NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

Entering his 3rd season with Oakland.

Has D Carr throwing him the ball

Is a 2 time pro bowler

Only missed 100 receptions by 17 last year and missed 2 games.

Had 1,153 receicivg yards and 5TDs

If Carr looks Amaris direction in the redzone more he could have 8-10 TDs and 1300-1500 receiving yards is not out of the question.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Entering his 3rd season with Oakland.

Has D Carr throwing him the ball

Is a 2 time pro bowler

Had 1,153 receicivg yards and 5TDs

If Carr looks Amaris direction in the redzone more he could have 8-10 TDs and 1300-1500 receiving yards is not out of the question.

Crabtree is the #1 WR in OAK and has been the last 2 years -- in targets, TDs, and fantasy points. Unless his play falls off a cliff, Cooper's ceiling is limited.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Crabtree is the #1 WR in OAK and has been the last 2 years -- in targets, TDs, and fantasy points. Unless his play falls off a cliff, Cooper's ceiling is limited.

Took me a while to realize this, but its true.

Not a knock on Cooper, he is a great player. Crabtree is just as good.

13 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Hahaha, yeah right.

Cooper had 7 less catches than Crabtree last year

Cooper had 150 more receiving yards than Crabtree in 2 less games played.

Cooper has the higher catch rate percentage and almost 4 more yards per reception than crabtree.

Cooper is only entering his 3rd season.

I really like Amari this year, but as mentioned, I think Crabtree caps his ceiling a bit.  I absolutely think Cooper can get to 1,300 yards or so, but Crabtree is the #1 red zone target, so it limits Cooper to 5-7 TDs IMO.  I think 7 is the high end for what to expect from Cooper.  Wide receivers usually break out around their third year, so I expect Cooper to continue to improve his stats.  An elite QB throwing the ball, with an elite O line, and (as of right now) not much of a running game.  I expect the Raiders to have a dynamic offense this year, and Cooper and Crabtree are really the only targets in Oakland.  Outside of Denver X2 and NYG, I don't see too many challenging secondaries on the Raiders schedule, but I do see teams that can score points - Dallas, NE, Chargers, Titans, Redskins.  So I expect some shootouts involving Oakland this year.  I like Cooper (seems like more than most) and I would have no problem drafting him in the second round.  

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Hahaha, yeah right.

Cooper had 7 less catches than Crabtree last year

Cooper has the higher catch rate percentage and almost 4 more yards per reception than crabtree.

Cooper is only entering his 3rd season.

Yet Crabtree is BY FAR the better RZ threat and the WR Carr trusts most to make contested catches. 

Drafting Cooper at his ADP is a bet that Crabtree takes a significant step back...just as it was last year.  The difference between their production isn't accurately reflected in their ADPs. 

So so the question for Cooper truthers is: Why do you expect this to be the year Crabtree falls off?

I like Crabtree as a player and have been gobbling up the draft day values on him the past couple of seasons.

Having said that, I see Cooper as a player that is still ascending, where I think Crabtree is what he is (that is not a knock).

Rough estimates on ADP: Cooper at WR10 and Crabtree at WR20.

We can make arguments for and against all the WRs between 10-20, so it is a matter of preference.

Cooper finished 8th in yards last season, 15th in targets, 17th in receptions... this with a banged up QB.

Cooper is a young stud... still just 22.

Cooper has a solid veteran playing across from him that prevents him from being doubled on every play.

Cooper has Carr, and Carr was injured last season... I will not quantify what the overall impact was to Cooper's or Crabtree's stats (too much conjecture), but I will offer that it was greater than nothing.

The Raiders offensive scheme can support fantasy production for 2 WRs.

I think Cooper has a high floor and while we can argue whether his ceiling is capped, I would suggest his floor will give me, at minimum, high-end WR2 numbers to low end WR1 numbers... with undefined upside.

For me, evaluating Cooper's potential to perform has little to do with Crabtree's potential to fall off.

Edited by Winky

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Yet Crabtree is BY FAR the better RZ threat and the WR Carr trusts most to make contested catches. 

Drafting Cooper at his ADP is a bet that Crabtree takes a significant step back...just as it was last year.  The difference between their production isn't accurately reflected in their ADPs. 

So so the question for Cooper truthers is: Why do you expect this to be the year Crabtree falls off?

Carr told you he trust Crabtree to catch contested balls more than Cooper?

Its more likely that the #1 CB for the opossing team is on Cooper more often than not so Carr will go to Crabs.

Cooper has increased his stats each of his first 2 pro bowl years.

Receptions he went from 72-83 from 2015 -2016

Receiving yards he went from 1,070 to 1,153 from 2015-2016

His yards per game increased from 66 per game in 2015 to 72 per game in 2016

His catch percentage went from 55% to 63% from 2015-2016.

He made all those numbers better from his rookie year and he missed 1 more game last year than he did in 2015.

The Raiders have a QB who can throw for 4500 yards, got a top 5 OL and are gonna get Marshawn Lynch, thats ginna open things up for Cooper.

Amari is entering his 3rd year when platers usually make their biggest leap as far as production.

If amari plays all 16 games i could see him reaching 100 receptions, 1400 - 1500 reveiving yards and 8-10 TDs.

8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Carr told you he trust Crabtree to catch contested balls more than Cooper?

Its more likely that the #1 CB for the opossing team is on Cooper more often than not so Carr will go to Crabs.

Cooper has increased his stats each of his first 2 pro bowl years.

Receptions he went from 72-83 from 2015 -2016

Receiving yards he went from 1,070 to 1,153 from 2015-2016

His yards per game increased from 66 per game in 2015 to 72 per game in 2016

His catch percentage went from 55% to 63% from 2015-2016.

He made all those numbers better from his rookie year and he missed 1 more game last year than he did in 2015.

The Raiders have a QB who can throw for 4500 yards, got a top 5 OL and are gonna get Marshawn Lynch, thats ginna open things up for Cooper.

Amari is entering his 3rd year when platers usually make their biggest leap as far as production.

If amari plays all 16 games i could see him reaching 100 receptions, 1400 - 1500 reveiving yards and 8-10 TDs.

Actions speak louder than words. When the game is on the line, Carr prefers Crabtree, especially in the RZ. 

28 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Watch the action this year then get back to me.

Fantasy football isnt played with last years stats

Agreed. Crabtree is the #1 RZ option for OAK unless he gets hurt. 

You cant use previous years' stats when they support your bias (Cooper) and then ignore them when they refute it (Crabtree). 

27 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Agreed. Crabtree is the #1 RZ option for OAK unless he gets hurt. 

You cant use previous years' stats when they support your bias (Cooper) and then ignore them when they refute it (Crabtree). 

Your bias towards Crabtree wont let you see Coopers steady progression of improvement.

I never said Crabtree is not the RZ threat for Oakland, that was obvious last year but Amari still has plentt of room to grow into that role and could easily exolode this year.

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

No, the stats i have posted earlier about Amaris yearly increase in production is the best indicator of the monster seadon he is on the verge of having.

Maybe, maybe not. Nobody knows. Speaking in such definitive terms about things nobody actually know about sounds silly in support of your stance tho. He could explode, or it could be the status quo in Oaktown again.

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Your bias towards Crabtree wont let you see Coopers steady progression of improvement.

I never said Crabtree is not the RZ threat for Oakland, that was obvious last year but Amari still has plentt of room to grow into that role and could easily exolode this year.

Cooper has a 33" vertical.  He is a polished route runner with great hands who will never win a jump ball.  I can't find Crabtree's vertical, but the top TD WRs have verticals in the 39"-41" range. ODB is 38.5".  Cooper and Crabtree are both 6'1" and run 4.5 40s.

Cooper is essentially a slot receiver who inevitably always gets lots of yards and few TDs. Between his height and vertical, I don't see him approaching 10+ TDs unless he develops into an Antonio Brown/Victor Cruz type player.  That's a huge jump.

1 minute ago, jmausen said:

Cooper has a 33" vertical.  He is a polished route runner with great hands who will never win a jump ball.  I can't find Crabtree's vertical, but the top TD WRs have verticals in the 39"-41" range. ODB is 38.5".  Cooper and Crabtree are both 6'1" and run 4.5 40s.

Cooper is essentially a slot receiver who inevitably always gets lots of yards and few TDs. Between his height and vertical, I don't see him approaching 10+ TDs unless he develops into an Antonio Brown/Victor Cruz type player.  That's a huge jump.

DeVante Adams is the 2nd highest ranked slot receiver.  He has a 39.5" vertical.  He can score 10+ TDs with 1,000+ yards.  Take Adams before Cooper.

22 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Should take you even longer to realize that Cooper had more receiving yards than Crabtree in 2 less games played.

Amari Cooper has never missed a game in his NFL career.

For accuracy purposes, I'm going to assume you're referring to Week 15 and 16 where he played through a shoulder injury, but have added partial blurbs for week 17 and 18, just to refresh people's memory of how owners were feeling about him down the line.

Amari Cooper caught 1-of-3 targets for 28 yards in the Raiders' Week 15 win over the Chargers.

Cooper beat Casey Hayward once on his 28-yard gain in the first half, but otherwise he was bottled up by the Charges' emerging shutdown corner while Michael Crabtree (6-60-1) did more damage. A boom-bust player who doesn't catch short TDs and needs splash plays to hit, Cooper has now been held below 60 yards in six straight games. He'll remain a volatile WR2 play in Week 16 against the Colts.

Amari Cooper (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Week 16.

Cooper has been "limited" and "questionable" for several weeks, but he hasn't missed a game. He has failed to clear 60 yards in six straight games, however, devolving into a boom-bust WR2/3 option in season-long leagues.

Amari Cooper caught 4-of-6 passes for 72 yards in Oakland's Week 16 win over the Colts.

Cooper was quiet for most of the game. He saw fewer targets than Michael Crabtree (10), and lost red-zone looks to Andre Holmes and Clive Walford. Cooper sealed the Raiders' win with a clutch third-down catch late. He'll get a matchup with Denver in Week 17.

Amari Cooper caught 4-of-8 targets for 39 yards and a touchdown Week 17 against the Broncos.

Cooper was headed for a dreadful game before he went into beast mode late in the third quarter.

Amari Cooper said he's going to "demand the ball" in Saturday's Wild Card game against the Texans.

He needs to. Cooper was held under 60 yards receiving in seven of the past eight games to close out the regular season and hasn't had a 100-yard game since his monster Week 8 against the Bucs.

Amari Cooper caught 2-of-10 targets for 10 yards in the Raiders' Wild Card loss to the Texans.

A fitting end to Cooper's mostly-disappointing fantasy season. Cooper dropped a sideline shot from Connor Cook on a perfect throw, and he was overthrown over the middle on one of Cook's three interceptions.

Here's what the second half of the season looked like for Amari Cooper.
20sh8v7.png

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

For accuracy purposes, I'm going to assume you're referring to Week 15 and 16 where he played through a shoulder injury, but have added partial blurbs for week 17 and 18, just to refresh people's memory of how owners were feeling about him down the line.

Amari Cooper caught 1-of-3 targets for 28 yards in the Raiders' Week 15 win over the Chargers.

Cooper beat Casey Hayward once on his 28-yard gain in the first half, but otherwise he was bottled up by the Charges' emerging shutdown corner while Michael Crabtree (6-60-1) did more damage. A boom-bust player who doesn't catch short TDs and needs splash plays to hit, Cooper has now been held below 60 yards in six straight games. He'll remain a volatile WR2 play in Week 16 against the Colts.

Cooper has been "limited" and "questionable" for several weeks, but he hasn't missed a game. He has failed to clear 60 yards in six straight games, however, devolving into a boom-bust WR2/3 option in season-long leagues.

Amari Cooper caught 4-of-6 passes for 72 yards in Oakland's Week 16 win over the Colts.

Cooper was quiet for most of the game. He saw fewer targets than Michael Crabtree (10), and lost red-zone looks to Andre Holmes and Clive Walford. Cooper sealed the Raiders' win with a clutch third-down catch late. He'll get a matchup with Denver in Week 17.

Amari Cooper caught 4-of-8 targets for 39 yards and a touchdown Week 17 against the Broncos.

Cooper was headed for a dreadful game before he went into beast mode late in the third quarter.

Amari Cooper said he's going to "demand the ball" in Saturday's Wild Card game against the Texans.

He needs to. Cooper was held under 60 yards receiving in seven of the past eight games to close out the regular season and hasn't had a 100-yard game since his monster Week 8 against the Bucs.

Amari Cooper caught 2-of-10 targets for 10 yards in the Raiders' Wild Card loss to the Texans.

A fitting end to Cooper's mostly-disappointing fantasy season. Cooper dropped a sideline shot from Connor Cook on a perfect throw, and he was overthrown over the middle on one of Cook's three interceptions.

20sh8v7.png

Yeah, i see that is last year.

Cooper has gotten better every year.

Will be even better this year.

6 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Yeah, i see that is last year.

Cooper has gotten better every year.

Will be even better this year.

So you willingly spread false info to make Cooper look better than he is, then failed to own it when you were called out on it. Epic fail. 

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

20sh8v7.png

One game connor cook was throwing him the ball. Lol

Besides, i never said Cooper killed it in the 2nd half of the season last year.

He has progressed every year and he will progress even more this year.

Cooper is just as capable of catching double digit TDs as any other top 15 receiver in the NFL

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

So you willingly spread false info to make Cooper look better than he is, then failed to own it when you were called out on it. Epic fail. 

I read the stat wrong.  He only started 15 games due to the shoulder. I guess take a win where you can find one cause you are dead wrong about Cooper.