NBC Sports Edge Forums

Trey Mancini 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I don't see him getting many ABs initially.  The O's have a ton of OF and seem committed to using platoons in LF (Rickard/Kim) and RF (Smith/Gentry), Trumbo as full-time DH, and Crash at 1B.  

If Mancini can get himself involved in the RF platoon, that's awesome, but he's never played a regular season game in RF, and only a handful of ST starts (LINK).  Buck has shown that he's willing to let players who hit man RF (e.g. Trumbo in previous years), but they're trying to get some better OF defense this year.

However, with their histories, there's a decent possibility that Smith and/or Gentry will get injured or released due to poor play.  If Mancini keeps hitting and shows he can play the field, that'll help with the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Does he have a path to playing time in LF? Who else does BAL have that could hold him back if he begins to hit well frequently?

Right now he's really just competing with Kim. And Buck seems to be favoring Mancini a bit more right now although it could just be an anomaly. Gentry is also in the mix but he seems to be playing more time at RF. 

12 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Does he have a path to playing time in LF? Who else does BAL have that could hold him back if he begins to hit well frequently?

Smith and Kim aren't going to play against LHP, so Mancini should get all the starts against lefties.  Against RHP, as previously mentioned, he's basically battling Kim and Craig Gentry, though Gentry is a 4th OF type.

Smith's leading off and has always mashed RHP, so I doubt he's going anywhere (though he does get hurt sometimes).  It's really Mancini vs. Kim for the LF playing time against RHP.

Kim last year slashed .302/.382/.420 in 305 ABs, so he can hit for AVG, but there's not much power to speak of.  Mancini, on the other hand, has a bit more pop with 23 HRs last year across AA, AAA, and MLB.

Seth Smith is starting in RF or DH vs all right handed starters. Trumbo is starting in RF or DH vs everyone (except for an off day obviously). Gentry only made the opening day roster because they didn't need a 4th or 5th starter. He'll probably get sent down once Rickard is activated from the DL. He's just the 4th OF.

Kim has only played LF. He's not very good out there but he's not horrible. Buck doesn't seem to really like him though. Last year it took a full month of hitting .350 for him to finally start getting playing time. I think it's because he refused the minor league assignment out of Spring Training but that's just my opinion.

TL:DR: Mancini is fighting Kim for starts vs right handers in LF and should start in LF, RF, or DH vs all left handers.

Can we talk more about this guy? What does everyone know about him and what are the chances that he's going to get regular playing time?

I've got him stashed on my bench right now and he's looking pretty darn good.

26 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Anyone else hear his name and think of that Mancini meatball commercial they played endlessly on espn radio years ago?

I think of Boom Boom Mancini

All I can think of is homers... started at 1b today and I think another start or two in the outfield and he'll gain some eligibility....he's hitting his way into more playing time I would think...

3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Can we talk more about this guy? What does everyone know about him and what are the chances that he's going to get regular playing time?

He's probably going to be in a platoon situation between corner OF, 1B and DH.  With the way he's hitting now, I sure he'll get regular playing time for at least a few days.  Seth Smith has been raking too and Kim is a solid AVG hitter.  The future is clearly Mancini at DH or corner OF but for now it doesn't look like regular playing time. 

3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

just added him in my deep keeper.  never know if its fools gold or the real thing

40 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

just added him in my deep keeper.  never know if its fools gold or the real thing

I think he's the real deal.  .306/.357/.472 career minor league line.  I saw him play at Norfolk and he has such a quick power swing.  His numbers aren't that great at Norfolk because it's a huge park and the wind always blows in off the water.  

Picked up to see what happens BUT this thread reminds me a bunch of the Alex Guerrero thread we had when Rotoworld Users went ballistic for each home run he pinched hit and spot started. He really needs a clear path to play, and he's really just impressing right now 

Why isn't he in my Yahoo, is he only DH eligible currently?

Anyone know how many starts at said position he needs before he might appear non DL Yahoo leagues ?

I have no DL spots so thinking that may be why.