NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13ip, 10:4 K:BB, 10 hits and 0 ER so far.

He has had a great, albeit under the radar, start to the season vs the Mets and Pirates. His K's don't seem to be taking the next step which would make him an elite pitcher but he's continuing to throw a good amount of strikes and limiting damage. The Atlanta bullpen will not be his friend this year though so he takes a hit in leagues that count Wins.

He's a great stable arm to have that allows high-upside risks elsewhere like Paxton, Bundy, Nola, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Tough matchup tonight v the Mets. Mets will throw out Conforto, Bruce (1B), Granderson for the matchup and Cespedes may be back for tonight. 

I'm starting him regardless, not sure if he should be started though

Edited by goldbaby11
3 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Couldn't click the drop button fast enough.  Command is horrible, K's are horrible, plays on a bad team, has to face the Nationals.  Later Teheran!

Last year he surrendered 5 or more runs in 6 of his 30 starts last year. He has some blow ups but in the end the numbers are there. Dropping would be unwise imo but I understand if you are in H2H and just don't want to deal with volatility but dropping in roto would be a terrible, terrible decision.

5 minutes ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Last year he surrendered 5 or more runs in 6 of his 30 starts last year. He has some blow ups but in the end the numbers are there. Dropping would be unwise imo but I understand if you are in H2H and just don't want to deal with volatility but dropping in roto would be a terrible, terrible decision.

H2H league so yeah I can't deal.  I've watched him pitch several games and his command is just really, really bad.  He's been lucky to have the ERA he had before this game.  More regression is due id imagine.

This is Teheran. I was ready for this when I drafted him. He's still worth it. The 7-8 inning-double-digit-K games are coming. You just have to start him every time out to collect on that because he plays no favorites as far as when he gets lit up.

3 hours ago, SheikYerbuti said:

His blurb says he didn't record a K today.  Lucky Yahoo has some sort of glitch and it's giving him credit for 5 phantom strikeouts.  Hope they don't realize the error and fix it.

Luckily it's Rotoworld's error. He had five strikeouts. He also walked three, not one like Rotoworld's blurb said. Some nice work on that one.

wow - if youre dropping him in a 12 team league whoever picks him up will be very pleased.......hes not an ace by any means but a very solid back of the rotation dependable arm...it's still early and he was very solid last year...I'd hold.  

What worries me most is there is precedent for him to suddenly lose his command over a long stretch of time, and the results aren't pretty.  

In his first two seasons as a full time SP, 2013 and 2014, Teheran's BB/9 was 2.18 and 2.08, and the result was ERA's of 3.20 and 2.89, and WHIPs of 1.17 and 1.08.  VERY strong numbers.

But then in 2015 his command left him, and he never really seemed to get it back all season. His walk rate ballooned to 3.27 BB/9, and so did his ERA and WHIP, to 4.04 and 1.31.  I'm not sure if this was injury-related or just mental/mechanics, but he pitched 200 innings, so it wasn't a small sample size.

2016 saw the return of his command, with the walk rate going back down to 1.96 BB/9, and a tidy 3.21 ERA with 1.05 WHIP.  

Now in 2017 he's back to those 2015 ways.  4.58 BB/9, and a well-deserved 4.33 ERA.  I don't think it's park related at all, because you can't blame poor command on the park, nor can you blame 2015 on his current park. I'm very concerned that this is a trend that we're going to see all season, although I hope I'm wrong.  However as soon as he strings together a few decent starts I'm going to try to unload him, as I don't trust things are going to turn around.

23 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

wow - if youre dropping him in a 12 team league whoever picks him up will be very pleased.......hes not an ace by any means but a very solid back of the rotation dependable arm...it's still early and he was very solid last year...I'd hold.  

I'm holding onto him. Lets see how he does next outing.

This guy has ZERO trade value right now . . . I've been trying to unload him to create roster space the last few days and no takers whatsoever.  I got so desperate that I was offering him for DL players on teams that didn't have enough DL slots to house them all, and still not getting any takers.  That's as close to literally free as you can get - a healthy player for a DL'ed player that is taking up a bench spot (and we're not talking quality players here, either).