NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kelvin Benjamin 2017 Season Outlook

8 hours ago, FinsUp24 said:

I don't really get the hate for this guy. Sure he's not your typical WR, but his size is what makes him special. He is a great RZ weapon. Last season was considered a disappointment for Benjamin and the Panthers offense in general and Benjamin still put up 940 yard and 7 TDs. I think the additions of McCaffrey and Samuel only help Benjamin. Neither of those rookies look poised to be TD machines, but they will bring a much needed spark to this offense which will provide Benjamin with some extra RZ looks.

He getting drafted right about where he belongs right now.  In PPR format he's going early in the 6th round as the 29th WR overall.  Last year he finished as the 32nd WR.  So, unless he improves quite a bit I'd say he's being treated appropriately right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking Tuesday, Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Kelvin Benjamin is "where he needs to be" weight-wise.

The Panthers put Benjamin on blast during the offseason, but he got the message. Despite the weight issues and a disappointing 2016, Benjamin is still the Panthers' No. 1 receiver. If he can avoid Eddie Lacy status, he's a touchdown scorer who should produce as a WR2/3.

I like him this year. He is a year removed from an ACL tear. He put up over 1,000 Yds Rec. in his rookie campaign an almost 1,000 last year. He is the Panthers #1 WR and looks like a freak of nature at 6'5 240. Has a nice floor and this is only his third year on the field. I don't know that we've seen this guys upside yet. At a current ADP in the 6th round I'll get him where I can.

40 minutes ago, The Caucasian Sensation said:

I like him this year. He is a year removed from an ACL tear. He put up over 1,000 Yds Rec. in his rookie campaign an almost 1,000 last year. He is the Panthers #1 WR and looks like a freak of nature at 6'5 240. Has a nice floor and this is only his third year on the field. I don't know that we've seen this guys upside yet. At a current ADP in the 6th round I'll get him where I can.

Panthers new adds of mccaff and samuel points to them throwing underneath more than the deep ball. kelvin looks like he will be the redzone magnet in this new offense; assuming cam can elevate his passing game

2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Comparing players going around the same time at drafts and you might have to choose one or the other, who do you take?

Benjamin or Moncrief (assuming Luck is good to go)

Why?

I come across this decision every damn mock. Would love to hear some input on this.

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Comparing players going around the same time at drafts and you might have to choose one or the other, who do you take?

Why?

PPR or Standard?

PPR, neither.  Give me Sanders, Garcon, Maclin (if he shows well PS and Flacco is healthy) and maybe even Smokey and Meredith.

I owned Benjamin his rookie season (to great effect), and Moncrief last season (barely serviceable).  Not thrilled with the skill set of either of them, but that's just me.  If others like what they see, I ok with that.

10 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Why?

Although I was admittedly turned off by Benjamin's "heavy" photo and considered that poor preparation for his contract year, I would draft Benjamin over Moncrief.

I've had two $$ drafts this season where each player went before the other, so these players certainly appear to be in the same tier.

Why Benjamin?

Simply, he is the WR1 on Carolina, he is a red zone target, and (nothing scientific) I think the weight stuff put a chip on his shoulder.

I also think Cam Newton has a chip on his shoulder and he will deliver this season + I like contract year WRs... 

I think the rookies (CMc & Samuel) pull attention away from Benjamin affording a 1-on-1 size mismatch against most any DB.

Moncrief is a nice player, but he is second in the pecking order to a Top 10 level WR in Hilton.

Remarkably, Moncrief is heading in to his 4th season, but has not yet turned 24.

Clearly, he is a red zone target for Luck, but is he anything else? That is still TBD.

He is also in a contract year, so add that to the "pro" side of the ledger.

He missed a few games last season... had that been a full season, he probably would have been ahead of Benjamin statistically and maybe my opinion changes.

Both are good players with pretty situations... it's basically splitting hairs, but I'll default to Benjamin.

42 minutes ago, Winky said:

Although I was admittedly turned off by Benjamin's "heavy" photo and considered that poor preparation for his contract year, I would draft Benjamin over Moncrief.

I've had two $$ drafts this season where each player went before the other, so these players certainly appear to be in the same tier.

Why Benjamin?

Simply, he is the WR1 on Carolina, he is a red zone target, and (nothing scientific) I think the weight stuff put a chip on his shoulder.

I also think Cam Newton has a chip on his shoulder and he will deliver this season + I like contract year WRs... 

I think the rookies (CMc & Samuel) pull attention away from Benjamin affording a 1-on-1 size mismatch against most any DB.

Moncrief is a nice player, but he is second in the pecking order to a Top 10 level WR in Hilton.

Remarkably, Moncrief is heading in to his 4th season, but has not yet turned 24.

Clearly, he is a red zone target for Luck, but is he anything else? That is still TBD.

He is also in a contract year, so add that to the "pro" side of the ledger.

He missed a few games last season... had that been a full season, he probably would have been ahead of Benjamin statistically and maybe my opinion changes.

Both are good players with pretty situations... it's basically splitting hairs, but I'll default to Benjamin.

Man, I feel like you are reading my mind.  

Those are all my arguments for and against both guys also.

The one wild card for me however is Luck's shoulder.  If it's still bad my decision is easy.  If he's ready to rock and roll though I see Moncrief with terrific upside.  I will probably lean KB based on the things you said, but if this team can get some OLine help this is the closest thing I see out there today to the Peyton Manning Broncos under Fox where every offensive player was top 10 at their position.  

2014 Andrew Luck may never show his face again though, but I still believe.

I owned KB in his rookie year as well as owned Moncrief last year. I'm taking KB this year for sure.  Big bounce back year and one extra year away from ACL.  If KB can stay healthy he's going to have a big year. I hope things don't get to hyped up for him as I want to get him at a reasonable price.

More good news for KB. He was rumored to weigh as much as 280 pounds before camp, now he's down to 243 pounds. He and Cam must be working out together because Cam lost weight, too.

Source: The Charlotte Observer - Joseph Person

Carolina Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin reported to training camp at 243 pounds - according to head coach Ron Rivera - after reportedly weighing 'about 270' in April, per Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer.

4 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

More good news for KB. He was rumored to weigh as much as 280 pounds before camp, now he's down to 243 pounds. He and Cam must be working out together because Cam lost weight, too.

Source: The Charlotte Observer - Joseph Person

Carolina Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin reported to training camp at 243 pounds - according to head coach Ron Rivera - after reportedly weighing 'about 270' in April, per Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer.

I love his value in drafts at the moment. He has very high TD upside. Great pick in the later rounds in non ppr and cheap in auction as well. You don't take on much risk where you can currently get him in drafts.

7 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Just turned it on. What's he done?

Did CMC and Samuels play?

First catch he stiff armed someone with ease to the ground and gained an additional 10 yards, next catch was a jump ball grab for a touchdown in which he easily went over Jonathan Joseph.

CMC has been in, had a nice run for 12 yards. Haven't seen Samuels.

Edited by Yanksfan06

I'm having a hard time ranking him in the top-30 wr's because there are a lot I like, but pending team build he could be a strong buy for me. If I have a PPR type, say a Allen/Tate/Diggs/etc type as my wr2,  Benjamin is very appealing as a wr3. He has weekly touchdown upside. The potential is there for a 70-1000-9 season. That receiving core isn't deep, and he always looks like a giant when on the field. 

2 hours ago, Finally Detroit Wins said:

DA has always been a good backup (for fantasy purposes) so regardless if Cam is ready for Week 1, Benjamin looks like he can pick up where he left off in his rookie year.

Holy smokes. That's legit. High point that thing! Moving way up my board.

Glad people are finally on board with Kelvin Benjamin.

Sucks that his ADP is now going to rise and he won't be a hidden value anymore.