NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kelvin Benjamin 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested to be completely honest. Played well the last two weeks of the season, but he looked dreadful at times throughout the season. Ended with a 53% catch rate and 5% drop rate which is just meh.

Edited by FlashGordon401

Not interested at all.  His rookie season was inflated by high TD numbers, and last year was a disaster.  I will be staying away from Kelvin this year, or really any Panthers player not names Greg Olsen.  Offense is too inconsistent for me.  2015 clearly an anomaly.  

6 hours ago, raltherr said:

Too much uncertainty for me.   I would grab him late as a WR3 but I bet his ADP is higher than I'd be comfortable with. 

WR18 last year.

Not sure why you have him outside the top 24.

16 hours ago, jmausen said:

WR18 last year.

Not sure why you have him outside the top 24.

That was last year.  Changes coming on offense and Cam recovering from a rotator cuff surgery.  Like I said, too much uncertainty.

so we have a bunch of  "not interested at all".   Im not saying i disagree with the hesitancy, but every one has a price in FF

What would be the area in any format that he would slip to, to where you would start contemplating pulling the trigger???  Early ADP/12 team i believe has him around round 5.  

36 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

so we have a bunch of  "not interested at all".   Im not saying i disagree with the hesitancy, but every one has a price in FF

What would be the area in any format that he would slip to, to where you would start contemplating pulling the trigger???  Early ADP/12 team i believe has him around round 5.  

Yeah, I have interest.  He's not a DND candidate.  But round 5 is too high for me.

35 minutes ago, raltherr said:

Yeah, I have interest.  He's not a DND candidate.  But round 5 is too high for me.

Agreed, the 5th feels to rich for my liking given the names in that area i would favor over him.  i feel like if he's there in the later part of the 6th round, i would start to warm up to the idea. If he hits the 7th, I'm in.  Just curious how far some of the big time doubters would rank him as of today.

2 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Agreed, the 5th feels to rich for my liking given the names in that area i would favor over him.  i feel like if he's there in the later part of the 6th round, i would start to warm up to the idea. If he hits the 7th, I'm in.  Just curious how far some of the big time doubters would rank him as of today.

I'm as big a doubter as there has been; he's a low-end WR4 for me. 

4 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I'm as big a doubter as there has been; he's a low-end WR4 for me. 

do you think there is a chance is target total jumps back up a bit??  It took a dive in 16' but KB flashes some good things at times but i feel like he's inconsistent, as was the entire Panthers offense last year.  They had big time OL problems as well after talking about the Panthers with a few others in here.  Are you just down on his talent overall or his situation? or both?   Im just trying to get a feel for the upside or downside for KB in 17'.

I just drafted him as my WR 3. He fell below current ADP ranking but you guys have to remember that Cam also had his first bad season. He was also returning from a Torn ACL. Full healthy off season ...I'm buying his stock & I'm certain (barring injury) He will be drafted as a WR-2 by the Summer

19 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

do you think there is a chance is target total jumps back up a bit??  It took a dive in 16' but KB flashes some good things at times but i feel like he's inconsistent, as was the entire Panthers offense last year.  They had big time OL problems as well after talking about the Panthers with a few others in here.  Are you just down on his talent overall or his situation? or both?   Im just trying to get a feel for the upside or downside for KB in 17'.

I am down on his talent (50% catch rate in his career which is horrendous) and his situation (starting QB requiring surgery on his throwing shoulder and may not be ready by week 1 no matter how rosy the team tries to spin it right now).  

When CAR forces the ball to him, they are a much worse offense...not a coincidence that when Cam was forced to spread the wealth to more efficient WRs (in 2015), he won MVP.  

Plus I expect the CAR defense to be better in 2017, which will lead to fewer garbage-time opportunities that KB thrived on in 2014 and 2016.  His only hope is that he scores 13-14 TDs which I don't think is likely at all.  He basically needs 140+ targets to even be considered as a low-end WR2, and that's unlikely to happen...most GOOD wide receivers with that target volume would be pushing WR1 status. 

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

The entire Panthers offense was inconsistent last year due to the receivers. The team got worse with Benjamin back on the field.
As a Cam owner, it was so deflating watching him drill guys in the hands on 3rd and long only to watch the ball fall to the ground. Absolute momentum killer.
Talent isn't there for Benjamin and his situation is only going to get worse.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS

I'm hoping that the Panthers draft a stud WR early. If not, Rivera might find himself on the hot seat again. This offense is going nowhere with benjamin and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on funch as well.

Edited by CL3VELANDBR0WNS
1 hour ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

I'm hoping that the Panthers draft a stud WR early. If not, Rivera might find himself on the hot seat again. This offense is going nowhere with benjamin and I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on funch as well.

First round they should go DE.

Second round if a RT falls to them they should pounce. 

But 3rd round?   Jump on that wr.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

First round they should go DE.

Second round if a RT falls to them they should pounce. 

But 3rd round?   Jump on that wr.

Can one dream about Cam Newton throwing to Corey Davis?
I'd like a guy like JuJu for a variety of teams assuming he somehow slips into the 3rd.

6 minutes ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Can one dream about Cam Newton throwing to Corey Davis?
I'd like a guy like JuJu for a variety of teams assuming he somehow slips into the 3rd.

If they actually want to win the SB they need to improve the lines.   Charles Johnson is done and they traded away Ealy.  And their crappy OTs got Cam killed.

JuJu in the 3rd makes a lot of sense for them.

• 1 month later...

Source: The Charlotte Observer - Joseph Person

Carolina Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin has been receiving extra treatment at the Panthers' facility for purposes of general fitness and well-being, according to head coach Ron Rivera.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

There was a big hullabaloo last week when Benjamin showed up to offseason workouts out of shape. There's plenty of time for him to get his conditioning right before the start of the regular season. Benjamin didn't have the bounce-back year some were expecting last year after missing all of 2015. There's a chance Benjamin could do that this year, and the team already picked up his option for 2018.

3 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Source: The Charlotte Observer - Joseph Person

Carolina Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin has been receiving extra treatment at the Panthers' facility for purposes of general fitness and well-being, according to head coach Ron Rivera.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

There was a big hullabaloo last week when Benjamin showed up to offseason workouts out of shape. There's plenty of time for him to get his conditioning right before the start of the regular season. Benjamin didn't have the bounce-back year some were expecting last year after missing all of 2015. There's a chance Benjamin could do that this year, and the team already picked up his option for 2018.

I doubt it.  While the weight itself isn't exactly great, it certainly is fixable (although losing 50 pounds in 3 months is ridiculous, but so are most athletes' calorie consumptions).  However, it's a big read flag regarding his dedication and professionalism

• 2 weeks later...

Video at otas today was not very flattering. Looked sluggish, rounded out his routes and caught with his body.

On the verge of an olsen replacement rather then Newtons future #1.

Time for me to get off this train

http://www.12up.com/posts/5042354-video-kelvin-benjamin-looks-shockingly-big-at-panthers-otas?a_aid=41147

Edited by vikingapocalypse
7 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Video at otas today was not very flattering. Looked sluggish, rounded out his routes and caught with his body.

On the verge of an olsen replacement rather then Newtons future #1.

Time for me to get off this train

http://www.12up.com/posts/5042354-video-kelvin-benjamin-looks-shockingly-big-at-panthers-otas?a_aid=41147

McCaffrey and Olsen are the best WRs on that team. Sleep on either at your peril.