NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ben Roethlisberger 2017 Outlook

On 10/8/2017 at 6:52 PM, CrastersCreep said:

dont think ive ever seen a guy fall off so hard in such a short amount of time. i always felt his career would be cut short due to the insane amount of damage hes absorbed compared to other elite qbs. i wonder if thr steelers brass are having internal dialogue about giving him the hook. i also think once you start speaking out loud about being done it might be time to hang it up.

He didn't just lose it overnight. 

Not a chance in hell Tomlin turns to Landry Jones. Tomlin knows where his bread his buttered.  Ben was just caught up in the moment with those comments, Ben being Ben, perhaps even being a smart a** responding to the media in that moment. He's a very competitive SOB, so there isn't a doubt in my mind he'll turn it around. This ain't his first rodeo, he's been through mini slumps before. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000860868/article/ben-roethlisberger-still-has-it-in-the-eyes-of-nfl-executives?campaign=Twitter_atn

By now, it's clear Ben Roethlisberger wasn't writing himself off when he suggested, "Maybe I don't have it anymore," after throwing five interceptions in the Steelers' surprising, 30-9 home loss to the Jaguars last Sunday.

No doubt, Roethlisberger hasn't played well. His numbers (six touchdowns, seven interceptions, 75.8 passer rating) say plenty. But in conversations this week with trusted personnel executives from four teams the Steelers have played this season, I couldn't find anybody willing to agree with the idea Roethlisberger has declined much, if at all, at age 35, with a tough road test looming Sunday against the unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs.

One exec told me "guys are fishing" to even discuss a decline off of five games (after which, let's not forget, the Steelers are 3-2 and lead the AFC North). Another said Roethlisberger looked the same as always on tape going into their game.

"Maybe a little bit of foot speed [is gone] -- in the past, he was a really good scrambler. But not anything skill-wise," said a third exec, who pointed to the Steelers' pass-heavy approach in some games as one contributing factor. "He's still accurate. He can still throw it a f---ing mile."

A fourth exec said Roethlisberger's accuracy might have slipped a little, but pointed to what's long been regarded as his greatest skill -- extending plays until he can make something happen down the field -- as making him more prone to a string of bad breaks than, say, Tom Brady in the New England Patriots' precision short passing game.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin pointed out Roethlisberger was hit on a couple of the five interceptions against the talented Jaguars, who are a challenge for anybody, with one of the NFL's top cornerback groups and several guys up front playing at a high level, too. Another interception was tipped at the line.

Another was thrown to a receiver who lost his feet. Tomlin also noted it's not unusual for Roethlisberger to lay bare his emotions after tough games, such as when the QB mused about retirement in the wake of January's AFC Championship Game loss at New England.

To the extent that uncertainty about his future influences perception about The State of Big Ben, it's worth pondering how the extraordinary late-career productivity of the 40-year-old Brady (who won his fifth Super Bowl last season), 38-year-old Drew Brees (who has a chance to win his fourth straight passing title this season) and Peyton Manning (who was an MVP at 37 and a Super Bowl winner at 39, despite clear physical decline), among others, influences how we're thinking about quarterbacks when they reach this stage.

Roethlisberger's in his 14th season. So are Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, who faced off last week in a showdown of 0-4 teams (Rivers' Chargers prevailed) and haven't set the world afire themselves. That's not ancient at a position where brain seems to increasingly matter over body, but consider the historical record of Year 14 seasons (compiled by NFL Media Research) for one peer group to Brady, Roethlisberger and the Mannings: the multiple-time Super Bowl winners.

Peyton Manning sat out his 14th season while undergoing a series of neck surgeries and was subsequently cut by Indianapolis. Joe Montana played in one game because of an elbow injury and was traded to Kansas City the following offseason. Terry Bradshaw played in one game because of an elbow injury and then retired. Bob Griese's 14th season was his last, too. Troy Aikman had already been released by Dallas after 12 years and retired. Jim Plunkett was banged up and drifting in and out of the lineup for the L.A. Raiders. Even Brady's 14th season was subpar for him in 2013.

A dozen quarterbacks have won multiple Super Bowls in NFL history. The highest passer rating ever recorded by one of them in Year 14 (minimum five starts)? Bart Starr's 89.9 -- in 1969.

The likes of Brady, Peyton Manning and John Elway (who won his Super Bowls in Years 15 and 16) all had more success ahead of them. Point is, there's a lot that goes into playing quarterback, or even wanting to, at the stage Roethlisberger's at. Odds are you've made your money. You have other priorities, including family. You also probably have wear and tear, as Roethlisberger does -- including a sprained MCL, sprained foot, concussion, AC joint sprain with torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder and torn meniscus since the start of the 2015 season. He rests his arm a lot in the offseason and has been sitting out Wednesday practices recently.

None of which is an excuse if Roethlisberger forces a ball into triple-coverage. But it's probably unfair to view his year-to-year approach late in his career and occasional postgame self-flagellation as evidence he's lost confidence or not all-in with a Steelers team that has high expectations and is as talented at the skill positions as anybody.

As Roethlisberger told reporters when pressed about reaction to his comment Wednesday: "They can question me. I don't question myself. No offense to any of you guys, but it doesn't matter to me how you guys question me."

Good read, thanks for posting.  I suspect reports of Big Ben's demise to be greatly exaggerated.  We may see an uptick for Roethlisberger as early as this Sunday against a Chiefs team against whom the Steelers have had a lot of recent success.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 4:37 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

I suspect reports of Big Ben's demise to be greatly exaggerated.

Ben's numbers more or less went up through the years until 2015, but 2016 and 2017 have been drops of around 10% each.

He's still on target for a 4000 yd/20 TD season, which is hardly bad. Completion rate and QB ratings are definitely on their way down though, and INT is up, so he does have a bit of an accuracy problem. In standard he's outside the top-20, meaning that essentially in a 8-10 team league you may find a better option on the wire. Schedule week 15/16 is pretty juicy though (NE and Houston).

13 hours ago, Wrighty said:

Feeling Ben vs Colts? 

Yes, and no.

Yes because they should be able to put up points/yards on Indy, controlled environment (no weather) in dome.

No because it might end up being a Bell game if they have a good lead. And it's Ben on the road.

I could see 250-2 type day.

Hoping for 300-3 type day.

Edited by Members_Only_76

Yeah, I like Ben moving forward in the 2nd half. More reps with JuJu and Martavis, not to mention McDonald who was acquired not long ago. Now that Bell looks dialed in, I expect DC's to focus on stopping the rush attack hoping Ben has lost his touch. I'm betting on Ben still and couldn't ask for a better breakout matchup than vs the Colts, whom he has absolutely soul crushed the last 3 games (1100yds 13td's to zero INT). 

Don't care about the game on the road. And I don't happen to think that the defense will totally shut Brissett and Indy down. This is the game where the Steelers crack 30 at minimum. 

here's a question for y'all -- hopefully not too AC-- 

my week 10 opponent has Wentz and Carr on bye... I have the 3rd waiver priority (higher than him)

would it be worth burning my waiver on Ben, just to block him from getting Ben versus Indy-- and force him to roll with either Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, or Josh McCown?

(also, Ben's ROS schedule is super juicy... could be a solid backup to Dak, especially if Dez+Zeke aren't around to help) 

Thanks

EDIT: I mean... who could we be saving a top waiver for at this point? It's really, really hard to see any huge breakout coming out of nowhere.

But then again... that's kind of the essence of "no where". 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
2 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

my week 10 opponent has Wentz and Carr on bye... I have the 3rd waiver priority (higher than him)

would it be worth burning my waiver on Ben, just to block him from getting Ben versus Indy-- and force him to roll with either Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, or Josh McCown?

(also, Ben's ROS schedule is super juicy... could be a solid backup to Dak, especially if Dez+Zeke aren't around to help) 

Thanks

Blocking other people from getting FA's is not only acceptable, but also necessary at times.  It's all part of the strategy.  Good owners always look at all options to win, as long as there is no cheating or collusion.  But blocking is fair game.  If you don't have any FA's to pick up, then I would do it.  Plus, Big Ben could be very useful down the stretch.

33 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Thanks

EDIT: I mean... who could we be saving a top waiver for at this point? It's really, really hard to see any huge breakout coming out of nowhere.

Completely acceptable.

If I think that I can only upgrade my weekly roster marginally with a pickup vs. weaken my opponent's potential significantly by blocking him...no brainer.

Just win baby.

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Thanks

Well if he doesnt get Ben I assume he'll grab McCown who has a great matchup with Tampa, so youre not really blocking him too much.

I would probably still do it in case Dak gets hurt, you have a good backup.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I feel like it might be time to sell high. Tennessee made both Dalton and Flacco look pretty good, so I'm not sure if we should read too much into Big Ben lighting them up tonight.

I think you are probably right. 

on the other hand, the Steelers have Green Bay, New England, Houston, and Cleveland in 4 of their next 6

and when they do that 4-wideouts look with Brown/JuJu/Martavis/Leveon -- especially with that cool new camera angle-- that team looks unstoppable. 

Just now, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I think you are probably right. 

on the other hand, the Steelers have Green Bay, New England, Houston, and Cleveland in 4 of their next 6

and when they do that 4-wideouts look with Brown/JuJu/Martavis/Leveon -- especially with that cool new camera angle-- that team looks unstoppable. 

I'm more so looking towards playoffs myself. I like Ben's matchups in Weeks 15 and 16 against the Patriots and Texans, but if you can package Big Ben and a piece to get a Brady or Wentz, I think it's a move everyone here should at least try to make after his game tonight.

5 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I'm more so looking towards playoffs myself. I like Ben's matchups in Weeks 15 and 16 against the Patriots and Texans, but if you can package Big Ben and a piece to get a Brady or Wentz, I think it's a move everyone here should at least try to make after his game tonight.

not a bad idea. (There's a team in my league with an incredible roster-- except at QB where he is stuck with Eli. He's a prime target!)

overall, Ben looks bad, and any success is probably in spite of his eroding skills-- and a result of his devastating weapons.

this has 'sell high' written all over it. Before tonight, he was averaging 225 yards, 1TD, 1 interception per game.  11 standard points. 

Im hoping to squeeze 1 more point out of him. My league you get 1 point every 25 yards. No decimals. He's at 299 yards. 

That bobbled snap/handoff....it looked like the ball briefly went forward on the exchange like a shuffle pass. 

54 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I feel like it might be time to sell high. Tennessee made both Dalton and Flacco look pretty good, so I'm not sure if we should read too much into Big Ben lighting them up tonight.

I guess people's trade deadlines haven't come yet?   Are you in a 2 QB league?  Or traditional 1 QB and so Ben is your backup?  Who would you look to sell high for?  Not sure how much value Ben would have at this stage of the season.

He looked pretty unstoppable in the second half.  Lots of weapons.  It helped that the Steelers were playing on Thursday and supposedly trying to lessen Bell's workload so Ben was throwing a ton.  Hope that continues moving forward.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

I guess people's trade deadlines haven't come yet?   Are you in a 2 QB league?  Or traditional 1 QB and so Ben is your backup?  Who would you look to sell high for?  Not sure how much value Ben would have at this stage of the season.

He looked pretty unstoppable in the second half.  Lots of weapons.  It helped that the Steelers were playing on Thursday and supposedly trying to lessen Bell's workload so Ben was throwing a ton.  Hope that continues moving forward.

ESPN's standard trade deadline unless you change it is November 22nd. So it'll be coming up next week. 

I'm in a single QB league though. Ben is my starter, but I currently plan to stream Ben/Goff/Mariota based on matchup for the ROS.

My targets would be Wentz and Brady. I'd attempt to package Ben and a piece for one of the two, or Ben and a WR for Wentz/Brady and a lesser WR than which you're giving up.

I think Big Ben's success at this point is due to favorable matchup and the weapons he's surrounded by. You can tell in his other games this season that he's clearly lost a step. I expect duds against Cincinnati and Baltimore, and would feel much better about rolling out Wentz or Brady. I think Big Ben is a top option ROS, but there are better plays out there. Just make sure you have a second option for those two games I listed and you should be fine sticking with him.

7 hours ago, Tenner said:

Im hoping to squeeze 1 more point out of him. My league you get 1 point every 25 yards. No decimals. He's at 299 yards. 

That bobbled snap/handoff....it looked like the ball briefly went forward on the exchange like a shuffle pass. 

Not a very cool story bro.

...and who doesn't use decimal scoring? ??