NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, april6e said:

Who would you guys consider strong targets for selling Cooper high?

Yes, I'm aware many of the fanboys in here who are impressed by 2 good games out of the last 14 terrible ones are keeping him but I'm not asking you.

Well April, i think AJ Green would be comparable.

3 minutes ago, kdko said:

You'll never get Green for A. Cooper, nor are they even close to the same level.  In PPR, I could see you pulling away McCaffrey from their owner.  Maybe Hyde?

I think what you meant to say is that YOU will never get aj green for cooper.

Id have gotten it last night in a package deal if i wouldnt have canceled it in time.

Cooper beat AJG's best game of the season last night and if last night is any indication of his useage going forward then a reasonable fantasy footballer would have to consider it.

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I think what you meant to say is that YOU will never get aj green for cooper.

Id have gotten it last night in a package deal if i wouldnt have canceled it in time.

Cooper beat AJG's best game of the season last night and if last night is any indication of his useage going forward then a reasonable fantasy footballer would have to consider it.

No, I mean't you'll, and I don't have time to give grammar lessons. And LOL @ that last part.  Any reasonable fantasy footballer won't be chasing this week's outlier, and instead hang on to the player who can be relied on every week.

How do you guys think I should handle Cooper as a losing team? I'm currently 2-4, and likely to go 2-5 considering I sat coop and my opponent had Hill + Carr (dumb sit I know). You guys think I should try and sell him high? I have solid starters, but other than Shady and my QB's I don't really have any game winners. You guys think Cooper is gunna find some kind of consistency in between his huge games or should I just sell him + someone to try and get a top 8 ish player?

10 hours ago, psygolf said:

Step 1: Find a more productive use of your time.

I budget my time pretty productively my guy. I spend about 5-10 minutes a day on fantasy football. This was my 5 minutes for the day. 

Everyone can ignore this, I'm documenting it for myself, because I know it's going to come up next year.

Week 7 of the 2017 season, when Amari Cooper went 11/210/2, he was unowned in 3% of Yahoo leagues, and benched in 31%.

Amari owner decisions:

League 1: 10 Team, PPR, Benched for Tyrell Williams, Randall Cobb, T.Y Hilton.

League 2: 12 Team, PPR, Played over Martavis Bryant

League 3: 14 Team, .5PPR, Played over JJ Nelson, Taylor Gabriel

League 4: 12 Team, STD, Played over Marqise Lee

9 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Not yet, julii has had more years in the league.

Amari had a back injury the 2nd half of last seazon and derek carr had a broken finger on his throwing hand.

People, including myself, got burned by amari in the playoffs last year, however, that does not make him a bad fantasy asset THIS season. 

There are 2 narratives here:

A. You believe Amari is what he was weeks 2 - 6. Single digit targets per game, less than 50 yards receiving, maybe a chance at a TD.

Or

B. You believe Amari is what he was in weeks 1 and 7. Am absolute stud WR who needs double digit targets weekly due to his versatility and you buy into the 3rd year breakout hype, you know, they hype where people believe he will surpass the 5 TDs he scored in 2016, he has 3 so far.

I believe the "B" narrative.

I dont think it’s simply either A or B. He’s been both so that would present option C. The only option. 

Lets forget about the Tide bias, how talented he is, how physically gifted he is and all the other wonderful intangibles he possesses and look at him from an actual on field production standpoint.

This year thru 7 games this year he’s had 1 good game, 1 killer game and 5 absolute duds. Last year he put up 4 games with 100+ yards with one of them being a killer game (12 catches with 173 and a score). Then he had way more duds (games with 4 or less catches for 50 yards or less ) compared to a decent game (5 catches with 50 yards or more). At the end of the year he  still finished with 1153 and 5 tds. Very good numbers for a highly touted 2nd year player. So this year I can see how people would think alright here’s a guy entering his 3rd year that has all the tools, skills and QB to make it happen and really break out. 

Fact of the matter is he’s a highly volatile player that can boom or bust with the best of them. You can disagree if you want but 39 professional games does NOT suggest otherwise. If past and current production is any indicator of future results (usually true for young players) then he’ll probably still end up finishing the year with around 1000 yards and 6 tds even accounting for the 5 games where he basically did nothing. But expect more frustrating duds moving forward. 

This post is not a knock on Cooper if it comes off that way. I’m just simply pointing out the facts based on actual results. There’s lots of guys that end up with excellent numbers at the end of the year that got there with a few killer games, couple decent ones and a whole lotta duds and you wonder why they can’t have a killer game every week during the process. See Vincent Jackson’s 2012 and 2013 game logs and year end numbers as an example. I think Coop has what it takes to get to 1300 and 10 tds one day but you still won’t like how he got there. 

7 hours ago, ak427 said:

I budget my time pretty productively my guy. I spend about 5-10 minutes a day on fantasy football. This was my 5 minutes for the day. 

With a schedule so regimented, and time so limited, I'm surprised you chose to use any of it complaining about this place/posts.

Think the offensive coordinator figured some things out this week. They moved Cooper around and he produced all over whether it was on the perimeter, in the slot, on crossing routes, etc. Think the overall offensive "awakening" and this performance will raise Cooper's floor from here on in.

That said I think he'll continue to be consistently inconsistent...if that makes sense. The schedule up and downs will not help. BUF next week, a bye week, DEN and NYG with MIA and NE sprinkled in.

His playoff schedule does look sweet though.

I'm just hoping for more of a floor of 10 PPR points every week with a huge upside.

I"m also going to be on the lookout for a sell high opportunity I can't resist. For example, Julio Jones inexplicably busts against the NE D. Cooper + Other Asset for Julio.

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

Think the offensive coordinator figured some things out this week. They moved Cooper around and he produced all over whether it was on the perimeter, in the slot, on crossing routes, etc. Think the overall offensive "awakening" and this performance will raise Cooper's floor from here on in.

That said I think he'll continue to be consistently inconsistent...if that makes sense. The schedule up and downs will not help. BUF next week, a bye week, DEN and NYG with MIA and NE sprinkled in.

His playoff schedule does look sweet though.

I'm just hoping for more of a floor of 10 PPR points every week with a huge upside.

I"m also going to be on the lookout for a sell high opportunity I can't resist. For example, Julio Jones inexplicably busts against the NE D. Cooper + Other Asset for Julio.

Not sure I’d trade cooper for Julio straight up at this point.   But it’s close.  

I always ask myself what the takeaway is-  and it’s once again to be patient with talented, underperforming stars.   Especially when their MVP caliber qb is hurt and they are losing.   

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Not sure I’d trade cooper for Julio straight up at this point.   But it’s close.  

I always ask myself what the takeaway is-  and it’s once again to be patient with talented, underperforming stars.   Especially when their MVP caliber qb is hurt and they are losing.   

Wow. That tells me I have to go for Julio hard if he lays an egg.

I see Cooper's potential as Julio.

Julio, while not scoring a TD, has been fairly consistent. I'll take that consistency with upside at the WR position any day. 

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Yeah wtf, if someone offers you Julio for Coop you take it

Sure about that?  Maybe I need a big Julio game to remind me lol

19/11/218/2 for coop this week.   19 targets!!  And they won.   Could be the start of a monster stretch.   

14 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Lined up 35% in the slot is what's most telling. WR1 ROS.

definitely awesome that they used him more in the slot and won doing so, but WR1? isn't that a tad too aggressive?  I'll take WR10

How many years have we all drafted WR’s high and they came out and fell flat on their face to begin the year, then come on strong to finish the year? My buddy never has patience and ALWAYS trades away his guys when they lay eggs, to watch those players explode on someone else’s roster. EVERY year he does this. 

On on the other hand, you get guys that just never come out of the basement and pop a good game here or there, but mostly look horrible.

What group is Cooper in? I’ll tell you week 16...  It’s fantasy football, and anything can happen. Head coaches and OC’s try to get cute sometimes and try stupid game plans, then refuse to admit it was stupid. Players get in funks and can’t shake them, etc etc...

What Cooper is, is a great route runner and can play with the big boys when he puts his mind to it. He does have a problem with drops, which I hope he cures, but I feel his biggest problem was the play calling/game plan. Maybe the coaches learned something from this game and go forward with that? Maybe they try to get cute and try runnng the ball 30-40 Times or throw to Crabtree all game instead. No one knows until next week. 

I had Cooper last year and told myself NOT to draft him... he “fell” to me in the 4th, so I felt obligated to put him back on my roster... I can only hope he plays well the rest of the year. In my PPR TD heavy league, all I can hope is he has a floor of 14 or so the rest of the year and pop some 20+ games for me along the way.