NBC Sports Edge Forums

Steven Souza 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

I was starting to believe, then his Ks have come roaring back so I'm off board again unless it's a deeper league.

I mean, he's struck out more, but it's still not nearly as bad as it's been. 

This Year: 23.8% K, 15.9% BB

Last Year: 34.0% K, 6.6% BB

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, ArcaneCharge said:

I mean, he's struck out more, but it's still not nearly as bad as it's been. 

This Year: 23.8% K, 15.9% BB

Last Year: 34.0% K, 6.6% BB

But in his last 9 games: 15Ks, 4BBs. The walks are an improvement but I think he's still Steven Souza even if a bit more patient version. Without a great deal of power and speed I don't think the low AVG that will likely come is worth it.

31 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Without a great deal of power and speed I don't think the low AVG that will likely come is worth it.

And that's exactly my concern as an owner, but the AVG just doesn't drop. Against all odds he's been going strong around .300 the entire season.

4 hours ago, ArcaneCharge said:

And that's exactly my concern as an owner, but the AVG just doesn't drop. Against all odds he's been going strong around .300 the entire season.

Entire season? Yes, 'cause it's a hell of a big sample size...

1 hour ago, VitorSH said:

Entire season? Yes, 'cause it's a hell of a big sample size...

Are you saying that his average is going to drop? Every indication is there. High BABIP, not-so-great contact. I think it will too. I'm just saying that this is a guy that has shown in the past that he can do things that you wouldn't expect a player to be able to do, and he might stay a statistical anomaly.

39 minutes ago, ArcaneCharge said:

Are you saying that his average is going to drop? Every indication is there. High BABIP, not-so-great contact. I think it will too. I'm just saying that this is a guy that has shown in the past that he can do things that you wouldn't expect a player to be able to do, and he might stay a statistical anomaly.

I'm saying that 2 weeks is too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions.

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Why are we assuming he doesn't have power all of a sudden? 

He hit a HR in fenway that looked like a pop up. Didn't get all of it at all.

He has easy power.

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

I know nothing about this guy other than he's mashing right now.  Is he for real or is he a sell-high?

Nobody really knows. His stats seem to say that he's getting lucky, but he's a former IL MVP and he's put up crazy numbers in AAA and September last year. He's had a serious K problem in his MLB time, but it's down somewhat so far. The Rays traded Wil Myers for this guy, so they clearly thought highly of him. I'm hanging on to him, but I am a Rays fan.

48 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

Not to take anything away, but the HR was kind of lucky as well. It was hit over a low part of the wall. A few feet the other way, it probably bounces off the wall for a double. Still, he's off to a great start and is an intriguing option at this point.

On the other hand, that HR was with an exit velocity of 111.7 MPH at 18 degrees. If he is just a centimeter or so under it to get the degrees up a little bit more, it is a no doubt HR. Thunderous crack off the bat.

A little lucky on this particular HR, but the power is real, and it's a "should have been a 2b or 3b" not "should have been a flyball out" kind of luck.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Freakout.

Sounds like the one to me. Really looks like a hot start, the only thing improved is his BB% so good in OBPers not much else seems better.

He's still Steven Souza, he'll have his streaks.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:56 PM, JJ1223 said:

I know nothing about this guy other than he's mashing right now.  Is he for real or is he a sell-high?

What are you going to sell high on him for?  Guys like this with very little history and isn't a "hyped" player preseason usually don't net much of anything for trade value.  If you can get someone to deal you a legit, known quantity for Souza I'd take it right now, but I doubt anyone is offering up anything decent.