NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 General Draft Strategies

@FFCollusion love your 150-1 strategy and I began implementing it last football season as well as in basketball and baseball. I would often find myself with a surplus of a certain position or having to pass on guys I love because I just took best player available in my mind without putting any thought into the middle to late rounds. I like it even more in the other 2 major sports as you're dealing with more positions. I have my first draft of the season Tuesday and I think I'm gonna map it out by hand as the site you use only goes up to 14 teams while this league will be 16, do you happen to know where I could get a chart like yours for 16 teams?

Thanks

PS. Someone at football diehards wrote a similar article he calls it STOMP Strategic Targeting Of ADP Mapping.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, turner46 said:

@FFCollusion do you happen to know where I could get a chart like yours for 16 teams?

I don't know where you could find one for 16 teams and a quick google search came up with nothing.

My first idea would be: FantasyPros.com has a 'Draft Simulator' where you can set up a 16 team league, select your scoring format, preferred ADP data, and view a 'draft board'.  You still have to make your selections, but just follow ADP for the best accuracy.  Only issue if the computer teams won't directly follow ADP, when attempting to fill their roster, so it could be slightly off, but probably still close enough.

Second idea: At ClickDraft.com you can custom create a draft board, and you can fill it in for all teams, using whatever ADP data you chose.  Not as intuitive as I would like, because the player selection resets each time, whereas if it stayed up, you could just spam click through their ADP which seems decently in line.

Third idea: MSPaint.  Take the 14 team draft board from FFCalc, and start cutting and pasting a makeshift board.  Save the image and viola.

A few years ago I recall a Draft Day Dominator program?  I think that's what it was called, it might have done the same thing, but realistically any type of 'draft simulator' might be your best bet, to get a 16 team draft board.

Hope that helps, thanks for the kind words, and good luck.

In auction leagues, I feel more comfortable paying up for one of David Johnson (70-75), Leveon Bell (65-70), or Jordan Howard (53-57), and then paying up for my RB2 with one of Isaiah Crowell (33-34), Marshawn Lynch (43-45). I feel like this is a solid year to start out with 2 solid RBs, couple of depth RBs, 1 solid TE/QB, then get value WRs in the 5-20 dollar range. 

I could get behind a Mariota, Howard, Marshawn, Olsen, Abdullah type team with those value WRs (Think Adam Thielen, Donte Moncrief, Cam Meredith, DeVante Parker, Zay Jones,etc) Might even have room for one decent WR like a Tyreek Hill type.

*number values close to approximate ADP in 12 team standard, 200 auction buck start

Edited by Corey In Da House

Does anyone else wait and wait for their QB and TE? All my picks through rounds 1-8 tend to be RBs and WRs (standard yahoo league... non-ppr..must start 3wr and 2 rb) .I love to build depth, whether its to protect myself from injuries, or use as trade bait. So in  one league, I ended up with Derek Carr and M. Bennett in the 11th and 12th rounds.. I mean, I dont feel great at all about those two players. Especially Bennett. 

I never  draft lets say a Jimmy Graham and Russel Wilson in the middle rounds, i would love to, but there's so many good RBs and WRs that could break out and provide a ton of value. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

Edited by dannyz6969
9 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

Does anyone else wait and wait for their QB and TE? All my picks through rounds 1-8 tend to be RBs and WRs (standard yahoo league... non-ppr..must start 3wr and 2 rb) .I love to build depth, whether its to protect myself from injuries, or use as trade bait. So in  one league, I ended up with Derek Carr and M. Bennett in the 11th and 12th rounds.. I mean, I dont feel great at all about those two players. Especially Bennett. 

I never  draft lets say a Jimmy Graham and Russel Wilson in the middle rounds, i would love to, but there's so many good RBs and WRs that could break out and provide a ton of value. 

Yeah, I know a lot of people who do, including myself.  But, the past few years I changed my strategy if I felt a QB or TE delivered value at the respective draft spot. I just got tired of going through the year trying to find a decent TE on waivers that scored enough points to roster. Going from standard to PPR with QB's scoring 6  points per TD also changed my drafting technique. I still believe the old school RB/WR depth drafting is a good way to go, and will usually deliver you a solid playoff contender most years though.

15 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

I didn't take a QB or TE until the 10th round and that's when I took Ertz.  I think I waited about two more rounds before I took Rivers.  This was a 10 team draft.

46 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

Has been my approach for years, usually value value plays - only time it changes if a lot of folks do it and you get really deep on RB or WR and then you feel like your just drafting them to take a WR or RB but passing on true QB or TE1.  

1 minute ago, PolarBear said:

I wasn't a fan of zero-RB last year when everybody was touting it after the big RB meltdown in 2015. 

Now with the RB boom this year - I think I will be taking this approach without even trying. 

Rb boom? The drop off imho is alot quicker than normal after the first handful of proven studs, there's a hell of a lot of question marks and players that people might struggle with if they don't have a stud you build around, but that's just me 

I'll always wait on QB until there's only 2-3 left on the board I feel comfortable starting, then usually go QB-QB. TE I generally try to do the same, but if I feel a true TE1 falls (Olsen/Kelce type) far enough I'll take him. Sometimes the difference between a round 5 WR2/3 and a round 6-7 one is the less than a TE1 to fringe starter TE. 

13 hours ago, dannyz6969 said:

I typically draft a serviceable TE super late with the mindset of, I can pick up one or two guys in the first 2-3 weeks that weren't on the pre-season radar, but end up with a lot of targets or are a favorite in the red zone come regular season. Last year for example, Cameron Brate, Hunter Henry, Jack Doyle. Going further back, Larry Donnel, Jordan Cameron (maybe I drafted him?). Anyways, you get the idea. It has worked out very well for me thus far.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, dannyz6969 said:

I usually do the same. But....I am slowly buying into the logic of taking Rodgers 3rd round, Brady 4th round, or Brees 5th round. 

I a firm believer in building a 'strength' in the draft. Spending your first 8 picks on flex positions...can do that. If you have a very identifiable strength a third of the way into the season....you can kinda cherry pick how you want to improve your perceived weakness through favorable trades. 

Crucial big draft tonight, picked out of the 4th hole in a 10 team yahoo league and its a total nightmare spot to be in. My brain froze in the 3rd round and I went with TY Hilton.. first two picks were Julio (was debating taking Freeman) and Baldwin. WR-WR-WR and I never do this, but my brain froze in 2nd and 3rd rounds.. especially the 3rd. 

The RBs available at the 2/3 turn are not ideal options for me.. Fournette.. Gurley (own him in one league.. didn't want multiple shares) Miller.. and the Crow.. I wanted to pick Crow but he went literally one spot ahead of me and I went with TY ..  Gronk already was taken.

I went RB crazy afterwards with picks of Mixon (Oline issues), Ware (could lose job?) , Ingram (coach's doghouse), Doug Martin, Quiz,  J Hill, Perine.

Cam and Rudolph round out my starting line up. 

How f'd is my RB situation?

Edited by dannyz6969
2 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

Crucial big draft tonight, picked out of the 4th hole in a 10 team yahoo league and its a total nightmare spot to be in. My brain froze in the 3rd round and I went with TY Hilton.. first two picks were Julio (was debating taking Freeman) and Baldwin. WR-WR-WR and I never do this, but my brain froze in 2nd and 3rd rounds.. especially the 3rd. 

The RBs available at the 2/3 turn are not ideal options for me.. Fournette.. Gurley (own him in one league.. didn't want multiple shares) Miller.. and the Crow.. I wanted to pick Crow but he went literally one spot ahead of me and I went with TY ..  Gronk already was taken.

I went RB crazy afterwards with picks of Mixon (Oline issues), Ware (could lose job?) , Ingram (coach's doghouse), Doug Martin, Quiz,  J Hill, Perine.

Oh idk...it could be ok.  At least u got Martin/Quizz and J Hill/Mixon.  Will need some good fortune and a couple top 10 WRs.  

29 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

Hilton is great what ya fretting about there lol

5 hours ago, Tenner said:

I usually do the same. But....I am slowly buying into the logic of taking Rodgers 3rd round, Brady 4th round, or Brees 5th round. 

I a firm believer in building a 'strength' in the draft. Spending your first 8 picks on flex positions...can do that. If you have a very identifiable strength a third of the way into the season....you can kinda cherry pick how you want to improve your perceived weakness through favorable trades. 

Majority of the mocks I've done, I've actually liked my team better when I pick up Rodgers in the 3rd. 

Anyone ever tried drafting all the prominent rookie RBs?

The thought crossed my mind with McCaffrey and Fournette.  People are split on who will be the better fantasy performer, some really believe in McCaffrey.

Proposing this for a league setting that starts 2 RBs, no FLEX position, 3 WRs, 1 QB, 1 TE, +0.5 PPR.

If you were to draft:

Fournette

McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Alvin Kamara

Joe Mixon?

At least one of those guys would be likely to pop and be a top-10 option at the RB position in fantasy, right?  And with all the other ones, you'd have a reasonable RB2 most weeks, with the upside of another one of them popping into the top 15 or top 10 at the RB position.

Thoughts on this strategy?  Anyone ever tried to play Pokemon with the top-rated rookie RBs in a previous season?

On 8/20/2017 at 2:56 PM, FFCollusion said:

I don't know where you could find one for 16 teams and a quick google search came up with nothing.

My first idea would be: FantasyPros.com has a 'Draft Simulator' where you can set up a 16 team league, select your scoring format, preferred ADP data, and view a 'draft board'.  You still have to make your selections, but just follow ADP for the best accuracy.  Only issue if the computer teams won't directly follow ADP, when attempting to fill their roster, so it could be slightly off, but probably still close enough.

Second idea: At ClickDraft.com you can custom create a draft board, and you can fill it in for all teams, using whatever ADP data you chose.  Not as intuitive as I would like, because the player selection resets each time, whereas if it stayed up, you could just spam click through their ADP which seems decently in line.

Third idea: MSPaint.  Take the 14 team draft board from FFCalc, and start cutting and pasting a makeshift board.  Save the image and viola.

A few years ago I recall a Draft Day Dominator program?  I think that's what it was called, it might have done the same thing, but realistically any type of 'draft simulator' might be your best bet, to get a 16 team draft board.

Hope that helps, thanks for the kind words, and good luck.

What board / post can I go look at. Seems like a good idea, but can't find your original post.

35 minutes ago, Robrain said:

The thought crossed my mind with McCaffrey and Fournette.  People are split on who will be the better fantasy performer, some really believe in McCaffrey.

Proposing this for a league setting that starts 2 RBs, no FLEX position, 3 WRs, 1 QB, 1 TE, +0.5 PPR.

If you were to draft:

Fournette

McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Alvin Kamara

Joe Mixon?

At least one of those guys would be likely to pop and be a top-10 option at the RB position in fantasy, right?  And with all the other ones, you'd have a reasonable RB2 most weeks, with the upside of another one of them popping into the top 15 or top 10 at the RB position.

Thoughts on this strategy?  Anyone ever tried to play Pokemon with the top-rated rookie RBs in a previous season?

You'd probably have to draft high in the first round and even then I don't think you'd be able to get both Cook and Mixon (or whoever you value less out of the "top4"). Could see you get 3 guys but you'd have to choose. 

3 hours ago, Robrain said:

If you were to draft:

Fournette

McCaffrey

Dalvin Cook

Alvin Kamara

Joe Mixon?

It's a fun experiment- and theoretically possible... but generally not advisable.  

Lots of risk in rookies and you're reaching around grabbing only one type of player instead of responding to which guys are good value picks.   I've heard crazier things though. 

So I really don't feel comfortable taking the 2nd tier runningbacks with my first or second pick (#11 out of 12 teams). If I go WR, WR, which runninbacks should I be targeting mid rounds? How do you guys feel about those 2nd tier runningbacks?