NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Eli Manning 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, herschel said:

Didn't exactly get a strong vote of confidence this weekend but SF made drew Stanton startable last week.  Anyone throwing him out there?

I need a bye week filler and I considered him for the reason he's playing SF. Ultimately though I couldn't do it. That whole team has given up and even with a fully participating team, he's touch and go so with a team that isn't into it, I wouldn't start with any confidence whatsoever.

Saying all this, he'll be my next best thing if my waivers don't pan out.

51 minutes ago, 6point6 said:

Saying all this, he'll be my next best thing if my waivers don't pan out.

He's option #3 for me on waivers behind Ben/McCown. I won't be excited about it but he's in that Fitzmagic/Cutler range where you could wrangle 250-2-1 out of him and be OK with it for this week.

13 minutes ago, Tomy said:

Manning will be the starter qb this week ??

Yes, and I believe McAdoo's comments will light a fire under his a** and he'll torch a beat up 49'ers defense.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2742877-ben-mcadoo-says-eli-manning-is-his-qb-but-doesnt-rule-out-eventual-benching

Going forward, I think the most logical thing to expect is is that Eli continues to start, but in future blowouts he gets benched for Geno or Webb. 

The Giants have Eli signed through 2019, so odds are they select a QB in the 18' draft, and Eli continues to start next season as they groom the new draftee and Davis.  If the Giants can contend in 18' w/ Eli, then they go for it and Eli plays out his contract.  If not, they move Eli at the trade deadline, provided there's a market for him, and roll w/ Davis/or their new rookie.  

For this weekend Eli will start and it's somewhat safe to say that he will continue to start for ROS.  I don't think McAdoo or ownership want to mess around w/ the start streak history being made.  Eli's garbage time production might be at risk if the Giants fall behind and Eli is perceived to be missing throws.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm forced to play Manning this week and although it's a good matchup, my fear is the team goes down early and Mcadoo goes full tank mode and benches Manning. Would be a shame cause I can see my Manning/Shepard stack helping me out big time. It's making me consider starting Mariota despite the tougher matchup.

Edited by Pigskingpin

46 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Well my Eli/Shep stack came crashing down before it even started. With all the weather talk, can we roll Eli out with any confidence now?

Since Eli lost all his receivers there was no week when I could start him with confidence. He put up decent stats, but only due to garbage time points. Yes , I did watch all those games. Now there is talk of Webb getting some snaps if they fall behind, which is very probable against the Chiefs. With the news that Shepard is out, I'm thinking of benching him for Bortles. It's no fun being a Giants / Eli fan this season.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, CharlesHustle said:

I was holding Eli for the week 15 match up with Philly but lately the way Philly looks, you would have to be nuts to start Eli vs them in your leagues semis, with or without Shep

Yeah - I traded for Eli simply because of the Shep stack (and Tyrod), but might just drop him now tbh. It's looking like a dumpster fire.

A lot of talk about how bad the team is around him, but that doesn't change the fact that he sucks. There are other QBs that have garbage weapons and makeshift O-lines, and they don't look nearly as bad as Eli. I think it's time to move on, at least for the rest of this season. 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, Naboo said:

McAdoo can't seriously consider benching a guy who is the current iron man of the league with 206 consecutive starts. 

8 hours ago, USWAY said:

That's exactly what they should do. He looks terrible out there.

Eli's passes were so poor, were so off the mark, it's clear he's entered a funk where benching him is the only option. While it's true he's lost his WR corps, he's also lost his confidence, and he's leading receivers with too great a margin to avoid interceptions, or he's just sucking. Either way, unfortunately, the Giants must test out other talent. We've all seen Eli play amazing games----he does possess the skill----and two years ago he kept up with Drew Brees in an amazing shootout (6 TD passes), but until his mojo returns he's the Giant's greatest liability, and if it does not return he must retire...

I'm a Giants fan, but I don't think Eli is good at all. Never really did. He fails to make any of his receivers better. He was never in the same category as Brees/Brady/Rodgers, but my family and other Giants fans defend this guy non-stop. I've never seen someone perform so poorly at times with so many excuses. He has no line. He has no running game. His receivers drop passes. No kidding - that happens with a lot of teams. The QBs find a way to get it done. 

He freakin' spiked a ball on a cake pass to an open receiver in the 4th quarter (I think it was close to the end of the game). I mean, come on. That's HS crap right there. The Giants are fools if they don't bench him. Give him his ceremonial start, but get Webb int he games at some point. Thankfully, I own very few shares of him and he's strictly on my bench. I'd never start him again this season regardless of how "tasty" the match up is. 

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Benched for Gino Smith.  Eli has deteriorated into Sanchez territory.

Stop it. No one ever goes to that depth of suckitude. But, since you mentioned Sanchez...why not...

BLL33.gif