NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Roethlisberger 2017 Outlook

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont think ive ever seen a guy fall off so hard in such a short amount of time. i always felt his career would be cut short due to the insane amount of damage hes absorbed compared to other elite qbs. i wonder if thr steelers brass are having internal dialogue about giving him the hook. i also think once you start speaking out loud about being done it might be time to hang it up.

7 hours ago, ColKurtz said:

I drafted qb late. Ben was my QB1.  Dropped Simien for Watson. f--- me. Was going to hold him for Watson's bye but no way.  Dropping him next week for whoever is available at all. 

Okay. Please circle back during Watson's BYE week to let us know what you decide to do. 

This is the first season I have seen Big Ben giving multiple interviews and displaying body language during the game in which he is visibly  emotional/agitated/anxious, as if he is uncomfortable in his own skin and simply want s o be someplace else. I thought all of the talk about the  conference loss last season killing his spirit was just talk but maybe it had a very negative effect on his current mental state to perform.

Traded BB for Mariota this week in my super flex league. The other owner was desperate for a 2nd healthy qb with Carr also out. Thank goodness I got off the train when I did because he would have no trade value today. I expect better days ahead because his 2 home games have been against the best pass defenses in the league, but glad I don't have to wait it out anymore. 

Big Ben has undoubtably regressed this season and is not what he used to be but he isn't this bad. Jags have one of the best secondaries in the league and some of those picks were flukey unlucky deflections and some were just great plays by the defense. Some were simply bad decisions by Big Ben/ throws he could've made when he was younger but with less velocity can't get away with making anymore. Things were compounded by his defense not playing well and him being forced to throw a lot while behind which made things predictable for a good defense. He still has the best WR-RB duo of any offense, a great vertical threat in Bryant and a great youngster in JuJu Smith-Schuster who has outperformed even Brown in the red zone (obviously has to do with all the attention Brown gets). Roethlisberger is a clear QB2 and not what he used to be but most weeks he should be much better than this and with the talent around him has as high an upside as any QB2.

When a player is openly questioning, on the record and in public, whether he has it any more, then you are probably going to get some midseason retirement talk.

He will have a bounce-back week against the Chiefs. The last 4 opponents all have very good pass defenses, and most of them had good run defenses. Todd Haley is a one-dimensional OC. Ben should definitely be done after this season, but I think his regression is not as bad as people are thinking. AB is still getting more RECS than virtually anyone in the league. Ben's still throwing decent passes deep. 

They need to use their TE's more. 

I don't see him quitting midseason. Doubt he wants his NFL legacy to end like that. But this has to be his last season and if he gets banged up not sure he'll be rushing to get back out there. I agree with others that he's not what he once was but he's not this bad. Hopefully he rights the ship to some degree ROS

Most thought Cam was not the same QB after week 3...3 picks vs Saints. The last 2 he's gone 300+/3.  Jags are only bested by Denver defensively and they may even be better against pass this year.  Haley's play calling questionable...who thinks it's good move to throw 55x against the best pass defense.  Only 15 attempts for Bell against a defense that gave up 256 rushing vs Jets week before.   

If anything I see this as a wake up call to entire team including coaches.  The "maybe I'm don't have it anymore" comment completely sarcastic and emotional response to horrendous day.  Next game is on the road vs KC.  Realize Ben's road splits aren't great but wouldn't be surprised if Steelers offense rebounds and give KC their first loss. Revenge game for Haley against KC. Granted it was in Pitt but Ben had 300/5 last year vs KC.  KC defense is not shutdown and rookie Watson just had 5.

In previous weeks Ben was inches away from having much bigger day but just missed on a couple long throws.  

4 hours ago, Root4Redbirds said:

Most thought Cam was not the same QB after week 3...3 picks vs Saints. The last 2 he's gone 300+/3.  Jags are only bested by Denver defensively and they may even be better against pass this year.  Haley's play calling questionable...who thinks it's good move to throw 55x against the best pass defense.  Only 15 attempts for Bell against a defense that gave up 256 rushing vs Jets week before.   

If anything I see this as a wake up call to entire team including coaches.  The "maybe I'm don't have it anymore" comment completely sarcastic and emotional response to horrendous day.  Next game is on the road vs KC.  Realize Ben's road splits aren't great but wouldn't be surprised if Steelers offense rebounds and give KC their first loss. Revenge game for Haley against KC. Granted it was in Pitt but Ben had 300/5 last year vs KC.  KC defense is not shutdown and rookie Watson just had 5.

In previous weeks Ben was inches away from having much bigger day but just missed on a couple long throws.  

you have just given me hope, I agree with everything you have said. I don't understand why Haley doesn't call more screens to ab and bell, just let Ben get some easy throws and yards. everything is a run or deep shot. Carson Palmer isn't throwing 5 ints because he is dumping it off to Ellington, do it with bell. 

4 hours ago, Root4Redbirds said:

Your words are well thought out and rationale.............but I'm not believing them. 

Ben on the road=stinky! I can't get past this. 

2 hours ago, Lewisma said:

you have just given me hope, I agree with everything you have said. I don't understand why Haley doesn't call more screens to ab and bell, just let Ben get some easy throws and yards. everything is a run or deep shot. Carson Palmer isn't throwing 5 ints because he is dumping it off to Ellington, do it with bell. 

Mike Renner from PFF tweeted Steelers only running play action 12% of time.  That's crazy when you have one of the best RB in the game.  Would open the pass game for shots downfield.  Haley needs to improve gameplan.  

Your short screens comment reminded me of Rodgers last year.  Folks were questioning his desire and if he had lost a step after first few weeks.  Wasn't hitting anything downfield.  GB played Bears on TNF week 7 and all his passes were within 10 yards of LOS.  It was a get right game to improve confidence.  Had pretty good year after that.

3 minutes ago, Proteus said:

So. 

Cornered animal fighting to prove he’s still alive goes big?

Or cornered animal rolls over, scratches his fleas, and dies in a heap of his own sadness?

I hope he goes big against the undefeated Chiefs, I hope him and Brown connect for a few td's.