NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 General Draft Strategies

13 minutes ago, GueroG said:

"You draft in June? Not many leagues do that, praying your top picks don't get hurt in camp. One thing I might do though is NOT draft a K or D/ST and use those last picks for sleepers. If say Smallwood Marlon Mack or Jamaal Williams are available take a flier, pick up your K and D/ST right before your first game."

Agree on Mack, but Jamaal who? e; Why would you mention him, huh? You & Bolt, yeah, .... triangulating against me, is that it!? I'm on to you, on to you both! e;

giphy.gif

Just kidding man... But I was thinking more along the lines of a Joe Williams (SF). Don't get me wrong, I love Carlos Hyde but you never know, he could get dinged a bit, just enough to miss the opener or a couple.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, markrc99 said:

Agree on Mack, but Jamaal who? e; Why would you mention him, huh? You & Bolt, yeah, .... triangulating against me, is that it!? I'm on to you, on to you both! e;

giphy.gif

Just kidding man... But I was thinking more along the lines of a Joe Williams (SF). Don't get me wrong, I love Carlos Hyde but you never know, he could get dinged a bit, just enough to miss the opener or a couple.

you're right, Hyde missing games almost a given

34 minutes ago, GueroG said:

you draft in June? Not many leagues do that, praying your top picks don't get hurt in camp. One thing I might do though is NOT draft a K or D/ST and use those last picks for sleepers. If say Smallwood, Marlon Mack or Jamaal Williams are available take a flier, pick up your K and D/ST right before your first game

Best time to draft. You can get studs at depressed ADP. Zeke was going 2nd rd in June high-stakes drafts last year; Bell in some of those drafts was going 3rd rd. You get enough studs and you can survive the (highly unlikely) training camp injury. 

Ignore kicker at your own risk -- just don't claim "bad luck" when you lose games by less than 5 points because Justin Tucker out scored your streaming kicker 13-6. 

34 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

"Best time to draft. You can get studs at depressed ADP. Zeke was going 2nd rd in June high-stakes drafts last year; Bell in some of those drafts was going 3rd rd. You get enough studs and you can survive the (highly unlikely) training camp injury. Ignore kicker at your own risk -- just don't claim "bad luck" when you lose games by less than 5 points because Justin Tucker out scored your streaming kicker 13-6." 

So, take a kicker or no surplusing altogether? I really like what the Redskins have done, they've added. Dustin Hopkins couldn't be had after most drafts? Okay so, perhaps "instant challenger" to Rob Kelley, Samaje Perine? I have to assume that this LM I'm up against understands what you do. Even if I identify some of these players, how do I determine when to pull the trigger? 

EDIT: I've determined a bit of strategy, in part. Not to assume the 10 others understand less than I do, I'm sure they don't, but since I can't monitor them all anyway, I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on who the LM takes and may look to take. 

Edited by markrc99

Do NOT go WR/WR. I do not care what pick you are. Having a top 3 pick and going RB/RB would be preferred.

The RBs after the second round are an absolute and utter s--- storm. You can grab some really solid WRs later on though. You may think you are avoiding all those "bust and injury prone RBs" by taking A.J Green and Jordy Nelson but the joke will be on you when your RB1 is Crowell and RB2 is Eddie Lacy.

2 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

@Lord_Varys What is this 15-1 approach? 

@FFCollusion can explain its much better, but here is my understanding. 

Start from round 15 and work back to round 1, if your strategy is to use ADPs to project who you are planning to draft. Contrast that with  "Best Player Available" as a strategy which says to take BPA with generally little focus on your positional needs. 

Here's an example of how it might work.  If you do several mocks and find yourself always taking Cobb-Snead in rounds 7-8 (and, you're happy with this value), take that knowledge and work back into your WR3/Flex decision making in earlier rounds. So while you may feel Moncrief is the best player available in round 5, you can take AP here because you know you'll get that WR3 later. 

This becomes helpful when you see yourself drafting a lot of one position in a few rounds of the draft. Another example is that last year someone might have said I love the RBs available I rounds 5-7, I think Murray, Gordon, and Blount are way undervalued... That would inform their decision making when they're staring at Hyde or Hilton in the third round. 

Like any other strategy it helps a lot if you correctly pick who the undervalued players are. Not a silver bullet. But in general it's just about realizing that how the draft will go in later rounds should impact the decisions you make in earlier rounds. 

Recommend visiting the 2016 draft strategies thread for FFC's full write up if you are interested in learning more. The strategy can burn, though, if you get sniped or if you pick the wrong guys. 

6 hours ago, markrc99 said:

A vague strategy, meaning, don't get too locked into anything, RB or WR. I get that. But here's a second curveball, of sorts; we draft in the middle of June. Shouldn't that alter my strategy some? Would it be to my advantage to forego a backup QB & TE, a DEF & a Kicker? Load up on RB & WR in the event of injury? The other thing, do these types of leagues tend to have an active wire between the draft date and throughout the preseason? I'm pretty sure, I'm going to lose to this guy, but I figure, I can learn a lot from him.     

I would be more mad at drafting in June than having a random order. I wouldn't draft a kicker or defense unless I have to. In fact, I usually draft a kicker not even on a team in the last round then drop him for the guy I would've taken. And I rarely use a backup QB or TE. If worked out correctly, I have a bench spot that rotates my bye week kicker, defense, QB and TE. 

As far as the activity of the league, it is determined by the members and settings. 

9 minutes ago, ajlynema said:

"I would be more mad at drafting in June than having a random order. I wouldn't draft a kicker or defense unless I have to. In fact, I usually draft a kicker not even on a team in the last round then drop him for the guy I would've taken. And I rarely use a backup QB or TE. If worked out correctly, I have a bench spot that rotates my bye week kicker, defense, QB and TE.  As far as the activity of the league, it is determined by the members and settings." 

I know it, and said as much. But others, who have been at this a long time just keep identifying with this.... criminal LM! e; What of Joshua's comment, saying that you can land big production at a favorable adp? Doesn't take a genius to know who some of these prospects are, but when is what I'm grappling with. i'm in real send money mood... e;   

4 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Do NOT go WR/WR. I do not care what pick you are. Having a top 3 pick and going RB/RB would be preferred.

The RBs after the second round are an absolute and utter s--- storm. You can grab some really solid WRs later on though. You may think you are avoiding all those "bust and injury prone RBs" by taking A.J Green and Jordy Nelson but the joke will be on you when your RB1 is Crowell and RB2 is Eddie Lacy.

Isn't this said every year? Yet, the bust rate for the top 12 RBs drafted is around 40-50% every year. Meaning every year those guys you draft in the top 2, or maybe 3 rounds at rb are busting basically half the time. That's a coin flip, I don't like those odds. I'm sure in some years it's the same with WR's (last year) but it's typically less than RBs year to year.

All I'm saying is just because RB is perceived to be and "utter s--- storm" doesn't mean it's going to end up like that. Every year we see RBs coming out of nowhere to produce solid or spectacular years. To be honest you don't even need to have to find the "diamond in the rough" that produces that kind of year, all you really need is to find RBs that can work any given week. It's not as hard as most in here make it sound.

I believe in letting the board to come to you, don't force it, not necessarily what position to pick in what round. But to be honest unless I'm getting a top 3 RB, or everyone went WR in round 1 (say if I'm at the turn picks) then I'm most likely taking a WR early on. It's proven to be safer year after year.

Either way, there's no specific way to draft, there's no absolutes.

Edited by Shake
1 hour ago, Shake said:

I believe in letting the board to come to you, don't force it, not necessarily what position to pick in what round. But to be honest unless I'm getting a top 3 RB, or everyone went WR in round 1 (say if I'm at the turn picks) then I'm most likely taking a WR early on. It's proven to be safer year after year.

Either way, there's no specific way to draft, there's no absolutes.

I say it every year. If you go in with the most research and least planning, you usually win your draft. People get so into you need to do this or that and they forget about other strategies. If everyone is waiting on a QB, grab that one early. I got cheap QBs last year. Or everyone was stuck on zero RB where I ended up going RB-RB. I think the the person that goes in with planning out the draft the least, has the best chance.

3 hours ago, markrc99 said:

Doesn't take a genius to know who some of these prospects are, but when is what I'm grappling with. i'm in real send money mood...

When is an impossible question, because all it takes is 1 person who wants them more, to ruin it for you, and you'll never know when they plan to take them.

15-1 in the simplest terms, is knowing who your sleepers are, and allowing your draft goals in rounds 8-14 dictate your draft plans in rounds 1-4.

I formulated this theory, based on the pretense that I have stronger opinions on players in the later rounds, than I do in the early rounds.  Knowing that, it seemed completely backwards to me, to use the early rounds, to determine my draft plans, rather than the other way around.

This became more and more apparent when I kept hearing the arbitrary advice of 'Best Player Available', and challenging people to quantify the term.  When no one had an answer I deemed acceptable, I began trying to quantify it for myself.

If you think BPA is a good draft strategy than I pose a very simple question.  Who is the better player between M.Gordon and A.J. Green, and why?

Same question; D.Freeman and Mike Evans, why?

The issue, is that in terms of draft strategy, no one can seem to answer this question without discussing what the alternate options are later in the draft... and so we come full circle.  If the talent of the players, across positions, in the first 1-2, maybe 3 rounds, are negligible, why should we really care which position we get?  Again, the answer is because of the talent drop off later in the round.  Positional scarcity.  Value of replacement.  Etc, and so on, but it always comes back to the talent pool of the draft.

So instead of taking the 'BPA' in the first 2-3 rounds, and then adapting the rest of my draft to those players... I prefer to do the exact opposite.  Based on what's available, what I like, and who I expect to get later in the draft, I'll use that knowledge and adapt my strategy in the first 3 rounds, to round out my team.

Any strategy can be successful if you pick the right players.

Any strategy can fail if you pick the wrong players.

Positions don't matter, players don't matter, points are all that matter.

15-1 is just another tool I use to try and follow the most likely outcome.  That doesn't mean you can predict what will happen, it doesn't mean you'll always get every player you plan on, and missing a few targets, doesn't thwart the entire plan.

The early I draft, the more risk I tend to avoid... which is funny because everyone knows how much I avoid it as is.:P

The more unknowns, the more potential problems you'll occur over the next 8 months when compared to just trying to account for the 4 month fantasy season.  If you're going to own the player twice as long, their risks are now double in my opinion.

Find the ADP/Rankings of the site you're going to draft on.

Find the players you like this year, and circle them in the rounds you'd gladly draft them in.

Do this all the way down the board.  Now tell me, in the 8-14th round, how many WRs are there?  How many RBs are there?

If you have an overwhelming amount of WRs circled... you're probably going to want to focus on RB in the early rounds.

If you have an overwhelming amount of RBs circled... you're probably going to want to focus on WR in the early rounds.

If you have an even amount of WR/RBs circled... you can consider investing early in TE, QB, or both.

I'll dig a bit deeper into this later on in the season, once ADPs settle down a bit, and I can do it with some visuals.  Best of luck for the time being.
P.S. Random draft order 30 min before the draft, is extremely common in online leagues with random people, at least in my experience.

9 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

"When is an impossible question, because all it takes is 1 person who wants them more, to ruin it for you, and you'll never know when they plan to take them. 15-1 in the simplest terms, is knowing who your sleepers are, and allowing your draft goals in rounds 8-14 dictate your draft plans in rounds 1-4.

I formulated this theory, based on the pretense that I have stronger opinions on players in the later rounds, than I do in the early rounds. Knowing that, it seemed completely backwards to me, to use the early rounds, to determine my draft plans, rather than the other way around. ... The [earlier] I draft, the more risk I tend to [assume]... which is funny because everyone knows how much I avoid it as is.:P The more unknowns, the more potential problems you'll occur over the next 8 months when compared to just trying to account for the 4 month fantasy season.  If you're going to own the player twice as long, their risks are now double in my opinion.

Find the ADP/Rankings of the site you're going to draft on.

Find the players you like this year, and circle them in the rounds you'd gladly draft them in.

Do this all the way down the board.  Now tell me, in the 8-14th round, how many WRs are there?  How many RBs are there?

If you have an overwhelming amount of WRs circled... you're probably going to want to focus on RB in the early rounds.

If you have an overwhelming amount of RBs circled... you're probably going to want to focus on WR in the early rounds.

If you have an even amount of WR/RBs circled... you can consider investing early in TE, QB, or both."

I do remember, from last year, the 15-to-1 draft strategy, although I didn't have a chance to take advantage of it. However, I will be using it against this,  ... this "ringer" I'm up against! e; It'll be utilized within an overriding approach that I'll probably never abandon. This is something I fell into my first year ('15) but found to be consistent after studying a lot of different teams at nfl.com. During the season, at their fantasy homepage, every week they list the top scoring teams across their entire site. Their managed leagues are simply numbered, into the hundreds of thousands, so millions of us play there. 

Owners or even guests can click on a link and take a look at the top 50 teams, scoring-wise. I wanted to know what those rosters looked like! What was consistent, which is something I've said before, was that the players they took off the top, by & large, all panned out. But beyond that is what's important. Those teams were also littered with these "sleepers" you make note of. These fantasy owners don't get sucked into drafting weak leads, committee or down-&-distance RBs or third & fourth WRs in good offenses. Or perhaps more correctly, the ones with production that's known to be capped.

The main point is that when I reviewed those rosters, what was clear is that these owners targeted & hit on breakout candidates. Hitting big in the later rounds was the second key characteristic. Something I didn't consider is when these leagues conducted their drafts, but I suspect any number of them were also aware of what Joshua mentioned, adps sure to inflate throughout the preseason. So that's likely a third characteristic that separates championship or very high scoring teams from winning teams. 

With the feedback I've gained here, I'm more willing to draft a kicker & a DEF for this June draft. My plan is still to take a starting QB & TE, with the remaining 13 roster spots reserved for RB & WR.This how I beat this guy, this guy named Jon. He's an experienced & very attentive LM, he's answered all our questions.

1.) List players to draft, all throughout, mock at nfl.com to place a round or range on any number them.

2.) Identify players whose adp will inflate throughout the summer & be willing to take them a bit earlier.

3.) Determine which players off the top will pan out.

4.)  Identify breakout candidates & weigh them against other seemingly undervalued choices.     

If I meet all four objectives, are my chances excellent? Rounds 8 to 14, the first guy off the top of head is Kennth Dixon. What do you guys think?   

With all of the rb uncertainty I think the new critical round has been pushed down to  who do u pick after rd3. One used to be able to draft to rd7 without a hitch and then find the high upside value players  but i think the landmines are front loaded  in the early rds this year.  Away from DJ-Bell-zeke can u really trust ur rb1-2 this year or do u have more confidence in ur rb3-4?

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

With all of the rb uncertainty I think the new critical round has been pushed down to  who do u pick after rd3. One used to be able to draft to rd7 without a hitch and then find the high upside value players  but i think the landmines are front loaded  in the early rds this year.  Away from DJ-Bell-zeke can u really trust ur rb1-2 this year or do u have more confidence in ur rb3-4?

It goes deeper than that...but have always been more landmines with rbs.  It's the nature of the position.   But the reward (particularly in standard) is a huge advantage in total points scored as well as consistency week to week.   

Not taking a swing at a couple elite rbs will put you at a disadvantage anytime you face them.   What's the difference between finishing 4th and 10th?   Not a whole lot really. 

Edited by Impreza178
4 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

It goes deeper than that...but have always been more landmines with rbs.  It's the nature of the position.   But the reward (particularly in standard) is a huge advantage in total points scored as well as consistency week to week.   

Not taking a swing at a couple elite rbs will put you at a disadvantage anytime you face them.   What's the difference between finishing 4th and 10th?   Not a whole lot really. 

It'll put you at a disadvantage if those elite RBS pan out, which 40-50% of the time, they don't. Just because you draft an elite RB come draft time, doesn't mean they end up that way during the season. 

Also you don't play these teams with elite RBs every week either, and it's not like there's a slew of elite RBS, there's what 3-4 any given year? Maybe? 

What's the difference between 4th and 10th? Respectability.

10th place is the bottom of the league and in the consolation playoffs, likely never had a chance from the start. It's tear everything down for the next year and start over.

4th place is in the semi finals, 1 game away from the championship game. Means you almost got to your goal, there's something to build upon for next year potentially.

To me, I'd say that's a major difference. Maybe people don't see it as a major difference because it's easier not to care or not to see a difference, when they never had a chance to win anyways?

Edited by Shake
34 minutes ago, Shake said:

It'll put you at a disadvantage if those elite RBS pan out, which 40-50% of the time, they don't. Just because you draft an elite RB come draft time, doesn't mean they end up that way during the season. 

Also you don't play these teams with elite RBs every week either, and it's not like there's a slew of elite RBS, there's what 3-4 any given year? Maybe? 

What's the difference between 4th and 10th? Respectability.

10th place is the bottom of the league and in the consolation playoffs, likely never had a chance from the start. It's tear everything down for the next year and start over.

4th place is in the semi finals, 1 game away from the championship game. Means you almost got to your goal, there's something to build upon for next year potentially.

To me, I'd say that's a major difference. Maybe people don't see it as a major difference because it's easier not to care or not to see a difference, when they never had a chance to win anyways?

Its not a major difference if you care about payouts.   The point being-  to land one of the top 6-8 rbs who will outscore EVERY(or almost every) wr in standard-  you have to pick a few of them early.   

You may whiff and end up last-  but I will take that gamble over the "safe" WRs who won't give u the top end punch or consistency of those rbs.   

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Its not a major difference if you care about payouts.   The point being-  to land one of the top 6-8 rbs who will outscore EVERY(or almost every) wr in standard-  you have to pick a few of them early.   

You may whiff and end up last-  but I will take that gamble over the "safe" WRs who won't give u the top end punch or consistency of those rbs.   

I prefer adopting a modified version of zero rb depending on where i pick in redraft leagues. works out much better for me over course of a season. I find it easier to replace an injured rb with a fantasy relevant cuff or next man up waiver pick  than a stud wr. 

30 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I guess I care about more than payouts I suppose. Of course the ultimate goal is winning the championship and that's the number 1 priority but beyond that my other goal is to be a contender every year, not just some years. You have to make the playoffs before you can win the championship, you can't do that if you're in 10th place.

Everyone is entitled to their own way of drafting and playing, that's fine, but no way am I going to justify whiffing and missing like that. I can't justify 10th place over 4th, like "oh well no big deal, I'm just at the bottom of the league". When you go in to the draft and pick a RB in round 1 and 2 you are going in knowing there's a 40-50% chance that you just whiffed and missed, that's a proven fact. So to me that's justifying a bad decision (coin flip says it's likely) by saying, "I took a risk and it didn't pay off". I mean if you went sky diving and they told you "40-50% of our parachutes are going to fail massively", are you still jumping out of the plane? Maybe some people will, and it might pan out, but it doesn't mean it was a smart decision.

Same thing applies with taking RBs early. I'll take safety in round 1 and 2 over upside all day long, there's many things I can do during the season to help myself with that "top end punch" I potentially lack because I don't have the pre draft elite RB, one of which is perhaps find the next big thing at RB. The guy that comes out of no where, I mean where was David Johnson drafted during his rookie year? Ray Rice in 2009, Arian Foster in 2010, Peyton Hillis in 2011, Doug Martin/Alfred Morris/CJ Spiller in 2012, Knowshon Moreno in 2013, Justin Forsett/Jeremy Hill in 2014, Deangelo Williams/Chris Ivory in 2015, L. Blount/D. Murray/J. Howard/M. Gordon in 2016. It wasn't in round 1 or 2.

I just used a few examples per year here, but I could have found more if I really cared to do so, and that's not talking in to account just streaming the position which also works. I'm sure you could do the exact same for WR as well, but facts are facts you have more of a chance of missing taking a RB than WR in round 1 and 2, and perhaps you have more of a chance of hitting at RB than WR in round 1 and 2 as far as getting more points is concerned, but my concern is making the playoffs so that I have a chance of winning the championship, I can't do that as well, perhaps not at all, if I'm whiffing and missing on my early round picks. That's why 4th place and 10th place to me is a drastic difference.

But as I always say, there's no absolutes in this, any strategy can work, I just like my odds better when I don't take a RB early.

Edited by Shake
10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

anectodal preferences aside-  here are the most common players on championship teams last season.  

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000769029

hint:   Top 5 are all rbs 

Flip side to that coin.

Im curious to know the average finishing position of the owners who drafted the other 1st round RBs that didn't work out. Guys like AP. A total wasted pick, and it happens with about 40% of those 1st round RBs. 

When you take a RB in the first round you're either one huge step ahead of the rest, or buried with little hope for a championship. 

8 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Flip side to that coin.

Im curious to know the average finishing position of the owners who drafted the other 1st round RBs that didn't work out. Guys like AP. A total wasted pick, and it happens with about 40% of those 1st round RBs. 

When you take a RB in the first round you're either one huge step ahead of the rest, or buried with little hope for a championship. 

Not always true either.  In the forum league I drafted AP first and McCoy second.    Finished 2nd in the league.   U just need to hit on 1 of the first 2.   Add another top 10 guy and you are practically a shoe-in.  

Thats the beauty of a position that outscores the other major one (wr).  

if u DONT have a top rb ur lost in mediocrity barring a beautiful late round play like Howard.  

Edited by Impreza178
31 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

anectodal preferences aside-  here are the most common players on championship teams last season.  

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000769029

hint:   Top 5 are all rbs 

no disagreement however 2 of those 5 were not 1st rd picks and bell was suspended for 3 games so u had to use a pick to fill that slot for 3 games and hope u won ur 1st 3 weeks. hint i was the guy who took dangelo and the bell owner in my league couldnt rebound from those 3 games he lost. 

on that list howard-blount were ridiculous values where they were drafted well after 3rd round. howard was a waiver wire scoop in alot of leagues

Edited by dashoe
15 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

if u DONT have a top rb ur lost in mediocrity barring a beautiful late round play like Howard.  

So basically pick a rb, no matter what, because otherwise you have no chance?

Meanwhile also saying unless you get a late round/waiver wire gem that helps you close the gap?

You might probably notice alot of the time the guys with the late round/waiver wire gems at RB tend to typically be the guys who didn't draft RBs in the top 2 rounds. Not always of course but typically they're the guys that know they need help at RB, so they load up on the high upside backups/hand cuffs late in the draft. That doesn't happen by accident.

Edited by Shake
10 minutes ago, Shake said:

So basically pick a rb, no matter what, because otherwise you have no chance?

Meanwhile also saying unless you get a late round/waiver wire gem that helps you close the gap?

You might probably notice alot of the time the guys with the late round/waiver wire gems at RB tend to typically be the guys who didn't draft RBs in the top 2 rounds. Not always of course but typically they're the guys that know they need help at RB, so they load up on the high upside backups/hand cuffs late in the draft. That doesn't happen by accident.

In standard-  yes!  Most of the time unless you are in a spot where u cant pass up an AB for Murray.   The advantage in pts is that big and nothing is more valuable.  

Everyone is trying to snag that golden late round rb1.   For cuffs and zero rb players. WRs can be much more easily cycled with minimal need for expending high waiver picks.   

There are other ways to victory, of course, but it's no accident the top players on championship teams are rbs.  

9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

In standard-  yes!  Most of the time unless you are in a spot where u cant pass up an AB for Murray.   The advantage in pts is that big and nothing is more valuable.  

Everyone is trying to snag that golden late round rb1.   For cuffs and zero rb players. WRs can be much more easily cycled with minimal need for expending high waiver picks.   

There are other ways to victory, of course, but it's no accident the top players on championship teams are rbs.  

I donyt think anyone disagrees about the value of a stud rb; I think ones strategy depends on where you draft your rb.   Murray was practically a 4th rd pick last season; yet as a 1st-2nd rd adp this season some may not think he is worth it based on injury risk and henry getting more touches.

I personally draft better teams when i focus on stud wr's over stud rb's 

Edited by dashoe