NBC Sports Edge Forums

New York Mets Medical Staff 2017 Outlook

I figured the most incompetent medical staff in baseball deserved their own low-light thread. A quick round-up:

Steven Matz:

March 26: Matz complains of irritation in his elbow after getting pummeled in a spring start. He is not shut down.

March 27: Matz throws on flat ground and the pitching coach talks speaks of him changing his arm slot (!?)

March 28: It's reported Matz also threw off the mound on 3/27, giving hope he could only miss one start at the beginning of the season. Pitching coach: "looks pretty decent."

March 29: Mets concede Matz won't be ready for the season.

March 30: Mets announce Matz received a PRP injection and will be shut down for three weeks. No ETA at this point.

Seth Lugo:

March 31: Lugo is going through a "dead arm" phase

April 1: Mets announce Lugo is expected to start the year on the DL

April 3: Lugo expects to begin throwing. Manager Terry Collins announces he'll be out "a few weeks."

April 4: Mets announce Lugo has a "slight" tear of the UCL

giphy.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mets medical staff might be the most incompetent but they are being cautious with Matz who has a strained flexor tendon and rest seems appropriate. 

Seth Lugo is also being treated cautiously with a dead arm thing.  He underwent an MRI, which revealed no structural damage, but he was placed on the disabled list with elbow inflammation.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wait - the MRI missed the UCL tear?

Just read the news about a bone spur which we all knew he had. 

Tuesday, the Mets announced that Steven Matz will undergo surgery to remove a bone spur from his left elbow, ending his season.

Is there also a UCL tear ?

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Just read the news about a bone spur which we all knew he had. 

Tuesday, the Mets announced that Steven Matz will undergo surgery to remove a bone spur from his left elbow, ending his season.

Is there also a UCL tear ?

You mentioned Seth Lugo had an MRI - my comment was in response to your statement that they found no structural damage.  He has a ligament tear.

19 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The Mets medical staff might be the most incompetent but they are being cautious with Matz who has a strained flexor tendon and rest seems appropriate. 

Seth Lugo is also being treated cautiously with a dead arm thing.  He underwent an MRI, which revealed no structural damage, but he was placed on the disabled list with elbow inflammation.

Are you a member of their medical staff? Be honest :) The reports I've heard is that there is a slight tear. 

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/mets-seth-lugo-has-slight-ucl-tear-in-right-elbow-sources-say-1.13360162

Edited by Wilford Brimley
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

That article is dated September 27, 2016

when you said UCL tear I thought you were referring to Matz and that was the first article I stumbled upon.

Not as worried about Lugo's slight tear which fortunately won't even require surgery.......at this point.

Just now, Brooklyn Dude said:

when you said UCL tear I thought you were referring to Matz and that was the first article I stumbled upon.

Not as worried about Lugo's slight tear which fortunately won't even require surgery.......at this point.

I see - I was just confused when you mentioned Lugo's MRI revealed no structural damage when we know he's rehabbing a torn arm ligament.

2 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Well I'd be really worried about it.  From Rotoworld:

According to Marc Carig of Newsday, Seth Lugo has a "slight" tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow.

Any UCL injury immediately leads to speculation about Tommy John surgery, but Carig hears that surgery won't be needed in Lugo's case. At least not yet, anyway. Lugo received a platelet-rich plasma injection in the elbow and will now rest for at least a couple of weeks. Suddenly the Mets' starting pitching depth looks like a major issue.

Plasma injection stuff usually isn't a long term fix after all.  Also the fact the NY Mets "medical" (hahaha) staff missed this earlier is pretty worrisome as well.

The problem isn't injuries occuring - the problem is injuries that occur continue to be more lengthy than expected. Mets continue to push players too hard when they have minor injuries.

Lugo may be an outlier because it was in WBC where he likely got hurt, but there is repeated evidence of this occurring with other players.

Cespedes good example last year, missed much more time than he should've because he got pushed to come back early multiple times.

It seems like they didn't treat the Matz injury seriously enough either and now he's looking at an extended absence.

31 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well I'd be really worried about it.  From Rotoworld:

Plasma injection stuff usually isn't a long term fix after all.  Also the fact the NY Mets "medical" (hahaha) staff missed this earlier is pretty worrisome as well.

It didn't show up on the first MRI.  They sent him for a second one right away though which did pick it up. 

Not sure films always show everything when they are slight.  The Mets medical staff certainly has made it's share of blunders.

Drawing the inevitable Yankees/Mets comparison, which is more painful: Having such an amazing rotation unable to get or stay healthy like you see with the Mets, or failing to develop generation after generation of starters like the Yankees have done?