NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

If Cooper gets 192 targets like Hopkins got in his 3rd season, sure. Crabtree will need to fall off for that to happen. 

Cooper had 72 receptions his first year, 83 the next year. He also increased his yards each season. I just said I didn't expect him to put up the 111 Deandre Hopkins line. Are you saying that Cooper would need 192 targets to get to 90 receptions? Or do you just not see the 90-1300-8 as a possibility because of Crabtree?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mrschrod said:

Cooper had 72 receptions his first year, 83 the next year. He also increased his yards each season. I just said I didn't expect him to put up the 111 Deandre Hopkins line. Are you saying that Cooper would need 192 targets to get to 90 receptions? Or do you just not see the 90-1300-8 as a possibility because of Crabtree?

Crabtree could fall off this year...in fact I think it's likely. If he doesn't, Cooper won't be a WR1. 

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Crabtree could fall off this year...in fact I think it's likely. If he doesn't, Cooper won't be a WR1. 

Not for nothing, but Cooper's 2016 result was:

WR11 in PPR leagues

WR14 in .5PPR leagues

WR11 in Standard scoring leagues

Both he and Crabtree played every game last season.

If Crabtree stays healthy, are you expecting Cooper to regress?

If so, what leads you to that opinion?

The ONLY way I could imagine regression for Cooper, barring injury, is Marshawn Lynch.  If Lynch comes to town and goes back to being a dominant workhorse, maybe Oakland heeds him and we see an uptick in rushes and downtick in passes. However, Oakland was still 11th in rushing attempts last year, and 6th in yards.  So I can't imagine Lynch moves those numbers significantly higher.  Another year in the league I think is a positive for Cooper, as he gains more experience, and a negative for Crabtree, as he is a year older and will be 30 this season.  I think both players will be fine however and will both put out attractive stats.  Carr is another year experienced, and the offense should be just as good, if not better, than last year.  I am banking on Cooper as a WR1 this year, and will not hesitate to draft him in the top 2 rounds.  

I'm all aboard Coop in the mid/late 2nd this year.  He's still only 22 years old, has improved each of his first two years while finishing as WR12 last year, plays in an explosive offense with a young star QB, and the new offensive coordinator should get more creative in moving Coop around.  Crab will still get fed but this offense can easily support another 1000/8 from Crab with an increase for Coop as well.

I like Cooper's chances to taking a bigger step forward this year.  His 1st two years in the league didn't define him as a star but you really can't be mad at what he's done.  I actually thought he took a step forward last year as he at times did show dominance and would get you some pretty big blow up games, which he didn't really do in his rookie campaign.  The fact that Crabtree can go off is a very good thing imo. Marshawn should give more of a threat on the ground which is also good. And you have to really like Carr's progression.  The line is good on top of that. The offense is gearing up to be one the NFL's best, and Cooper will benefit. 

Edited by mikeflavaz

Amari Cooper 

One of only three receivers in NFL history to record at least 70 receptions and 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons (the others were Marques Colston and Odell Beckham Jr.), Cooper has nonetheless ended both the 2015 and the 2016 seasons leaving the impression that it could have been so much more.

Cooper had 72 receptions for 1,070 yards as a rookie first-round draft pick out of Alabama, and last season had 83 receptions for 1,153 yards.

But while Cooper breaks from the gate and leaves defenders in his wake, he struggles to reach the finish line. A fade when it comes to Cooper isn’t always a route run into the back of the end zone.

“Of course it’s been on my mind, but it’s a good thing to me because I feel like I can go nowhere but up,” Cooper said Tuesday following a Raiders OTA practice. “I know that I can have a lot more production than I’ve had in the past two seasons, so we’ll just see.”

As a rookie, Cooper had 45 catches for 665 yards in his first eight games and 27 for 405 yards the rest of the way.

In Year 2, Cooper had 52 catches for 787 yards at mid-season and 31 for 366 in the final eight.

Considering Cooper’s talent, the end zone has been more elusive than you’d expect, with 11 touchdowns in 32 games.

The thing coach Jack Del Rio likes about Cooper is he doesn’t have to spend a lot of time urging him to keep pushing.

“I know he’s just scratching the surface of what he wants to accomplish in this league,” Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said. “Very prideful. Amari has always been very serious about the game and works hard at everything.”

Persistent drops and a foot injury slowed Cooper as a rookie, but last season it was more difficult to pinpoint reasons for the late-season fade.

Cooper believes hard work and emphasis on fundamentals will enable him to put two good halves together.

“It’s easy to forget the small things like high-pointing the ball, looking the ball all the way through and not trying to run before you catch the ball,” Cooper said. “Overall, (I’m) just working hard in the offseason so that you can come back and you can be dominant.”

When it’s suggested to Cooper that the third season can be a lift-off point for his position, he said, “We’re in the present now, so I want to be the best Amari Cooper that I could possibly be. I want to be better than every other year that I’ve played football, so that’s how I am looking at this year.”

By making small improvements, Del Rio believes Cooper’s star will continue to ascend.

“I think he has a much greater understanding,” Del Rio said. “I thought last year was a step forward. I know he wants to continue to push. It’s great when you have a young, talented player that’s really eager to be special, wants to make his mark in this league. The way he’s working at it right now is outstanding.

“That’s all we want of our guys. Come in every day and express themselves and be full of energy and try to work at something. Be a little bit better at something.”

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Amari Cooper 

One of only three receivers in NFL history to record at least 70 receptions and 1,000 yards in each of his first two seasons (the others were Marques Colston and Odell Beckham Jr.), Cooper has nonetheless ended both the 2015 and the 2016 seasons leaving the impression that it could have been so much more.

Cooper had 72 receptions for 1,070 yards as a rookie first-round draft pick out of Alabama, and last season had 83 receptions for 1,153 yards.

But while Cooper breaks from the gate and leaves defenders in his wake, he struggles to reach the finish line. A fade when it comes to Cooper isn’t always a route run into the back of the end zone.

“Of course it’s been on my mind, but it’s a good thing to me because I feel like I can go nowhere but up,” Cooper said Tuesday following a Raiders OTA practice. “I know that I can have a lot more production than I’ve had in the past two seasons, so we’ll just see.”

As a rookie, Cooper had 45 catches for 665 yards in his first eight games and 27 for 405 yards the rest of the way.

In Year 2, Cooper had 52 catches for 787 yards at mid-season and 31 for 366 in the final eight.

Considering Cooper’s talent, the end zone has been more elusive than you’d expect, with 11 touchdowns in 32 games.

The thing coach Jack Del Rio likes about Cooper is he doesn’t have to spend a lot of time urging him to keep pushing.

“I know he’s just scratching the surface of what he wants to accomplish in this league,” Raiders coach Jack Del Rio said. “Very prideful. Amari has always been very serious about the game and works hard at everything.”

Persistent drops and a foot injury slowed Cooper as a rookie, but last season it was more difficult to pinpoint reasons for the late-season fade.

Cooper believes hard work and emphasis on fundamentals will enable him to put two good halves together.

“It’s easy to forget the small things like high-pointing the ball, looking the ball all the way through and not trying to run before you catch the ball,” Cooper said. “Overall, (I’m) just working hard in the offseason so that you can come back and you can be dominant.”

When it’s suggested to Cooper that the third season can be a lift-off point for his position, he said, “We’re in the present now, so I want to be the best Amari Cooper that I could possibly be. I want to be better than every other year that I’ve played football, so that’s how I am looking at this year.”

By making small improvements, Del Rio believes Cooper’s star will continue to ascend.

“I think he has a much greater understanding,” Del Rio said. “I thought last year was a step forward. I know he wants to continue to push. It’s great when you have a young, talented player that’s really eager to be special, wants to make his mark in this league. The way he’s working at it right now is outstanding.

“That’s all we want of our guys. Come in every day and express themselves and be full of energy and try to work at something. Be a little bit better at something.”

Good post.    Gotta like the drive to be the best.    

Is it just me or is just kind of a smallish,  not overly fast guy?   Reminds me of a young Chris Carter.   Not at all a bad thing but maybe never destined to be that elite wr1. 

36 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Is it just me or is just kind of a smallish,  not overly fast guy?   Reminds me of a young Chris Carter.   Not at all a bad thing but maybe never destined to be that elite wr1. 

Chris carter is a hall of famer.

I think chris carter was a wr1 when he played and amari was a wr1 last year and will be again this year.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats

4 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Chris carter is a hall of famer.

I think chris carter was a wr1 when he played and amari was a wr1 last year and will be again this year.

He was a TD machine but more of the inside possession guy who played a long time.   He more or less busted out of Philly and then played with Anthony Carter or Moss on the wings.   

Im not sure what to think of cooper athletically.   He does have talent though.

you like him in the second round? 

Just now, Impreza178 said:

He was a TD machine but more of the inside possession guy who played a long time.   He more or less busted out of Philly and then played with Anthony Carter or Moss on the wings.   

Don't forget Jake Reed... very solid 4 year stretch from '94-'97

43 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Im not sure what to think of cooper athletically.   He does have talent though.

you like him in the second round? 

I watched him since high school.

At an alabama camp before Cooper signed with Bama Chris Carter was at the camp and saw Cooper and said he would be a pro bowler in the NFL.

He saw that raw talent, smooth in and out of his breaks, his speed, etc...

So far in the NFL Chris has been dead on accurate. Cooper is entering his 3rd year and he wants to be great, the team around him is awesome, they could very well lead the league in scoring this year.

If coop can just get another 170 yards than he did last year that woukd be 1300 yards and if he is the WR1 on the highest scoring offense then i could see 8-10 TDs.

That would only be 3-5 more TDs and 170 more yards than he had last year.

Cooper had 1 throw hit the tv camera wire that would have been a TD and another he had called back for a penalty. His talent is undeniable and i fully expect him to surpass 1300 yards this year. Consistency has hurr him so far feom a fantasy aspect. He hurts teams in the 2nd half of the season and that burns people.

Cooper is one of those guys who is awesome when he is hot, 100 yard receiving games and multiple TD games amd thats a ride i cant wait to be on when he can do it later in the year.

This is his year in my opinion. Lynch keeps a safety creeping down, no more double teaming coopee letting crabs go 1 on 1 with the 2nd team DB. Cooper will see more man coverage this season than he has his whole career amd i think that is going to help a lot. Arguably the best OLine in football, a top 3 QB throwing to him, continuity in coachinf staff and playcalling and familiarity with the sysytem. I just think its a great time to get amari.

All that said, i usually prefer RB in the first 2 rounds but if i had a late round pick i could see myself taking Cooper from the middle of the second round to the end of the second round so i could get another RB on the turn.

To me, its worth passing up on a julio in the late first round id you could get a RB1 and then Cooper in the late second round with a second borderline RB1 on the turn to the 3rd round. 

14 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I watched him since high school.

At an alabama camp before Cooper signed with Bama Chris Carter was at the camp and saw Cooper and said he would be a pro bowler in the NFL.

He saw that raw talent, smooth in and out of his breaks, his speed, etc...

So far in the NFL Chris has been dead on accurate. Cooper is entering his 3rd year and he wants to be great, the team around him is awesome, they could very well lead the league in scoring this year.

If coop can just get another 170 yards than he did last year that woukd be 1300 yards and if he is the WR1 on the highest scoring offense then i could see 8-10 TDs.

That would only be 3-5 more TDs and 170 more yards than he had last year.

Cooper had 1 throw hit the tv camera wire that would have been a TD and another he had called back for a penalty. His talent is undeniable and i fully expect him to surpass 1300 yards this year. Consistency has hurr him so far feom a fantasy aspect. He hurts teams in the 2nd half of the season and that burns people.

Cooper is one of those guys who is awesome when he is hot, 100 yard receiving games and multiple TD games amd thats a ride i cant wait to be on when he can do it later in the year.

This is his year in my opinion. Lynch keeps a safety creeping down, no more double teaming coopee letting crabs go 1 on 1 with the 2nd team DB. Cooper will see more man coverage this season than he has his whole career amd i think that is going to help a lot. Arguably the best OLine in football, a top 3 QB throwing to him, continuity in coachinf staff and playcalling and familiarity with the sysytem. I just think its a great time to get amari.

All that said, i usually prefer RB in the first 2 rounds but if i had a late round pick i could see myself taking Cooper from the middle of the second round to the end of the second round so i could get another RB on the turn.

To me, its worth passing up on a julio in the late first round id you could get a RB1 and then Cooper in the late second round with a second borderline RB1 on the turn to the 3rd round. 

In 29 career games started he has 9 100 yards games and ONE multiple TD game. That's 1 multi td game in 29 attempts. I'm from Bama and love Amari, but let's post facts. 

22 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Why do you think he's smallish?

12 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Why do you think he's smallish?

What is he 6' or 6 1"?   Looks like shorter arms, not a big vertical.  

In this day of tall, gangly, 4.3 second athletes he seems like more a technician than a guy to blow by you or run through you. 

I don't dislike him, just want to know what I'm looking at.

Edited by Impreza178

58 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

In this day of tall, gangly, 4.3 second athletes he seems like more a technician than a guy to blow by you or run through you. 

I think you are prez, he's a technician. Masterfull route runner but not physically freakIsh like some guys. Nothing wrong with that, just limits his ability to be truly dominant. He's still a stud, just a guy I'd rather have as my #2. 

21 hours ago, mmcc1029 said:

In 29 career games started he has 9 100 yards games and ONE multiple TD game. That's 1 multi td game in 29 attempts. I'm from Bama and love Amari, but let's post facts. 

Yeah, and he had 1 game where he had 2 Tds called back, 1 for a penalty and 1 where he just missed dragging his toe in bounds. 

Even by your numbers he had 10 of 29 games of either over 100 yards or multiple tds

Even cooper admits he has faded down the stretch of his first 2 seasons.

That is why i said when he is hot with 100 yard games or multiple td games he is awesome. This year i expect those to increase even more as he puts together a better season than last year.

You can nitpick every point i try to make but that wont change the fact that amari will be in for a 1300+ yard season and 8-10 TD season provided he stay healthy

19 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

His vertical is with 1 inch of michael crabtrees.

14 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Sure... In his division.

Or did I miss a blockbuster trade of Rodgers, Brady, or Brees going to Oakland?

How about kirk cousins or matt ryan? Statistically they were beaten only by brees last year.

Carr finished ranked 14th and still had his team make the playoffs.

I personally think Carr and the raiders can lead the league in scoring this year so i dont think it is a stretch to predict Carr as a top 3 QB this coming up year.

On June 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Impreza178 said:

You aren't wrong with what your saying but I do think the height, 40 time and vert aren't a clear indicator of success or lack there of. For example, Antonio Brown (5'11", 4.47 40, 33.5" vert) OBJ (5'11", 4.43 40, 38" vert) are both comparable to Amari (6'1", 4.42 40 and 33" vert) in those measurable and they are the cream of the crop WR's.