NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, jspeed said:

Because he's the primary route on most plays.  Also he gets the most defensive attention.

You might not think that highly of AC, but the Raiders and their opponents do.

What does any of this have to do with fantasy production?  Even if the raiders and defenses thought he was Jesus that does nothing for fantasy owners

Just now, Red Dog said:

Unfortunately that kind of production sucks in PPR too.

Yeah I agree, I'm just pissed. I've been holding this since his rookie year at 2.04 in a 14 team dynasty league. 

I also have Carr this year. That needs to get going and fast. 

57 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Yeah I agree, I'm just pissed. I've been holding this since his rookie year at 2.04 in a 14 team dynasty league. 

I also have Carr this year. That needs to get going and fast. 

It will - might take one more week. He also might not live up to his draft stock due in large part to his horrid start but ROS he'll be very good, along with Carr, and the Raiders offense. 

7 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

It will - might take one more week. He also might not live up to his draft stock due in large part to his horrid start but ROS he'll be very good, along with Carr, and the Raiders offense. 

I don't know.  Everyone gushes about the Carr/Cooper combo but I don't see it.  Carr has yet to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.  Cooper is being drafted ahead of Crabtree which is laughable.   I want to know who came up with this crap about crowning these guys elite.   

20 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I don't know.  Everyone gushes about the Carr/Cooper combo but I don't see it.  Carr has yet to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.  Cooper is being drafted ahead of Crabtree which is laughable.   I want to know who came up with this crap about crowning these guys elite.   

Im an Eagles fan living in Oakland. I've watched every snap of both of their careers. Carr is absolutely elite. That terrible showing on national television aside he's been spectacular. Cooper is very good as well. He has some things to work on (i.e. Drops, concentration) but he's  the total package. He's heady, runs good routes, an above average athlete (at the most athletic position on offense), tough, and just understands how to get open. Sooner then later all this stuff is going to click and they'll prove why people are so high on him. I do agree he was probably overdrafted but he's going to be good for lots of years to come.

if you have doubts about Carr he lead the team to 12 wins in arguably the toughest division in the NFL last year with a very mediocre defense.

This is Cooper’s 3rd year and he still can’t catch the ball.  I don’t get what people were expecting...  

Why was he suddenly going to change?

He could be the ‘god’ of route running, but who cares?  Carr is very very good and not the problem.  He throws catchable balls.

The Raiders don’t have a true WR1.  Crabtree is a high end WR2.  Cooper is a WR3, but a WR2 with high volume.

You might be able to trade Cooper for someone like Cobb. Or, bundle him for someone like Nelson. (because of name recognition)

Cooper was at the top of my avoid list (when drafting).  If he has a good game, sell sell sell.

2 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

This is Cooper’s 3rd year and he still can’t catch the ball.  I don’t get what people were expecting...  

He could be the ‘god’ of route running, but who cares?  Carr is very very good and not the problem.  He throws catchable balls.

The Raiders don’t have a true WR1.  Crabtree is a high end WR2.  Cooper is a WR3, but a WR2 with high volume.

You might be able to trade Cooper for someone like Cobb. Or, bundle him for someone like Nelson. (because of name recognition)

Cooper was at the top of my avoid list (when drafting).  If he has a good game, sell sell sell.

You might be able to trade Cooper for someone like Cobb? I've heard it all.

11 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

What purpose do you serve on here?

My purpose here is to enform all the people here that Cooper isn’t the person they thought he was, and tell them to move on.

Or, they can keep him and continue to be disappointed.

What is your purpose here? To talking each other into keeping him?

Some people here are trying to figure out if Cooper is worth buying low on.  From the data others have provided, I think they’ve discovered that it’s best to look elsewhere for better values.  For example, a WR recovering from an injury or maybe someone that has better matchups going forward.  There are also a bunch of QB’s (with established histories) that have underperformed and that’s made their receivers buy low candidates...

Anyone have confidence in Cooper this week? Fantasy pros doesn't seem to think it's a terrible matchup for him:

"It’s officially the time for Amari Cooper supporters to crawl in the fetal position and cry. He’s been bad this year, but not in the way that Terrelle Pryor is bad. Cooper is so frustrating because he’s getting open seemingly at will, but he’s now dropped a league-leading six passes. He’s just 23 years old, so don’t give up on him or anything, but it’s been frustrating for sure. The Broncos are a tough matchup, but not one that you should run from. Cooper is one of the six wide receivers who was able to score against the Broncos last year and he actually lines up on Bradley Roby’s side more than he does on Aqib Talib’s side. The Broncos allowed Dez Bryant to post a seven-catch, 59-yard, one-touchdown performance against them just two weeks ago and have actually already allowed four wide receiver touchdowns on the year after just seven the entire 2016 season. Maybe the loss of T.J. Ward looms large? Cooper should be in lineups as a WR2 this week and an interesting contrarian play in DFS tournaments".

I was considering him an easy bench for Thielen this week, but they have him as a WR2. I don't know anymore.

3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Anyone have confidence in Cooper this week? Fantasy pros doesn't seem to think it's a terrible matchup for him:

"It’s officially the time for Amari Cooper supporters to crawl in the fetal position and cry. He’s been bad this year, but not in the way that Terrelle Pryor is bad. Cooper is so frustrating because he’s getting open seemingly at will, but he’s now dropped a league-leading six passes. He’s just 23 years old, so don’t give up on him or anything, but it’s been frustrating for sure. The Broncos are a tough matchup, but not one that you should run from. Cooper is one of the six wide receivers who was able to score against the Broncos last year and he actually lines up on Bradley Roby’s side more than he does on Aqib Talib’s side. The Broncos allowed Dez Bryant to post a seven-catch, 59-yard, one-touchdown performance against them just two weeks ago and have actually already allowed four wide receiver touchdowns on the year after just seven the entire 2016 season. Maybe the loss of T.J. Ward looms large? Cooper should be in lineups as a WR2 this week and an interesting contrarian play in DFS tournaments".

I was considering him an easy bench for Thielen this week, but they have him as a WR2. I don't know anymore.

Ugh. Why did you have to post this. Had Cooper on my bench and now reconsidering.  :unsure:

Just now, jtbgator said:

Ugh. Why did you have to post this. Had Cooper on my bench and now reconsidering.  :unsure:

LOL dude. It's just the worst. Happened to me last week with Watkins. Thielen was firmly in my line up with confidence and at the last second I threw in Watkins. That move paid off. But I just don't know about Cooper this week.

I see this game either being an outright blowout or a competitive game of some form in which Cooper will be targeted a lot. I'm glass half empty but it's hard to sit him because I think he's gonna randomly put up numbers in a weird way. That said I am very concerned for his ROS outlook if he continues to drop passes, which has worried me for a while. 

Do yourselves a favor and sit him. Seriously. Dez had a decent performance against the Broncos because we was targeted 15 times, and only turned that into 7 catches and 59 yards. Plus, Dez is on whole other level and the focal point of Dallas' passing offense. Cooper is not going to "get open at will" against Talib, Roby, or Harris. He couldnt even muster more than thirty three yards against the Jets. Wait till next week at the very least. Better days ahead but not this weekend.