Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

4/7 Game Day Thread - Lineups & Weather


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

That what they're called?  I assume it's a warmth thing?  Or just accesorizing? 

Warmth dude. Who would wear that as a fashion accessory lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

 

That what they're called?  I assume it's a warmth thing?  Or just accesorizing? 

Its the new gold chain.

 

No, its a warmth thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Some of you need to head to April overreaction thread ;) It's the first few games and it's winter out (basically) haha

Do you think my speculation that the WBC might be messing with guys is an overreaction?

 

I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me, but it did come after mine, so I don't know.

 

If it was directed at me, I don't think I overreacted in any way.  I'm just throwing out some speculation that it might be messing with some guys.  It seems like a lot of guys that played are getting off to slow starts.  It's kind of like why marathon runners don't ramp up their training the week before a race.  There may be a lull going on for some of these guys after ramping things up to playoff level intensity at a time when they would normally be preparing for the season.

 

These guys are also studs and steady performers, so I'm sure they will get it going, but I just think it's curious that Cruz (1-15), Polanco (1-14), Cutch (3-12), Altuve (3-17), Miggy (0-9), Bautista (1-11), etc. are hitting a combined 9 for 78 (.115) with no power in the early going. 

 

I don't know.  I'm just speculating at this point.  Crawford seems to be doing well, as does Murphy (although he didn't even get to play), but several other guys are really off to slow starts in the early going.  Could just be coincidence.  I don't know.

 

I actually thought the WBC would be good for many of these guys over spring training because I thought they would come into the season with the intensity level already raised, but maybe that isn't the case at all.  Like I said, it could be like the marathon runner that trains too hard the week before the race and then suffers in performance as a result.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, swfcdan said:

Warmth dude. Who would wear that as a fashion accessory lol

 

exactly, lol. It's 40 degrees out, brrrrrr.

 

Ryu hanging in there, in Coors, 4 K's thru 3...hmmm, just a matter of time, or real deal...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

 

exactly, lol. It's 40 degrees out, brrrrrr.

 

Ryu hanging in there, in Coors, 4 K's thru 3...hmmm, just a matter of time, or real deal...

 

In fairness, both pitchers are getting some favorable Ks. I don't know who the ump is but he really likes ringing people up. There's been quite a bit of bickering from both teams hitters. Story just got rang up on a real bad one high and in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Do you think my speculation that the WBC might be messing with guys is an overreaction?

 

I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me, but it did come after mine, so I don't know.

 

If it was directed at me, I don't think I overreacted in any way.  I'm just throwing out some speculation that it might be messing with some guys.  It seems like a lot of guys that played are getting off to slow starts.  It's kind of like why marathon runners don't ramp up their training the week before a race.  There may be a lull going on for some of these guys after ramping things up to playoff level intensity at a time when they would normally be preparing for the season.

 

These guys are also studs and steady performers, so I'm sure they will get it going, but I just think it's curious that Cruz (1-15), Polanco (1-14), Cutch (3-12), Altuve (3-17), Miggy (0-9), Bautista (1-11), etc. are hitting a combined 9 for 78 (.115) with no power in the early going. 

 

I don't know.  I'm just speculating at this point.  Crawford seems to be doing well, as does Murphy (although he didn't even get to play), but several other guys are really off to slow starts in the early going.  Could just be coincidence.  I don't know.

 

I actually thought the WBC would be good for many of these guys over spring training because I thought they would come into the season with the intensity level already raised, but maybe that isn't the case at all.  Like I said, it could be like the marathon runner that trains too hard the week before the race and then suffers in performance as a result.

 

 

Wasn't directed towards you in particular, no. I was being somewhat playful. Admittedly I haven't watched Miggy play yet, but it's so early (and it's freezing out). JMO but I think he'll be fine. I don't think WBC affects hitters as much as pitchers (i.e. Smyly). I actually thought it might be good for some hitters to get a head start on getting their timing, but again it's freezing out and maybe that has an impact of some guys. Just think it's way to early to be concerned about someone as good as Miggy, but I haven't watched him this week, so maybe there is a reason for concern based on how he's looking?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they force the runner to go back to second on a slide interference call?  Or is Gameday wonky?

 

Saying that they called Blackmon out at second on slide interference and Freeland back to second.  Why?  It seems like Freeland should clearly be on third right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Czar said:

Do they force the runner to go back to second on a slide interference call?  Or is Gameday wonky?

 

Saying that they called Blackmon out at second on slide interference and Freeland back to second.  Why?

 

And if that is the case, it looks like it cost Cargo an RBI and the Rockies a run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darkthrone said:

Yeah watching the game and they sent him back to second

Thanks.  That seems totally illogical.  Who stays at second base during a double play?  NOBODY.

 

Cost Colorado a run for sure.

 

What did the slide look like?  Was it a pretty obvious take out slide?  It just seemed totally subjective last year and at the umpires discretion.  So many bad ones last year not called and then I saw others where the guy was clearly going into the bag and made contact and they called the interference.  It just seemed to depend on whether the ump agreed with the new rule or not as the deciding factor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Czar said:

What did the slide look like?  


Didn't seem intentional. Blackmon's hand clipped Forsythe's ankle. As the commentators pointed out Blackmon's head and eyes were facing forward and Logan had stepped off 2nd so it didn't seem like he tried to take him out. Forsythe didn't attempt to throw to first either so yea..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Thanks.  That seems totally illogical.  Who stays at second base during a double play?  NOBODY.

 

Cost Colorado a run for sure.

 

What did the slide look like?  Was it a pretty obvious take out slide?  It just seemed totally subjective last year and at the umpires discretion.  So many bad ones last year not called and then I saw others where the guy was clearly going into the bag and made contact and they called the interference.  It just seemed to depend on whether the ump agreed with the new rule or not as the deciding factor.

 

It wasn't a typical take out slide. The Rockies announcers thought it was a bad call. Questionably intentional, with Blackmon's right hand catching one of the Middle Infielders guys ankles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I think Ryu is going to be alright this year , considering the circumstances it was an amazing performance..

 

 I agree to most extents, but as discussed above, the Outside corner in this game was really really really big. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...