NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Roethlisberger 2017 Outlook

Now that the Ben-Meister has formally announced (like no one didn't know) he's returning to play this season, where are you willing to draft him?  Lots of explosive pieces he's got in his tool toy-box to utilize, especially with Martavis Bryant's return on the horizon.   Downside is the injury risk of missing his traditional 2-4 games every year.  When would you pull the trigger on drafting him this year? 

Ben Roethlisberger announced Friday that he will return for the 2017 season.

Big surprise. Roethlisberger contemplated retirement after losing to the Patriots in the AFC Championship this past January, but nobody, including his own coach Mike Tomlin, gave it more than a passing thought. In a statement on Twitter, Roethlisberger said, "Informed the team I am looking forward to my 14th season. Steeler Nation will get my absolute best!" Roethlisberger's retirement threats will probably become an annual rite of passage. The 35-year-old is under contract through 2019.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly (that took about 6 tries to type it without typos, I think I need caffeine [which only took one try]), I'm not confident in him not getting injured for a few games to draft him high.  I think he's a standard mid round QB, and won't pay more for him than other midround QBs.  I think he's good for 4000 yards and 25ish TDs, but that's nothing special in this day and age.

10th qb off the board in Matthew Berry's initial rankings.  Source credibility aside....that screams value. 

Waiting on qb again looks to be the smart play-  Guys like Cam, Big Ben, Stafford, Rivers, Mariota are all in that range with top 5 upside. 

5 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

10th qb off the board in Matthew Berry's initial rankings.  Source credibility aside....that screams value. 

Waiting on qb again looks to be the smart play-  Guys like Cam, Big Ben, Stafford, Rivers, Mariota are all in that range with top 5 upside. 

Where is Dak going?  Is he in that range with Ben?

On 4/7/2017 at 5:00 PM, Impreza178 said:

I'd be content with that.... Just have a backup plan in place for when he goes down....

7 hours ago, hellagoode said:

Anyone know why Big Ben struggled mightily on the road last season?

More than just last season. Relying on him in the FFL playoffs on the road is a surefire way to lose. He can't be your only QB if you draft him. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

More than just last season. Relying on him in the FFL playoffs on the road is a surefire way to lose. He can't be your only QB if you draft him. 

There is nothing more valuable than knowing when you have to play or sit one of your ff players.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:25 PM, hellagoode said:

Anyone know why Big Ben struggled mightily on the road last season?

This is his MO. He's much better at home than on the road. Kind of like Brees in that sense. Just count on it.

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Big Ben burned me last year, Ithought he was going to be a stud the entire season, couldnt even trade him for decent value so he sat on my bench, lucky i took rodgers ahead of him

His home/road splits are bigger than Brees and have been for some time. If PIT has a stretch of home games early, trade Ben after the last one for a better QB who has gotten off to a slow start. 

• 3 weeks later...

This offense is absolutely loaded with the best WR in football, best receiving RB, MBryant back and the addition of JuJu S-Smith.  Coates as your 3rd or 4th WR on the field will blow by single coverage and maybe (just maybe) his broken hand was a big factor on some of those bad drops last season.  Anything out of Ladarius is a bonus (and he intends to play in 2017).  Big Ben could be in for a career year and you can get him a lot later than last year.  There's also probably a late rd QB that pairs up well with Big Ben for some of his road games (haven't been able to study and compare the schedules yet) - but I did notice that PIT's first 2 road games are at CLE and CHI and I can't see many people sitting him in those match-ups. 

1 minute ago, J.T. Marlin said:

This offense is absolutely loaded with the best WR in football, best receiving RB, MBryant back and the addition of JuJu S-Smith.  Coates as your 3rd or 4th WR on the field will blow by single coverage and maybe (just maybe) his broken hand was a big factor on some of those bad drops last season.  Anything out of Ladarius is a bonus (and he intends to play in 2017).  Big Ben could be in for a career year and you can get him a lot later than last year.  There's also probably a late rd QB that pairs up well with Big Ben for some of his road games (haven't been able to study and compare the schedules yet) - but I did notice that PIT's first 2 road games are at CLE and CHI and I can't see many people sitting him in those match-ups. 

Not a guarantee that Bryant is back...the Smith-Schuster pick in round 3 is indicative of that IMO.  His reinstatement was conditional.  

Strictly from a fantasy perspective I feel Ben will have his best year as pro. The Weapons at his disposel is best in the NFL. Brown , Bryant and the addition of Ju-Ju Smith- Schuster and not to metion Bell , 4950 36 TD 's but dont be suprised if he go's 5000+ 40 +TD's 

Edited by pittkidd
6 hours ago, pittkidd said:

Strictly from a fantasy perspective I feel Ben will have his best year as pro. The Weapons at his disposel is best in the NFL. Brown , Bryant and the addition of Ju-Ju Smith- Schuster and not to metion Bell , 4950 36 TD 's but dont be suprised if he go's 5000+ 40 +TD's 

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/6770

One of the longest injury lists among all active players.  Big reason he goes later.

I fondly remember his 522 yard / 6 TD game in 2014.  He was starting for my opponent.  I won. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2017 at 11:59 AM, jmausen said:

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/injury-predictor/player/6770

One of the longest injury lists among all active players.  Big reason he goes later.

I fondly remember his 522 yard / 6 TD game in 2014.  He was starting for my opponent.  I won. 

All that means is the rest of his team sucked. I have Big Ben in one dynasty league and he single-handedly won me that game and a couple of others that season.

The whole home split thing just bugs the crap out of me tho. How can a supposedly "elite" QB be that bad in away games?

Edited by pikerbkb

The way I see the home/road splits issue is you are getting a top 4-5 QB for half the season outside the top 100 picks. You just need to pair him with a good QB to use when he is on the road. I am going to target pairing him with QBs like Cousins and Mariota I can use with confidence when Ben is on the road.

• 2 weeks later...