Murray. I believe this is the case. Murray has succeeded and is being paid like he needs the ball all the time. How they used Henry last year was perfect and should do the same with maybe even a few more touches. Murray is a stud, I think some lose that thought because of Philly. 

 

Murray has had the luxury of running behind top level offensive linemen.

 

Realistically TEN should have cut Murray this year and gone with the more talented and cheaper RB in Henry and uograded their defensive backfield.

 

They didnt so now they will plug along with Murray and his 6 million dollar baggage contract until his wheels fall off and then DH leads smart fantasy owners to the promised land.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Murray has had the luxury of running behind top level offensive linemen.

 

Realistically TEN should have cut Murray this year and gone with the more talented and cheaper RB in Henry and uograded their defensive backfield.

 

They didnt so now they will plug along with Murray and his 6 million dollar baggage contract until his wheels fall off and then DH leads smart fantasy owners to the promised land.

 

That is idiotic management...they're on the hook for Murray's salary this year regardless of whether he's on the roster. No reason to cut their best RB without any financial benefit in doing so. 2018 is a different story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Michael Turner cant carry Derrick Henry's jock strap

 

Lets see Henry score 10+ TDs for 5 yrs in a row while making first team All-Pro like Turner did before making such outlandish statements. Because right now Henry can't even carry Murray's pads. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mavis said:

"Just because the coaches know he is good, doesnt mean that the coaches think he is better than Murray. I believe this is the case. Murray has succeeded and is being paid like he needs the ball all the time. How they used Henry last year was perfect and should do the same with maybe even a few more touches. Murray is a stud, I think some lose that thought because of Philly." 

 

I didn't draft Murray, I felt good targeting guys like Gordon & Howard. Early I wanted AJ Green & Jordo, Murray was long gone by the time the back of the third rolled around. I thought his move to TEN was positive, anything was better than Philly at that point. Buffalo is the only team that had more yards before contact than TEN. From Murray's latest meme, which I'm sure you've seen: 

 

"Mularkey said the same thing last month. It stands to reason that sophomore Derrick Henry will get more opportunities following an impressive rookie campaign, but at least to begin the year, the Titans will attempt to maintain the status quo. Headed into his age-29 season, Murray faded down the stretch in 2016." 

 

This is an alternative scenario some of us see playing out, potentially. Remember, FFC isn't where any of us are going to be drafting & Henry's adp took an inexplicable 3-rd leap earlier in the year. He went as high as the 8th pick in the fifth round, but has since lost 2 slots. Consider also that his "Times Drafted" figure isn't a strong one. But even as a late 5th rd pick, that player isn't going to cripple your chances. But he may very well help you win out. Given that on the wing this team isn't very deep or imposing, Henry could get his touches despite Murray. According to footballoutsiders.com David Johnson was the only RB on the field more frequently than Murray. Do the Titans really need him out there that often & is that even what's in the team's best interest?

 

Murray got worn down, accordingly, he only averaged 3.5 ypc over the last six games. To say that he played hurt & yet, they fed him anyway when he wasn't as effective doesn't sound all that enticing. If they push him that hard & he wears down again, surely you'll concede that he isn't their only option. Especially when a commitment to him will no longer be a factor late. I think ultimately, a 60/40 split is just as likely, if not more so & Henry's share could come in chunks as the season wears on.

 

So the philosophy, their personnel & Henry's skill set, those real things could facilitate him getting upwards of 15 touches per. He may well be a good flex option regardless of what happens with Murray. The team is high on him and have said they want to involve him more. A second scenario is that Murray gets worn down, a third is he gets injured again & this time they turn to Henry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On Fri Apr 07 2017 at 10:57 AM, markrc99 said:

 

I didn't draft Murray, I felt good targeting guys like Gordon & Howard. Early I wanted AJ Green & Jordo, Murray was long gone by the time the back of the third rolled around. I thought his move to TEN was positive, anything was better than Philly at that point. Buffalo is the only team that had more yards before contact than TEN. From Murray's latest meme, which I'm sure you've seen: 

 

"Mularkey said the same thing last month. It stands to reason that sophomore Derrick Henry will get more opportunities following an impressive rookie campaign, but at least to begin the year, the Titans will attempt to maintain the status quo. Headed into his age-29 season, Murray faded down the stretch in 2016." 

 

This is an alternative scenario some of us see playing out, potentially. Remember, FFC isn't where any of us are going to be drafting & Henry's adp took an inexplicable 3-rd leap earlier in the year. He went as high as the 8th pick in the fifth round, but has since lost 2 slots. Consider also that his "Times Drafted" figure isn't a strong one. But even as a late 5th rd pick, that player isn't going to cripple your chances. But he may very well help you win out. Given that on the wing this team isn't very deep or imposing, Henry could get his touches despite Murray. According to footballoutsiders.com David Johnson was the only RB on the field more frequently than Murray. Do the Titans really need him out there that often & is that even what's in the team's best interest?

 

Murray got worn down, accordingly, he only averaged 3.5 ypc over the last six games. To say that he played hurt & yet, they fed him anyway when he wasn't as effective doesn't sound all that enticing. If they push him that hard & he wears down again, surely you'll concede that he isn't their only option. Especially when a commitment to him will no longer be a factor late. I think ultimately, a 60/40 split is just as likely, if not more so & Henry's share could come in chunks as the season wears on.

 

So the philosophy, their personnel & Henry's skill set, those real things could facilitate him getting upwards of 15 touches per. He may well be a good flex option regardless of what happens with Murray. The team is high on him and have said they want to involve him more. A second scenario is that Murray gets worn down, a third is he gets injured again & this time they turn to Henry.

 

You are exactly right. Henry will have stand alone weekly value as a flex and is a high end RB1 when Demarco gets hurt.

 

Definite value to Henry in rounds 6-8 versus some WR2 you might get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 96mnc locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • 96mnc locked and unlocked this topic
  • 96mnc locked and unlocked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...