NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

47 minutes ago, floppy said:

I got amendola and I'm still going cooper. I think he does well tonight. at least I'm positively telling myself he will eh

If I had a healthy D. Parker I'd consider over Cooper, but still think I'd land with Cooper.

Hard to take a dart through (i.e. T. Gabriel, K. Stills, J-Schuster, etc.) over Cooper.

Man, I hope all of this isn't just wishful thinking. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it helps anyone, I'm going with Cooper as my WR3 in non-ppr over John Brown and Randall Cobb (although the Cobb decision is a lot easier with Rodgers now out).  Like the rest of you, I'm just praying for the best and would take 70 yard, 0 TD performance at this point.  Sad.

Derek Carr returned to game action last week and although the results weren’t ideal, his form was, showing no ill effects while throwing across his body. We can assume that he’s at almost full health. The Chiefs defense has gone from one to avoid throwing against, to one that you can find mismatches throughout their secondary. The injuries to Eric Berry and Steven Nelson have showed up big, as they’ve now allowed 10 passing scores in the last five games, which included five to Deshaun Watson in Week 5. The only quarterback who failed to throw for at least 7.2 yards per attempt against them this season was Philip Rivers, and he always struggles against the Chiefs. In two games against them last year, Carr totaled 225 yards and a touchdown in the first meeting and then just 117 yards without a touchdown in the second game. The better game was the one at home, which is where he’ll be in this matchup. Considering the Chiefs defensive struggles recently, play Carr as a high-end QB2 who can surprise.

Michael Crabtree continued his hot start to the season and now has five touchdowns in his last four games. He lines up on Marcus Peters’ side of the field a majority of the time, but he’ll only see him roughly 45 percent of the time. It’s enough to downgrade him slightly, but he’s still starting as a WR2 with the way Amari Cooper is struggling. The Chiefs have already allowed seven wide receivers total at least 15.5 PPR points against them on the season and a large part of that reason is due to the play of RCB Terrance Mitchell, who will match-up with Cooper this week on roughly 50 percent of his snaps. It’s been a rough season for Cooper as well, but we know that one of them is uber-talented. The Raiders designed some shorter routes and confidence-boosting passes to Cooper last week, as he caught five of six targets, though they only went for 28 yards. He’s is a slump so we can’t get too excited, but he should be in lineups as a WR3 with massive upside in this game. Phillip Gaines has actually done a really good job defending the slot this year, making Seth Roberts an afterthought in this game.

Man... I'm think I might be lil crazy but I really have a feeling Coop has a big game tonight. Thinking of putting him in my flex over Allen. I've got 8 hours to ponder this decision but I like the upside in this match up and this could be the get right game we have been waiting for. I love me some Allen but against the Broncos who just got embarrassed by the Giants, I have a feeling they come out strong and play pissed off. Again maybe crazy but I see 6 rec 111 yds and a td (30+ yd td catch) ...

Cooper is coming off his best outing since Week 3, but he is still not fantasy relevant. We explain why.

It has not been a good year for Oakland Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper. Sunday he caught five passes on six targets for 28 yards in the Week 6 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. That is more receptions and receiving yards than his last three games combined. This was only his second game with at least five receptions. Cooper has not had over 50 yards receiving or a score since Week 1.

Things do not get easier for Cooper Thursday night. Raiders QB Derek Carr is playing with an injury and looked reluctant to throw the deep pass last week. Cooper also draws another tough one-on-one matchup this week when he lines up across from Chiefs All-Pro corner Marcus Peters.

Fantasy impact: Cooper cannot seem to catch a break this season. He has not had a fantasy relevant game since Week 1 and he always faces the best corners on opposing teams. His longest reception since Week 2 has been 8 yards. Sadly, his 28 yards receiving in Week 6 marked only his third double-digit receiving yards game this season. Cooper will not be any better lined up against Peters Thursday night.

Recommendation: Sit

More from sbnation.com:

Authors: Rita Baldwin and Kevin Lee 

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Cooper is coming off his best outing since Week 3, but he is still not fantasy relevant. We explain why.

It has not been a good year for Oakland Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper. Sunday he caught five passes on six targets for 28 yards in the Week 6 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. That is more receptions and receiving yards than his last three games combined. This was only his second game with at least five receptions. Cooper has not had over 50 yards receiving or a score since Week 1.

Things do not get easier for Cooper Thursday night. Raiders QB Derek Carr is playing with an injury and looked reluctant to throw the deep pass last week. Cooper also draws another tough one-on-one matchup this week when he lines up across from Chiefs All-Pro corner Marcus Peters.

Fantasy impact: Cooper cannot seem to catch a break this season. He has not had a fantasy relevant game since Week 1 and he always faces the best corners on opposing teams. His longest reception since Week 2 has been 8 yards. Sadly, his 28 yards receiving in Week 6 marked only his third double-digit receiving yards game this season. Cooper will not be any better lined up against Peters Thursday night.

More from sbnation.com:

Still starting, what else you got? lol. Unless you can wire me a better option through my NFL app, I have no choice. He is DUE my man, throw 1% of the henry faith into cooper for me. Thanks 

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

More from sbnation.com:

I thought Crabtree lines up mostly on Peter's side? Cooper never goes deep too often, he takes short passes and gets YAC.. Best case scenario he lines up across Mitchell all night. 

12 minutes ago, Mmiller186 said:

Man... I'm think I might be lil crazy but I really have a feeling Coop has a big game tonight. Thinking of putting him in my flex over Allen. I've got 8 hours to ponder this decision but I like the upside in this match up and this could be the get right game we have been waiting for. I love me some Allen but against the Broncos who just got embarrassed by the Giants, I have a feeling they come out strong and play pissed off. Again maybe crazy but I see 6 rec 111 yds and a td (30+ yd td catch) ...

Don't let things like this make your decisions for you.

1 minute ago, Brettg57 said:

I thought Crabtree lines up mostly on Peter's side? Cooper never goes deep too often, he takes short passes and gets YAC.. Best case scenario he lines up across Mitchell all night. 

Yes cooper will see less of Peters than crabtree as Peters lines up on the left side of D. Amari usually lines up on left side of offense.

Michael Crabtree continued his hot start to the season and now has five touchdowns in his last four games. He lines up on Marcus Peters’ side of the field a majority of the time, but he’ll only see him roughly 45 percent of the time. It’s enough to downgrade him slightly, but he’s still starting as a WR2 with the way Amari Cooper is struggling. The Chiefs have already allowed seven wide receivers total at least 15.5 PPR points against them on the season and a large part of that reason is due to the play of RCB Terrance Mitchell, who will match-up with Cooper this week on roughly 50 percent of his snaps. It’s been a rough season for Cooper as well, but we know that one of them is uber-talented. The Raiders designed some shorter routes and confidence-boosting passes to Cooper last week, as he caught five of six targets, though they only went for 28 yards. He’s is a slump so we can’t get too excited, but he should be in lineups as a WR3 with massive upside in this game. Phillip Gaines has actually done a really good job defending the slot this year, making Seth Roberts an afterthought in this game.

3 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yes cooper will see less of Peters than crabtree as Peters lines up on the left side of D. Amari usually lines up on left side of offense.

Does Peters shadow? I want to guess no, but I'm not entirely sure. If he stays on his side away from Cooper, Amari could be in line for some more looks as Crab battles with Peters.

5 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Still starting, what else you got? lol. Unless you can wire me a better option through my NFL app, I have no choice. He is DUE my man, throw 1% of the henry faith into cooper for me. Thanks 

Im starting him, just posted the article to show the ignorance. They day peters will be on him which wont be true.

And who the hell is rita baldwin and ke in lee? Fantasy football savants?

FWIW the Chiefs secondary outside of Peters is absolute trash. We regularly feature the CB rated dead last by PFF's list of CBs, the great Philip Gaines. I would not blame anyone for starting Cooper tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/hI9EtXx.gif

https://i.imgur.com/mMSnfSd.gif

Gaines in action last week...smh

Edited by omnom1337

14 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Does Peters shadow? I want to guess no, but I'm not entirely sure. If he stays on his side away from Cooper, Amari could be in line for some more looks as Crab battles with Peters.

There is literally 15 posts on how peters stays on one side of the field lol. 

5-28-0 vs LAC

but, a 25 yds rec was wiped out on a BS holding call 

and, another for 30 yds which would have been a TD was stopped by a great play on the ball by their SS.

That line could have easily been 7-83-1.  Coop is a lot closer to having a breakout game than the box scores might suggest. 

Fingers crossed it happens tonight!

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Im starting him, just posted the article to show the ignorance. They day peters will be on him which wont be true.

And who the hell is rita baldwin and ke in lee? Fantasy football savants?

"Experts" are lazy; it is all about pumping out word filled articles with a few numbers to make it seem like it has statistical significance.  Start/Sit takes are awful ways of approaching season-long fantasy football.  At least provide me with an average projection with a range of outcomes based on your s---y boxscore analysis, so that I can make a decision based on my players.  "SIT: Amari Cooper.  Because: X, Y."  So you are insinuating that I start Decker, Stills, Torrey Smith??  Oh, you aren't?  Let me take one of my four AJ Greens sitting on my bench and start him instead, thanks for the tip.

Edited by ap0calypse