Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

the Xander Bogaerts of football: solid player, but a massive gap between the immense talent and actual production. 

I owned Cooper last year (round 3 pick) and it felt like he won me two weeks, and stunk for the rest. Is the idea of him as a burgeoning WR1 just a mirage?

At this point it is.  He still gets a lot of credit for his name and I also think a lot of the fantasy pundits keep pumping him because they all talked about how he was a can't miss prospect that hasn't lived up to par.  IMO, at this point to his career he is a high end WR3 on a weekly basis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

At this point it is.  He still gets a lot of credit for his name and I also think a lot of the fantasy pundits keep pumping him because they all talked about how he was a can't miss prospect that hasn't lived up to par.  IMO, at this point to his career he is a high end WR3 on a weekly basis. 

That's probably because he received 130 targets his first two years and got over 1,000 yards both years receiving which makes him a WR1.  Not living up to par?  1,070 yards his rookie year...  Almost 1200 the next.  

 

He played vs an underrated Washington secondary and got shutdown by Josh Norman.  The same secondary that held Jeffery to 3 catches and Watkins/Kupp to combined 5.  If anything, people got Washington wrong and he was a sit in this game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

He's a glorified Darrius Heyward-Bey.

 

6 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

He's fast, and because he can't catch is inconsistent.   The definition of DHB. 

Yea DHB broke franchise records, he also was in the pro bowl his first two seasons, right?

Edited by ap0calypse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

That's probably because he received 130 targets his first two years and got over 1,000 yards both years receiving which makes him a WR1.  Not living up to par?  1,070 yards his rookie year...  Almost 1200 the next.  

 

He played vs an underrated Washington secondary and got shutdown by Josh Norman.  The same secondary that held Jeffery to 3 catches and Watkins/Kupp to combined 5.  If anything, people got Washington wrong and he was a sit in this game.

 

Not sure what that has to do with his drops in the EZ weeks one & 2, or his drop yesterday.  At the moment he isn't a WR1, and has clearly regressed, perhaps dealing with a mental block when it comes to catching the football.

Edited by Red Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Not sure what that has to do with his drops in the EZ weeks one & 2, or his drop yesterday.  At the moment he isn't a WR1, and has clearly regressed, perhaps dealing with a mental block when it comes to catching the football.

You're not sure what I said has to do with drops because it doesn't, nothing I quoted had anything to do with that.  I was arguing against a claim that he hasn't "lived up to par", and showed two years of stats disproving that.  It has nothing to do with his name, and everything to do with what he has done his first two years in the NFL.

 

What drops in week 1 and 2?  He has 1 drop this year.  And week 1 was a good week for him.  Are you watching different games than me?

Edited by ap0calypse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

That's probably because he received 130 targets his first two years and got over 1,000 yards both years receiving which makes him a WR1.  Not living up to par?  1,070 yards his rookie year...  Almost 1200 the next.  

 

He played vs an underrated Washington secondary and got shutdown by Josh Norman.  The same secondary that held Jeffery to 3 catches and Watkins/Kupp to combined 5.  If anything, people got Washington wrong and he was a sit in this game.

 

I don't know where this info would be but im sure someone could get it pretty quickly.

 

I would like to know how many weeks of his career so far he has finished outside WR12

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

That's probably because he received 130 targets his first two years and got over 1,000 yards both years receiving which makes him a WR1.  Not living up to par?  1,070 yards his rookie year...  Almost 1200 the next.  

 

He played vs an underrated Washington secondary and got shutdown by Josh Norman.  The same secondary that held Jeffery to 3 catches and Watkins/Kupp to combined 5.  If anything, people got Washington wrong and he was a sit in this game.

 

 

Of his 1153 yards in 2016, exactly 50%(577) of them came in 4 games.  

 

So he was a difference making receiver in 4 fantasy games last year.  Please tell me how that is a WR1? 

 

Last year he finished the year WR13.  The year before WR20 in 1pt PPR   I'm assuming his lack of TDs would have him lower both years in standard.   So far this year he is WR48 and by the end of tonight will be WR49 assuming Dez Bryant doesn't put up less than .90 points in a 1pt PPR. 

 

Your year long stats are nice to look at are nice if you are in Roto leagues, but in leagues where most of us play weekly head to head matchups he is more miss than hit and he has yet to be a WR1 in any season he has finished so what stats are you actually basing this on?

Edited by GottaGetTheWin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had him on my team since his rookie year.  Every year I expect him to take that next big step to become an elite wr.  Maybe it happens this year, next year, the year after.  But right now, I just can't put up with his inconsistency anymore.  In a week or two, he'll have another big game. Everyone will be back on board the train.  But that's when I'm selling. 

Edited by mikeflavaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not going to panic. He's on a high powered 

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

No one likes to see what they saw last game from a guy that was drafted very high, but I'm still going to keep the faith. It's too early for me to completely write Cooper off.

 

Amen. No way Carr plays like that again.

 

It wasn't just Cooper, in my non decimal standard scoring league Lynch, Cooper and Crabtree had one point combined. I believe at half time Carr had negative points. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, balotelli773 said:

Not going to panic. He's on a high powered 

 

Amen. No way Carr plays like that again.

 

It wasn't just Cooper, in my non decimal standard scoring league Lynch, Cooper and Crabtree had one point combined. I believe at half time Carr had negative points. 

Yep. Everyone was horrendous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm probably the biggest Cooper apologist there is. Loved him coming out of college, and he has amazing raw talent. But there does not seem to be the killing instinct, atleast not yet, to really take the next step. Right now he is a WR2, and unless he can start getting over his dropping issue and playing hard on every snap, that's where he will remain

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

 

Of his 1153 yards in 2016, exactly 50%(577) of them came in 4 games.  

 

So he was a difference making receiver in 4 fantasy games last year.  Please tell me how that is a WR1? 

 

Last year he finished the year WR13.  The year before WR20 in 1pt PPR   I'm assuming his lack of TDs would have him lower both years in standard.   So far this year he is WR48 and by the end of tonight will be WR49 assuming Dez Bryant doesn't put up less than .90 points in a 1pt PPR. 

 

Your year long stats are nice to look at are nice if you are in Roto leagues, but in leagues where most of us play weekly head to head matchups is more miss than hit and he has yet to be a WR1 in any season he has finished so what stats are you actually basing this on?

One of those years was his rookie year.  What rookie isn't inconsistent?  And TDs generally regress towards the mean.  You just said he finished as WR20 and WR13 in his first two years in the NFL, but you are calling him a "high end WR3 with upside" based on three games?  First game, he finished WR12 in PPR and another one, based on their overall offensive play, was an anomaly vs Washington.

 

Yea, his floor has been riskier game to game than some other guys in the WR1 bracket, but it's not like he only relies on the big play.  Outside of the established elite WRs like Julio, Brown etc, how many WR1s finish as WR1s week to week?  Even Julio put up some duds last year.  People who like Cooper, assume he will be able to break out into the elite bracket over a player like Baldwin.

Edited by ap0calypse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ap0calypse said:

One of those years was his rookie year.  What rookie isn't inconsistent?  And TDs generally regress towards the mean.  You just said he finished as WR20 and WR13 in his first two years in the NFL, but you are calling him a "high end WR3 with upside" based on three games?  First game, he finished WR12 in PPR and another one, based on their overall offensive play, was an anomaly vs Washington.

 

Yea, his floor has been riskier game to game than some other guys in the WR1 bracket, but it's not like he only relies on the big play.  Outside of the established elite WRs like Julio, Brown etc, how many WR1s finish as WR1s week to week?  Even Julio put up some duds last year.  People who like Cooper, assume he will be able to break out into the elite bracket over a player like Baldwin.

People are over in Julio Jones' thread complaining about him as well. That just shows you how people overreact on here. Again, Cooper hasn't been good this year, but it's three games. Everyone was freaking out about Sammy Watkins and then look what happened.

Edited by hangin n wangin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also a believer in always start your studs too, regardless of how poor they played the week prior. I've seen this story before.

 

Stud busts the week prior - you started him.

Stud booms the next week - you benched him.

 

Studs are born to bounce back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ap0calypse said:

He played vs an underrated Washington secondary and got shutdown by Josh Norman.  The same secondary that held Jeffery to 3 catches and Watkins/Kupp to combined 5.  If anything, people got Washington wrong and he was a sit in this game.

 

Hate to say it as i am a cooper fan but Norman was on Crabs almost all night as Cooper played majority on left side of offense. Opposite side of where norman is comfortable. It was breeland who shut down Coop...And terrible play by oakland all around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

I'm also a believer in always start your studs too, regardless of how poor they played the week prior. I've seen this story before.

 

Stud busts the week prior - you started him.

Stud booms the next week - you benched him.

 

Studs are born to bounce back.

 

I guess my concern is, we saw what the Redskins did to the entire Raiders offense. Do we think that Denver isn't going to do about the same? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ak427 said:

 

I guess my concern is, we saw what the Redskins did to the entire Raiders offense. Do we think that Denver isn't going to do about the same? 

 

One would assume so yes, but who thought Buffalo would take down Denver yesterday. Anything can happen in this league. Sometimes reading into these forums and everyone's opinions just muddles things. I bet Oakland bounces back. That team is too good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ak427 said:

Gonna be tough to justify starting him this week against Denver. But I'm always of the opinion of playing your studs. I just can't figure out if he's a stud right now

That's why fantasy Is nothing but a pure guessing game, it's nothing but guesses. He could go out there and go nuts even with it being a tough matchup 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...