NBC Sports Edge Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

21 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Not trolling here, but can we really bank on 1 game when the previous 4 were complete duds? i get that you're optimistic and rightfully so, but we can't put all our eggs into one game can we?

I think he'll be fine going forward ad a top 15-20 WR. OAK I think will continue sharing the passes and he'll have his big games and his lower games. I just hope the duds are over. He is too talented for those.

I think if this is the new way oakland is going to run their offense, which they should...than yes we can expect somewhat similar numbers. I wouldnt expect 19 targets but 10-13 is reasonable especially with him in the slot he looked unstoppable.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I just play, man,'' Cooper said Wednesday. ''You try to play good every week. If it doesn't happen I just move on. If I do play good, I just move on.''

While Cooper maintained that the lack of production after recording just nine catches for 51 yards during a four-game losing streak didn't leave him frustrated, it must have come as some sort of relief for the Raiders (3-4) when he finally broke out in the 31-30 win over the Chiefs last Thursday night that might have saved Oakland's season.

Cooper caught a 38-yard TD pass off a flea-flicker to cap Oakland's opening drive. He added a 45-yarder for a touchdown later in the first when he caught a pass in the secondary and outraced the defenders to the end zone, becoming the first Raiders player with two TD catches in the first quarter since Mervyn Fernandez in 1989.

He didn't slow down from there, adding a key 39-yard catch to get the Raiders out of a hole on their game-winning drive as he ended up with the second-most receiving yards in a game in Raiders history and won the AFC Player of the Week award.

''He got back to being himself,'' coach Jack Del Rio said. ''I thought we did a good job of getting him incorporated, which I'd like to see continue.''

The Raiders did that in part by moving Cooper around the formation more than usual. He spent much of the game in the slot, where he lined up on six of his catches - more than double his previous high in one game from the slot.

That helped keep Cooper away from Kansas City cornerback Marcus Peters and helped dictate some favorable matchups for quarterback Derek Carr to exploit. Carr ended up targeting Cooper 19 times for the game.

''It's just helped us when we move him inside,'' Carr said. ''He can do certain things and then when we move him back outside, you see the structure looks different. How do they want to play him, whether they're funneling him. What do they want to do? Just playing that game with him really helps our offense.''

Carr said the Raiders are able to do that because of Cooper's intelligence and study habits. Carr compared Cooper's ability to know all the different receiving positions inside and out to LeBron James' ability to move from forward to point guard on the basketball court.

Cooper called that comparison a bit of ''hyperbole,'' but acknowledged the advantages he gains from moving around.

''The benefit I see is you go up against different players throughout the game,'' he said. ''If you're constantly on one side, then you keep going against the same player. A smart player will learn your moves. If you're going against all three guys you can use the same moves because the guys haven't seen it yet.''

Bills CB E.J. Gaines (hamstring) is out for Week 8 against the Raiders.

Gaines has seemingly been hurt most of the year but has been able to play through most nagging issues. It's a big loss for Buffalo's top-end pass defense. Gaines has yet to allow a touchdown, and quarterbacks have a 50.5 passer rating throwing into his coverage. Shareece Wright will see more snaps. It's a massive upgrade to Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, and Derek Carr.
51 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Bills CB E.J. Gaines (hamstring) is out for Week 8 against the Raiders.

Gaines has seemingly been hurt most of the year but has been able to play through most nagging issues. It's a big loss for Buffalo's top-end pass defense. Gaines has yet to allow a touchdown, and quarterbacks have a 50.5 passer rating throwing into his coverage. Shareece Wright will see more snaps. It's a massive upgrade to Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, and Derek Carr.

Oh snap! 45 points here we come!

1 hour ago, ak427 said:

I'm not a coach, but if I could talk to Todd Downing, I'd want to understand why it's so difficult for him to find ways to get the ball in the hands of his best player.

Michael Crabtree has the ball in his hands a lot.

20 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Raiders are trash. 

Agreed, it started with the oline kneeling BS, and had spread like the Zika virus. They're not a team, they're 53 individuals.  The coaching staff needs to be fired post haste.

I’m a huge Raider fan and I’ve provided analysis every week regarding Amari and the state of the Raiders, those who check in here regularly will recall.

obviously disappointed in his performance. Time to state the obvious - the offense is struggling, the play calling is atrocious, Downing is amongst the worst OCs in the league, something isn’t right with Carr - to me looks like s confidence issue mixed with health (back still bothering him maybe) but he looks gunshy and hesitant - nothing like the pro bowl QB he had been the past two years.

Amari is still running good routes and getting open, mostly at will believe it or not. His hands have been bad and outside of last week he’s been a major bust. He will have some good games in the second half of the season and at the very least he’ll reward those who bought him for .25 on the dollar. Unfortunately he won’t be able to make amends for those who invested high draft picks or spent a lot in auctions.

it’s been mentioned before but he has the floor of a WR3 ( a volatile one at that) that will have some WR1 weeks mixed in. He still scored almost 10 points in PPR (not bad)), and he has a good schedule outside of one match up with Denver. 

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Raiders miss the playoffs but hey, at least michael crabtree caught some balls.

It's almost like beating the Chiefs, having their best offensive game of the season, and Cooper being the primary focus of the offense had no correlation whatsoever...

2 hours ago, ak427 said:

It's almost like beating the Chiefs, having their best offensive game of the season, and Cooper being the primary focus of the offense had no correlation whatsoever...

The loss to Buffalo was mostly on Carr.

i also think the rookie corner on buffalo is playing great football.

people also take for granted how tough a spot it is for a west Cody team playing on the east coast vs a good team.

4 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

people also take for granted how tough a spot it is for a west Cody team playing on the east coast vs a good team.

The Raiders are professionals correct?  That excuse flies better for college football and student athletes.

13 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

The loss to Buffalo was mostly on Carr.

i also think the rookie corner on buffalo is playing great football.

The Raiders hated the weather here yesterday as well. It was easily observable all day long and played a HUGE factor in the game.

Seems to be a pretty decent matchup here. Is anyone giving Cooper one more shot? I picked up Sterling Shepard and i have no clue what to do. I'll probably go with Shepard though.

Cooper for me has been like when you and your GF break up twice a week but you always take her back for some damn reason thinking she'll change, but it's always the same old crap lol

Edited by WVFalcon
23 minutes ago, WVFalcon said:

Seems to be a pretty decent matchup here. Is anyone giving Cooper one more shot? I picked up Sterling Shepard and i have no clue what to do. I'll probably go with Shepard though.

Cooper for me has been like when you and your GF break up twice a week but you always take her back for some damn reason thinking she'll change, but it's always the same old crap lol

Despite the lows we've had I still feel like Cooper has been somewhat awakened and the Raiders at least have a recent body of evidence for why getting him involved is in their best interest, especially if it's as the hut of Craster says with Amari running good routes and getting open.  Call me crazy, and it's possible that Shepard does better, but it's almost inconceivable to consider him over Cooper for me.  I hope think Cooper's week to week floor is going to be higher going forward, and his W2W ceiling is still that of a top WR1, and I don't think he and Shepard are close as fantasy assets, despite the Giants desperate WR situation.  As we see with many teams around the league, being the top (almost only) receiver doesn't mean you're automatically going to be productive.

Edited by CharlesCC2

I'm not sure what .25 on a dollar or nonsensical buying low on amari. His owner just offered me an unsolicited offer of the amari "40 pts on bench" cooper for my aj green... arguing it will help my team.

33 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Probably why the raiders lose more often than not.

Catching and holding on to the ball is the way to win. Aka touchdowns

1 hour ago, WVFalcon said:

One more shot? I'm riding him to the grave