NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Time to move on. Crabtree got 3 TDs. Boo hoo.

On to the next problem: Josh Norman.

I'd imagine Norman will take Cooper this week. If so, not good.

Analysis needed to see if Norman is indeed sticking with the #1 WR or if he is taking one side or the other.

I think Norman stays on the left side of Defense or right side of offense. Cooper from what i have watched is always on left side of offense...Or at least the majority. There has been plenty of instances where Norman didnt follow number 1s as it was well documented last yr. But he also has so its a crap shoot. As of the start of this year, Crabs has been the better producing wr 2 games in so maybe he will bug him lol

46 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

I think Norman stays on the left side of Defense or right side of offense. Cooper from what i have watched is always on left side of offense...Or at least the majority. There has been plenty of instances where Norman didnt follow number 1s as it was well documented last yr. But he also has so its a crap shoot. As of the start of this year, Crabs has been the better producing wr 2 games in so maybe he will bug him lol

I imagine Norman shadows if a team has one clear alpha, but if there are two big threats he just stays where he's comfortable. 

22 hours ago, NBatum88 said:

Yeah I think Cooper is on my DND list from now on. He's talented but not good at getting TDs and inconsistent. All that for a 2nd round player is just too much.

Hopefully he can string together a few big games so I can sell him.

I had Cooper on my DND list this season after owning him last year. Aside from 3-4 weeks last year he was very disappointing. He had 4-100 yard games last year. 

In 2016:

Week 1 he went 6-137

Week 5 he went 6-138

Week 6 he went 10-129

Week 8 he went 12-173  

after week 5-8 I thought I had struck good but then he disappeared. 

Weeks 9-17 he only had 1 game with more then 

60 receiving yards and that game he had 76. 

During weeks 9-17 he had 31 receptions. 

Weeks 5-8 he had 32 receptions. 

We all know he is talented but I definitely wouldn't draft him as my #1 WR and I'm not sure I'd feel great about having him as my #2 either. 

Last year he won me a couple of games but he 

Really hurt me down the stretch. I made it to the ship last year and lost (CSB) but i ended up benching him for Adam Thielen after the first round. 

3 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

I love Cooper but I think it's time to concede that Crabtree is simply better and a more favored target by Carr (for daily players.)

I dont concede that. Amari had like 4 red zone targets in the first game.

Coverage dictates often where Carr goes. Teams roll coverage towards amari and leavs crabs with more 1 on 1's.

Coop has drops this year but that can be fixed. He is still outpacing guys like OBJ and AJ Green and Doug Baldwin, etc...

2 games in and writing him off? This isnt demarco murray we are talking about here. Lol.

At this point I'm a bit disappointed but yes it's literally 2 weeks. I am confident he won't fall off a cliff or anything though. I think he out produces his stats from last year,  but maybe isn't going to make that leap into elite status many of his owners were hoping for.

I’m not really sure what people expected here. Like many of us told you in the pre-season, there was no reason to believe Cooper was making a leap this year. His play with Carr deteriorated as the season went on last year and once again this year he has shown incapable of making plays in the end-zone. It’s time people accept that this isn’t a fluke, it’s just a deficiency he has as a player. He will continue to have more WR3 or below weeks than WR1. There’s nothing to relax about, he is who he has been the past few years.

2 minutes ago, Catch23 said:

I’m not really sure what people expected here. Like many of us told you in the pre-season, there was no reason to believe Cooper was making a leap this year. His play with Carr deteriorated as the season went on last year and once again this year he has shown incapable of making plays in the end-zone. It’s time people accept that this isn’t a fluke, it’s just a deficiency he has as a player. He will continue to have more WR3 or below weeks than WR1. There’s nothing to relax about, he is who he has been the past few years.

Matthew berry has spoken everyone...AC droppable in all leagues 

26 minutes ago, Catch23 said:

Couldn't agree more.  Cooper turned 23 in June, and is two games into his third NFL season.   He is obviously on the downside of his career.  There's simply no room for growth.  Thank you so much for the intel.  Will be dropping and scooping up Seth Roberts asap.  

Dude....

13 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Over reaction central up in here. Everybody R-E-L-A-X. 

Its not really an over reaction because Cooper has not been a great WR for fantasy owners. Maybe this year is different for him but Crabtree ends up with better stats and could have been drafted a little bit  later in the draft. Coop is overrated IMO 

Edited by Under500Forever

12 hours ago, Catch23 said:

12 hours ago, Catch23 said:

I'm sorry that facts aren't fun. 

I agree with you...

ill come back and admit if I'm wrong but I just don't see anything changing in Oakland. Crabtree is the WR to own. Every year coop is hyped up , drafted in the first 2-3 rounds only to let Owners down. 

15 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Coop has drops this year but that can be fixed. He is still outpacing guys like OBJ and AJ Green and Doug Baldwin, etc...

Have never had any shares of Coop until this year. Last year I tried like crazy mid-year to buy in but was ultimately glad I missed out. This year I got him in one league. Because of my interest in him, I monitored this thread. This year the thread is already containing a lot of the same language used to excuse him and rationalize optimism, despite the lack of concrete fantasy numbers, as last year. Things like "if only", "when",  "but" followed by "targets", "coverage"....

Not saying Im giving up on him or that he won't improve. I realize its been 2 weeks, but seems like more of the same as last year. Its frustrating from a fantasy ownership perspective and makes me glad I only have 1 share of him. 

As for the quote above....are drops fixable? As has been pointed out, its always been a problem for him. And the major flaw with your example is a matter of the situation vs the player. Cincy and Sea offenses are miserably woeful and the lack of production for AJG and DB have nothing to do with the player. History tells us these offenses will likely not remain close to this terrible all year and these players will be big beneficiaries when it turns around. The Oak offense has been humming and AC still hasn't been putting up numbers. 

Edited by nromn

good news for both crabs and coop...even though he plays on crabs side a bit more

Redskins LCB Josh Norman (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Week 3.

He has an AC joint sprain in his shoulder, but it's a day-to-day injury, and Norman is fully expected to face the Raiders on Sunday night. Despite the fact that Washington played Alshon Jeffery and Sammy Watkins in their first two games, Norman was not used as a shadow corner. He is playing only on the left side.

10 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Redskins LCB Josh Norman (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Week 3.

He has an AC joint sprain in his shoulder, but it's a day-to-day injury, and Norman is fully expected to face the Raiders on Sunday night. Despite the fact that Washington played Alshon Jeffery and Sammy Watkins in their first two games, Norman was not used as a shadow corner. He is playing only on the left side.

definitely playing Cooper this weekend.  I'd bet he hits 100 + TD 

Y'all are nuts. Cooper is the man. He draws the primary coverage so Crabtree can go 1 on 1 with the #2. It does lead to crabs having more productive fantasy days sometimes, as Carr will take what's there. But Cooper is still the #1 WR, his talent and ceiling are much higher, he's more explosive. And crabs doing well will cause defenses not to be able to cheat as much. I'd take coops over crabs all day, and think he's got tremendous upside for the rest of the year.

Now that I know how his owners feel, gonna put out some trade offers for him...