NBC Sports Edge Forums

4/7 Game Day Thread - Lineups & Weather

3 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Getting shut out by Clayton Richard will cause managers to change their mind on things pretty quickly.

Lefties carved up the Dodgers all year last year and Puig is one of the few Dodgers that can hit lefties, so it makes sense.  I think against righties and once you have Seager and AGon back in there, Puig won't be in that spot.

Both sad and stupid to see Seager on the bench today in Colorado...  Seager hit better against lefties last year than Turner did, so if Roberts really wants to get Kike in there, it stinks that it's at Seager's expense. Hope this doesn't become a regular thing if a lefty is on the mound and is just a day off.

Surely they're not even remotely close to platooning Corey Seager.  It has to be a single day thing.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Wonder how a knuckleballer like Wright will fair in this kind of weather...

First inning answered that question. It was all over the place. Lucky to escape with one run.

Just now, Caelum said:

First inning answered that question. It was all over the place. Lucky to escape with one run.

Yeah he had zero control of it.

8 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Surely they're not even remotely close to platooning Corey Seager.  It has to be a single day thing.

I think so as well, but Roberts is sitting his two best hitters today and hit Franklin Gutierrez in the cleanup spot against Richard the other day.  

He really takes this righty/lefty thing to the extreme.  Maybe part of the reason they stunk last year against lefties is that you bench your best bats and run Kike Hernandez, Franklin Gutierrez, and Scott Van Slyke out there regularly.  They did it a lot last year as well.  Call me crazy, but I'd rather have the more talented guys in the lineup, especially in Colorado.  Guys aren't usually asking for days off there.

I'm not watching the Pit/ATL game, but somebody please explain to me why the cleanup hitter is bunting with a runner in scoring position and 1-out?

Just now, The Czar said:

I'm not watching the Pit/ATL game, but somebody please explain to me why the cleanup hitter is bunting with a runner in scoring position and 1-out?

it was a check swing, not an intentional bunt.

2 minutes ago, twelve20 said:

it was a check swing, not an intentional bunt.

Thanks.  Gameday said it was a bunt.

I knew it had to be something.  Didn't make any sense to me.  I thought maybe he was trying to beat the shift or something.

Just now, frankhoward said:

I think the Pirates fans were cheering the snow,they must be ecstatic to watch a baseaball game under normal conditions,instead of that ridiculous warm,sunny weather for wimps and women.B)

Women can survive the cold better than men....just sayin'

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-12/local/me-151_1_donner-party

I attended a presentation on this on the Donner Party.  

More than a few studies that back this up. The working theory is that blood flow is different for women to allow them to survive child birth, so they keep their core temperature longer than men, but are also more susceptible to temperature changes which is why their ideal temperature is 70-72 (or 70-71 in my wife's case).  Men can adapt to more gradual temperature changes better, but in extreme cold, lose their core heat faster and die.

Okay, sorry, it's the history teacher in me.  Back to baseball.

6 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Women can survive the cold better than men....just sayin'

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-12/local/me-151_1_donner-party

I attended a presentation on this on the Donner Party.  

More than a few studies that back this up. The working theory is that blood flow is different for women to allow them to survive child birth, so they keep their core temperature longer than men, but are also more susceptible to temperature changes which is why their ideal temperature is 70-72 (or 70-71 in my wife's case).  Men can adapt to more gradual temperature changes better, but in extreme cold, lose their core heat faster and die.

Okay, sorry, it's the history teacher in me.  Back to baseball.

All I know is my wife is cold all the time, and I'm hot all the time.  She sleeps under three blankets while I've barely got the sheet on me and am sweating.

Just now, JFS179 said:

All I know is my wife is cold all the time, and I'm hot all the time.  She sleeps under three blankets while I've barely got the sheet on me and am sweating.

Yup. That's totally normal and part of the premise of the studies. Men lose their heat faster in extreme cold as a result.  Also part of the irony.  Knowing stupid s--- like this is why my sister makes fun of me and calls me Cliff Clavin.

Did Polanco play in WBC? 

Seems like a lot of my WBC guys are getting off to awful starts this year like Cruz, Altuve, Bautista, etc.

They ramped it up and then cooled it down for two weeks before the season started. Just wondering if that is having any impact on cold starts for some guys.

42 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Miggy 0-1?

Sacrificed Kinsler to 3rd with no one out.  That not count as a sac fly? It was a foul ball.  That make a difference?

Anyone want to set me straight on this?  

5 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Did Polanco play in WBC? 

Seems like a lot of my WBC guys are getting off to awful starts this year like Cruz, Altuve, Bautista, etc.

They ramped it up and then cooled it down for two weeks before the season started. Just wondering if that is having any impact on cold starts for some guys.

I believe he did ... may explain some stuff.

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Anyone want to set me straight on this?  

Sac-fly will only count on a run scored because they got the desired result of scoring the run.

In the case of a foul out or fly out, the hitter's intent was not to move the runner over, but to get a hit, so it isn't a sac fly and counts as an at-bat if a run did not score.

If it was a bunt, that is different because the hitter's intent was solely to move the runner over.  In this case, it was to get a hit, so no sac fly.

Archived