NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, ragrag said:

after rewatching the OAK vs LAC game I had a feeling he was set to go off today.  

but it was listening to the cocky imbecilic CBS fantasy experts talking about must-sit Cooper and Carr when I knew for sure I had to roll them out there.  Gotta fade those morons every time.

Half the time the CBS podcast guys don't even know if their team won or not on Tuesday.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started him-- partly because half my team is on a bye (Watson/Miller/fuller/ameer) but I've been rolling him as a flex / wr2 depending on Baldwin and fullers matchups. He's too talented to have the season he was having and while I feel bad for those who benched him or sold low that's fantasy and if you bought low on him congrats-- you got a wr1 for buttons and didn't have to weather the slow start.

Also the criticism that a player who gets most of his points in a concentrated amount of games is LESS valuable than a guy who produces consistently from week to week is a fallacious one. Value is value is value.  The best player's in the league all go through peaks and valleys / ups and downs over the course of a long season ... they have no control over how their production is dispersed. More often than not, guys who have a track record for being monster target and yardage hogs (Cooper) will eventually get theirs as the games/opportunities accrue. 

This goes for Cooper or any other elite player with a similar track record.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
On 10/15/2017 at 5:13 PM, CrastersCreep said:

This a thousand times over.

Downing is the worst coordinator in football right now. Raiders went from a top 5 offense to a bottom 5 offense literally overnight. The only change being a new coordinator who installed a new scheme basically going away from everything that worked so well for Cooper, Carr, the offense. Instead of Carr operating out of shotgun and taking shots down the field they're running some terrible offense predicted on dump offs, gimmick plays, and short passes. I'm really praying Downing gets the boot asap.

all that being said Cooper looked quite a bit better. He had a big play called back and was getting open at will. He's still an elite route runner and better days should be ahead but at this point I'd be happy with wr3 production.

Notice Carr was operating in the shotgun in 4&5 Wide sets and attacking the ball downfield and it resulted in this.

48 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Also the criticism that a player who gets most of his points in a concentrated amount of games is LESS valuable than a guy who produces consistently from week to week is a fallacious one. Value is value is value.  The best player's in the league all go through peaks and valleys / ups and downs over the course of a long season ... they have no control over how their production is dispersed. More often than not, guys who have a track record for being monster target and yardage hogs (Cooper) will eventually get theirs as the games/opportunities accrue. 

Sorry, I’m not buying what you’re selling.  A consistent player is much more valuable that an inconsistent one.  The reason Antonio Brown is so highly valued is because he rarely looses you weeks (playing head to head).  Julio may put up equal fantasy points (year totals), but in many games he disappears.  Playing Julio will lose you weeks, and if those weeks are in the playoffs your done.  Both are great players, but in fantasy they’re not equal.

Another example: Cooper

He’s lost people so many weeks this year, he’s been permanently benched.  The lucky people had their other WRs on a bye, and played Cooper.  The question is now what?  Is he a must start?  He’s 1 out of 7.  Is he a sell high? Do you have major injuries at RB, and want to trade him for Zeke?

Everyone that owns Cooper has some difficult decisions ahead...

2 hours ago, lolcopter said:

week 17 degenerates, when will they learn?

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Playoffs are weeks 14-16.

Try harder.

2 hours ago, rizon said:

Lol silly. Those defenses could look vastly different by then plus week 17 is irrelevant.

moreover, several of us here just bought him low with the idea he was going to return to form.

no way im selling my new WR3 who just put up the best WR score this season 

Playoffs are week 14 to 17 on nfl.com unless you consider nfl.com isn't big enough to matter

26 minutes ago, Mattmac0912 said:

Every so often the sun shines on a dogs a**...still glad I traded him after week 3 he's been a massive disappointment 

The drops I’ve seen (this year) from Cooper have been incredible.

It’s like some witch turned his hands to stone...

Now he can suddenly catch again?  I have a hard time believing that.  I’d like it much better it there was a reason, like he’s using stickum.

Or, he’s taking something to improve his focus...

A WR having a bad game, and bouncing back is one thing.  But being a dumpster fire for 6 weeks, then putting up that performance...

Most curious.

Obviously you don't expect a performance this massive again going forward, and you can't discount Cooper's garbage performances prior to this, but I think you have to put his whole season into context and build an idea of what to expect going forward.  He struggled early for whatever reason and looked like crap, played against Denver who he usually struggles against, had Manuel throwing to him for a game, then had Carr coming back on a really short recovery timeline where you probably don't expect the offense to click on all cylinders in his first game back.  I have a feeling Cooper and the team have heard murmurs from fans and the media and they felt like they needed to force/shoehorn work him more into the game plan.

And here we are.  It isn't just a matter of Cooper suddenly playing better, but you could see a complete paradigm shift with the offense.  How many deep shots did Carr force to Cooper?  Oakland made it a point to involve him much more than in prior games, and look how they were rewarded.  If you force the ball to most receivers like that you aren't getting the same result.  Cooper still had two pretty bad drops and showed that that issue hasn't gone away, but I'd say the Raiders were generally well rewarded for feeding Cooper.  Even on one deep ball he didn't catch he got his team the yards when Marcus Peters jumped on his back early.  Who knows, maybe Peters did the Raiders a favor by preventing another recorded Cooper drop.

If you want to say it was just one good game where he sucked for all the other ones and this was just lightning in a bottle, then I think you're looking at it wrong.  The team showed confidence in him, and it looks like they have something to build upon now.  Going forward you have to think that a high level of involvement from Cooper is to be expected.  Whether that translates into a consistently high level of production is another thing, but tonight was a display of the skill set and natural talent and athleticism that Cooper brings to the table.  Hopefully tonight's performance will allow him to psychologically separate himself from his earlier games.  It is possible that he goes back to stinky Cooper, but putting everything into perspective I think there's a better chance that tonight's performance is a catalyst for continued success.

6 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Obviously you don't expect a performance this massive again going forward, and you can't discount Cooper's garbage performances prior to this, but I think you have to put his whole career into context and build an idea of what to expect going forward.

fixed.

9 hours ago, NBatum88 said:

Thursday night football, struggling for several weeks, has one of the best corners in the game defending him, hobbled quarterback.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for 100 yards and 2 scores. because fantasy football.

I was actually pretty close on this lol. Just short 100 yards

Pleased to see him perform, hopefully the start of a strong recovery end of season.

Obviously he did it on my bench. No real bye week issues for me, which is moderately annoying, but I can take it with the hope it's a sustained up tick.

The most elucidating play was the catch and run for TD number 2. It screamed out 'get the ball in my hands in space and I will take it home, nobody is catching me in stride.'

If Carr can stay healthy Cooper should be alright. When the QB to WR 1-2 punch work in fantasy it's devastating. 

I will say this next week is gonna be tough @ Buffalo. I'll probably roll with Phillip RIvers instead of Carr vs the defenseless Patriots but Cooper is a must start for me (team in my sig)

4 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I could not disagree more with Cooper thie year. :/