NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eli Manning 2017 Season Outlook

Someone in your league will draft Aaron Rodgers instead of Jordan Howard or Melvin Gordon, will take Drew Brees instead of Jay Ajayi or Brandin Cooks, and Brady will go before Golden Tate. Can you stick to your guns and wait until double digits to pick a QB? The tier ones will be gone by round six at the latest, and in some leagues by round four; who are the best bets for tier two, for rounds seven, eight, and nine? 

Is Eli Manning a viable tier two QB for 2017?

2016 = 26 TDs, 16 INTs, 4027 yards (stats don't reveal how fugly the misses truly were)

2015 = 35 TDs, 14 INTs, 4436 yards (six TDs came in one game vs New Orleans)

2014 = 30 TDs, 14 INTs, 4410 yards (is this a realistic ballpark for Eli in 2017?)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/5526/eli-manning

Cons: Giants lack of balance -- McAdoo forced a run game in 2016 that never took off, and there is no growth there yet. And, Eli doesn't run either, totaling -9 yards for the 2016 season (and 5 rushing TDs in 13 years). Also, the TE position has not developed into a reliable asset (now down to Tye).

Pros: Eli hasn't missed a game in 12 years. Brandon Marshall replaces Cruz, prompting the question, how can defenses double OBJ and yet keep tabs on Marshall and Sheppard? And, Marshall claims he will mentor OBJ, bringing focus and veteran stability to the WR corps. 

Eli went from top ten to bottom ten (QB rating) in the span of one season----will he bounce back?   http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, petekrum said:

Eli is a backup, bye week fill in at this point. 

If he hasn't physically regressed, then he should really improve over last year. Marshall is going to make red zone scoring a hell of a lot easier. Already had Beckham, but now add Brandon, Shepard and Perkins both have a big year of development, and NFC E looks like it will be a lot of shoot out type games. 

Low end qb1 I think, little better than a bye week filler.  Will be interesting to see his ADP.  Lot of qbs in this tier, just a matter of who is cheapest. 

Eli is dependent on his OLine's play.

If he gets time, he can still carve up defenses and have QB1 stats.

If the Giants continue turning a blind eye to the needs of the OLine, then Eli is a QB2 streaming option, at best, even with Marshall.

While I liked the Marshall signing as an added weapon for the offense, I would have preferred they channel that contract toward signing Andrew Whitlock at the time...

Granted, Whitlock is late in his career, but is coming off an All-Pro season at Left Tackle.

Shoring up the left tackle spot and moving Flowers back to the right side would have been such a benefit for the effectiveness of the line...

The Giants would have had a functional line for both run blocking and pass protection.

Now, it's up to what they do during the draft... let's see what they do....

P.S. The part about Marshall mentoring OBJ... it's a nice soundbite, but OBJ may not be receptive.

If Marshall persists with this mentoring approach to OBJ, it could backfire.

While he is a productive player, Marshall's teammates have not traditionally rallied around him...

Jets players couldn't stand him at the end and I am sure Denver's players felt the same way.

Edited by Winky

On 4/9/2017 at 7:17 AM, howlin' 2 said:

Eli's Coming !!! (and he's gonna break your heart)

Fringe #1, probably finish in the mid range of the 32 starting qb's. Starting to look Cutler-esque

QBs 5 to about 14 are all pretty much the same for fantasy.  Very few are true QB1s any given week.  We don't need to name names.

I always wait until the top 12 are taken and still end up with a top 6-8 QB while loading up on "backup" RB2s.  A top 10 QB can typically be grabbed off waivers after week 3 in standard 12 team redraft.  Someone is always dropping their "bye-week QB" on a bad sleeper hunch while everyone else has convinced themselves to love their "premium draft pick" QB.  Anyone after Luck is a biased reach.

Current QB ADPs outside the top 12:

QB14 - Stafford - Torn tendons in his finger last season dropped him out of the top 5 QBs.  Having Riddick back makes Stafford better.  QB14 why?  Everyone else is that much better?  I don't think so.

QB16 - Eli Manning - ODB, a developing 2nd round rookie, and "shredded chicken pateller tendon" Victor Cruz were his only targets last year.  Of course he was miserable.  Why can't ODB and Brandon Marshall each have 1200+ yards and 8+ TDs this year?  Any good reasons?  Their slot guy is pretty good too. Adding a Forrest Lamp in the first round would be great for their o-line (T/G).  Dallas lost pretty much their entire secondary to free agency, and they won't have a pass rush if Jaylon Smith isn't ready.  Eli is a must start (2X) against Dallas.  Not sure about the rest of their schedule.  Planning ahead never hurts.

QB19 - Wentz - Pretty sure they're loaded up on WRs now.  He started hot last season, and now he has targets: Alshon (True WR1), Matthews (slot), Torrey Smith (deep threat), Green-Beckham (red-zone), and Ertz.  He has all the pieces, a cannon arm, solid pocket presence, and above average accuracy.  This could possibly even be a second, ultra-rare, 900+ yard Torrey Smith season.  A super streaky WR3 you can never start, but possible.  Wentz also gets two games against the Dallas secondary.  QB19 is too low.  Put QB5-QB19 in a bag and shake?  QB5 is Matt Ryan without Shanahan.  I wouldn't encourage reaching for last years numbers.  Flacco and Alex Smith are NOT in the QB5-QB19 bag.  It a pretty safe bag of fantasy QBs: take two.

QB23 - Bortles - The garbage time king.  Sucks in real life, but I'd make side bets in my league to stream him 4 or more games this year for fun (TEN, TEN, PIT, CLE, SF, IND, IND, Chargers).  Most of us aren't playing in high-stakes leagues.  Have some fun and laugh a little.

1 minute ago, dabeesta17 said:

Funny how Rotoworld mentions every random traffic stop of every past and present NFL player, but somehow has not mentioned the Eli Manning memorabilia scam in a blurb yet? Civil trial in September.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19153348/eli-manning-new-york-giants-accused-fraud-court-documents

Eli shared the emails and they were taken out of context. I doubt this develops into anything.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

Eli shared the emails and they were taken out of context. I doubt this develops into anything.

Whether he is innocent or guilty, nothing will happen. Even if he's guilty, the Manning lawyers and Goodell have a way of making accusations against that family disappear (i.e. Peyton's HGH use -- but no, the orders were for his wife LOL). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 11:31 AM, devaster said:

On 4/15/2017 at 11:34 AM, dabeesta17 said:

Again there's a trial in September. Its already developed into something.

On 4/15/2017 at 11:35 AM, joshua18 said:

Whether he is innocent or guilty, nothing will happen. Even if he's guilty, the Manning lawyers and Goodell have a way of making accusations against that family disappear (i.e. Peyton's HGH use -- but no, the orders were for his wife LOL). 

The trial and alleged crime is clearly a tactic of a desperate McAdoo, not a slip by Eli; McAdoo, who in seeing how well Brady performed after the 4-game Deflategate suspension, is grasping to level-up the Giant offense to match its stalwart D. Yet, since McAdoo is no Belicheck he'll look to run the ball just as Eli's arm catches fire. Clearly.

• 1 month later...

In My humble opinion, what saves Eli from  a lot of criticism is his two rings against Tom Brady. 

I think Eli got a few good productive seasons left in his arsenal. Besides, I wouldn't mind seeing Eli vs Brady part 3. 

Anyway, the Giants drafted Davis Webb for a reason and the future may be near. 

Eli ADP108 QB16

Source: NJ.com - Dan Duggan

New York Giants QB Eli Manning still has many years to play in the NFL, in the opinion of owner John Mara.

28 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

In My humble opinion, what saves Eli from  a lot of criticism is his two rings against Tom Brady. 

I think Eli got a few good productive seasons left in his arsenal. Besides, I wouldn't mind seeing Eli vs Brady part 3. 

Anyway, the Giants drafted Davis Webb for a reason and the future may be near. 

Eli ADP108 QB16

Source: NJ.com - Dan Duggan

New York Giants QB Eli Manning still has many years to play in the NFL, in the opinion of owner John Mara.

Not just wins, but 2 SB MVPs, and still the only QB ever to throw for 4900+ yards and win a SB in the same season. 

When you win in NY, it covers a lot of sins. Leading your team to titles twice even more so. 

#7 all time in TD passes, #8 all time in passing yardage, record holder for single-season 4th quarter TD passes if he never played another down. He still has at least one big season left IMO. 

13 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

That's like signing OJ to mentor Joe Mixon. 

Why, has Marshall "allegedly" murdered anyone ? Orenthal could be an example for Mixon to realize that he too could throw it all away if he doesn't change his attitude. Not that I am for employing the Juice ever.

Marshall is still in the delusional stage like T.O. was in thinking people look up to and respect him. They tolerated him when his talent warranted it. The big BM movement across town only helps on the field as a big bodied WR to move the chains and red zone upgrade which was needed. 

As a locker room lawyer & spiritual guru  he's always been a failure. Marshall is only good when things are going good for him. I don't expect anything less from him this time around either.

I'd be more worried about Pac man gobbling him up and taking him under wing. Maybe the visual of O.J.might do HE (Mixon) and Mrs Jones some good before they get a thing going on.

Edited by howlin' 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, mmcalli884 said:

One of the big problems with him is that he is a liability in leagues that penalize for interceptions. He throws a ton.  I do think he has value, but I don't think I would be comfortable with him as my #1 because that line is horrible and Eli will throw it in traffic.

Which is why Marshall could blow up (not to mention that he's also the first legit RZ target that Eli has had in awhile).

I bet Eli does better this season, while the O-line remains putrid.  I agree through, it's unlikely he'll serve as an every week starter.

• 4 weeks later...