NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Amari Cooper 2017 Season Outlook

Didn’t watch the game but RW makes it seems like he was the worst player on the field. They tend to deal in hyperbole so I’d be interested to know what others thought.

i traded Keenan Allen and Baltimore’s D for him last week because he was getting a lot of targets and has a sweet schedule down the stretch, but definitely look like a damn fool right now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

Didn’t watch the game but RW makes it seems like he was the worst player on the field. They tend to deal in hyperbole so I’d be interested to know what others thought.

i traded Keenan Allen and Baltimore’s D for him last week because he was getting a lot of targets and has a sweet schedule down the stretch, but definitely look like a damn fool right now.

Ouch.

4 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

Ouch.

Yikes. I was given sarcastic remarks for trading away Cooper for Jeffery right before Cooper had his blowup game. Things can change so don’t beat yourself up. Kennan Allen was trending down before he blew up. But just know with Cooper, you will not be getting consistency.

Edited by hangin n wangin

There's no such thing as "consistent" at WR ... we are dealing with way too tiny of a sample size which is why productivity varies so widely from week to week. This isn't an Amari Cooper issue, or a Keenan Allen issue, this is a position-issue.

The super elite WRs (there are maybe 2 or 3 of them) get targeted enough where they can make a consistent impact, but even they are prone to weeks of single digit performances balanced by multiple TD breakout games.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

I watched the game.

The TD was a nifty play. He made a nice move to get to the pylon.

Still, I don't recall him getting too many targets. And this despite the fact that Gilmore was going after Crabtree more so.

Don't get it. It's like he's the #3 or #4 option.

And now faces Denver.

It seems like he's still getting decent targets at 7 yesterday and 9 the week before(averaging over 8 a game on the season), but his catch percentage is at 48.8% on the season, and that's pretty poor. despite his athleticism, I just don't think he's played WR very well for the most part this season.

7 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Seemed like most of the balls thrown at Cooper were awful passes. Like Cooper has been underwhelming, but Carr is certainly partially to blame. I hope I'm not the only one with that takeaway after watching the game yesterday

Ever since the Chiefs game they are back to the same old run a deep route with Cooper instead of moving him all over the field to create mismatches. Bad coaching to blame as well.

21 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Seemed like most of the balls thrown at Cooper were awful passes. Like Cooper has been underwhelming, but Carr is certainly partially to blame. I hope I'm not the only one with that takeaway after watching the game yesterday

Just rewatched the game, yeah, a ton of ugly throws from Carr to everyone, including Cooper.  That Roberts fumble inside the 5 in the 1st half really took a lot of the life out of the offense.  

Cooper has some good matchups in w 13/14/15 but gonna have to ride the pine vs DEN this weekend.  

2 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

There's no such thing as "consistent" at WR ... we are dealing with way too tiny of a sample size which is why productivity varies so widely from week to week. This isn't an Amari Cooper issue, or a Keenan Allen issue, this is a position-issue.

The super elite WRs (there are maybe 2 or 3 of them) get targeted enough where they can make a consistent impact, but even they are prone to weeks of single digit performances balanced by multiple TD breakout games.

You’re right, WR has been pretty inconsistent so far this year. But Cooper and that offense have been turd waffles.

17 hours ago, ragrag said:

Just rewatched the game, yeah, a ton of ugly throws from Carr to everyone, including Cooper.  That Roberts fumble inside the 5 in the 1st half really took a lot of the life out of the offense.  

Cooper has some good matchups in w 13/14/15 but gonna have to ride the pine vs DEN this weekend.  

Absolutely starting him vs Denver.  

The vaunted No Fly Zone has been a shell of their reputation this season.    Denver has been more effective stopping the run than pass.  Now there’s finger pointing and coaches being fired- it’s a mess. 

Even just looking at the last few weeks wr1s have been serviceable at minimum against them.   

Jeffery/Cooks/AJG scored or put up decent numbers.  Not expecting a huge game but not scared of Denver anymore.  

19 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

What isn't there to get ? 

TDs are random/fluky as hell ... as long as the targets and yards are there ... the TDs will follow. He'll finish with 1000+ yards and 140+ targets.

Dude has been total garbage. How can you be so confident? He legitimately had 3 games in a row where he had single digit yardage

4 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Dude has been total garbage. How can you be so confident? He legitimately had 3 games in a row where he had single digit yardage

It’s a big deal that he managed to score in a game they were just awful in.    Carr was really REALLY bad.     That’s the kind of floor we want to see from Amari.  

20 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

19 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

What isn't there to get ? 

TDs are random/fluky as hell ... as long as the targets and yards are there ... the TDs will follow. He'll finish with 1000+ yards and 140+ targets.

You're way off base... it IS an Amari Cooper issue.

And the issue is that he sucks. Not getting open so not getting targets, not getting the yardage, lack of TD's, drops half the balls thrown to him, etc

17 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

It’s a big deal that he managed to score in a game they were just awful in.    Carr was really REALLY bad.     That’s the kind of floor we want to see from Amari.  

Scoring garbage time touchdowns isn't impressive. It isn't a "good sign" for a player. It just means his team is bad enough that the other team lets them basically score pity points to run out the clock. 

Cooper has regressed hard since last year, but the same can be said for the entire Oakland offense.

20 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

He is consistent. He's consistently s---.

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Absolutely starting him vs Denver.  

The vaunted No Fly Zone has been a shell of their reputation this season.    Denver has been more effective stopping the run than pass.  Now there’s finger pointing and coaches being fired- it’s a mess. 

Even just looking at the last few weeks wr1s have been serviceable at minimum against them.   

Jeffery/Cooks/AJG scored or put up decent numbers.  Not expecting a huge game but not scared of Denver anymore.  

You just named three top ten receivers in fantasy. Cooper isn’t close to them.

25 minutes ago, WVFalcon said:

I agree, I don't think you want to start Cooper this week. I'm probably starting Demarco Murray over him because of the sweet matchup.

Thats a reasonable decision, Murray’s a decent bet anyweek he’s healthy.    

Guys the point is that Denver isn’t locking people down.   They are getting lit up at a historic pace recently.   Sad to say it as a Broncos homer but the only thing they are doing well is run defense.    And with all the terrible turnovers by the offense and special teams, there will be ample opportunities in the RZ for easy points.  

I’m not gonna bench a guy like say...Diggs for Coop...but I wouldn’t start Cory Davis over him either.