NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

lots of speculation that he will get through his slump, what i see on the field though is a guy without much confidence.  Even Del Rio is saying he needs to stop the drops, but I don't believe that's the kind of help he needs to get through his mental issues. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, sandman0803 said:

I'm starting him because I can't bring myself to bench him. However, if he lays a single digit number this week, I don't think anyone can start him next week. 

same here I am starting him in ppr over Ameer abdulah and B marshall and its sad I am not confident at all in my decision

7 minutes ago, HTXMade said:

Cooper is just terrible, my goodness.  Totally whiffed on the pick

For whatever reason, he's just not a featured part of the offense. He's been open multiple times, but EJ is locked in on Crabtree after the snap. Moreover, the OC doesn't do anything to get him easy touches (e.g. WR screens).

was anyone expecting anything?

as a raider fan he looks like hes completely lost confidence in himself. im shocked to say this but i also question his effort level. perhaps the two are correlated. 

i suppose worth seeing what happens when carr comes back but im starting to really doubt he turns it around this year. 

5 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

was anyone expecting anything?

as a raider fan he looks like hes completely lost confidence in himself. im shocked to say this but i also question his effort level. perhaps the two are correlated. 

i suppose worth seeing what happens when carr comes back but im starting to really doubt he turns it around this year. 

Is it possible that he's hurt and they are just using him as a decoy? It would explain why he's not being featured, as well as why he would appear to be listless out there.

17 minutes ago, augustine said:

Is it possible that he's hurt and they are just using him as a decoy? It would explain why he's not being featured, as well as why he would appear to be listless out there.

no i dont think hes hurt. hes actually running good routes. one of the biggest contributing factors would be the ineptitude of the offensive coordinator. i think both coopand the raiders would greatly benefit from Downing getting canned.

2 hours ago, augustine said:

For whatever reason, he's just not a featured part of the offense. He's been open multiple times, but EJ is locked in on Crabtree after the snap. Moreover, the OC doesn't do anything to get him easy touches (e.g. WR screens).

I don't understand why they don't do this. The dude obviously didn't lose any talent its just his confidence is low. Especially with Carr out I'm not sure why they didn't take a more aggressive approach to try and get the ball to him. Screen pass, Jet Sweep, direct snap something. Can't keep running into a wall and expect things to magically change unless you change your approach. 

I think the issues are all mental so the good thing about that is one big play he gets his confidence back and can turn around his season. For this reason I'd keep him tucked away on your bench until this breakthrough happens. Don't forget even when himself he isn't that consistent a player though.

Edited by Jaw1

Previous years vs his current pace. 

2015: 130 targets | 72 receptions | 1070 yards | 6 touchdowns

2016: 132 targets | 83 receptions | 1153 yards | 5 touchdowns

2017: 108 targets | 42 receptions | 378 yards   | 3 touchdowns 

1 minute ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Becoming really difficult to come up with any case for optimism here.  I guess when Carr comes back Cooper's ceiling goes up to 3-4 catches for ~50 yards?

2 catches 15 yards.