NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 General Draft Strategies

4 minutes ago, DConny1 said:

So I really don't feel comfortable taking the 2nd tier runningbacks with my first or second pick (#11 out of 12 teams). If I go WR, WR, which runninbacks should I be targeting mid rounds? How do you guys feel about those 2nd tier runningbacks?

In a 10 team draft I went WR,WR and somehow DeMarco fell to me in the 3rd round so I took him.  I then took Dalvin Cook in the 4th.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, DConny1 said:

So I really don't feel comfortable taking the 2nd tier runningbacks with my first or second pick (#11 out of 12 teams). If I go WR, WR, which runninbacks should I be targeting mid rounds? How do you guys feel about those 2nd tier runningbacks?

Felt the same way picking #13 in a 14-teamer (.5 PPR). Went AJ/Jordy at the turn, then got Brees in the 3rd (6pt QB TDs). Ended up picking a stable of RBs in the mid rounds - Ware, Martin, Kelley, McFadden and James White. Hoping that the McFadden/Martin combo turns into RB1 numbers and the other guys can fill in at RB2/Flex, 

24 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

The RB position in standard is so bad this year, in Standard Scoring you can draft Antonio Brown and feel bad about it.

Well it's not as deep as wr, but that's the new norm with half the league throwing it all over the yard for 4000+.   Most teams have 2 viable wr options that can be started.   Shading coverage, different zone and trap concepts make it much more favorable to target Sanu vs Julio or Djax vs Evans or whatever.   There's enough action there for second WRs.    

Last season, something like 16 of the top 25 backs were 25 years old or younger.   I see more talent, youth, and stability in rb this year than in the last 5.    A Freeman/Ajayi or Murray/Howard is a beautiful way to start any standard draft.   

Edited by Impreza178
Just now, rahuLL said:

I'm picking 8th/12 in a standard snake draft and I am not happy at all with any of my mock teams. 

Anyone have any draft strategies or suggestions? 

a lot of my mocks i have seen mike evans drop to 7/8 which is fantastic, so i snag him

then on the turn i usually grab fournette or best RB that is left in my eyes giving you a top WR and top RB as a base

from there i just go best value at Wr or RB for the 3rd and 4th round picks unless rodgers falls into the late 3rd/early 4th

and late i see myself picking up martin/AP types for a flex spot so usually it leads to me taking another Rb-WR combo in 3-4 then going for top QB (brees) if left at that point or just grabbing another RB (after the 5th round i will not draft WR to a bench spot since they are all the same)

ive ended up in a perfect world with

Brees (4 or 5)

Fournette (2nd)

mixon (3rd)

Evans (1st)

Djax or devante parker (this slot is 4th or 5th round)

Graham (6th or 7th)

AP (6th or 7th)

obv size of league can vary these results but these are guys i seem to end up drafting a lot

my 2 cents is obv balance hah

Just now, kmoore1521 said:

a lot of my mocks i have seen mike evans drop to 7/8 which is fantastic, so i snag him

then on the turn i usually grab fournette or best RB that is left in my eyes giving you a top WR and top RB as a base

from there i just go best value at Wr or RB for the 3rd and 4th round picks unless rodgers falls into the late 3rd/early 4th

and late i see myself picking up martin/AP types for a flex spot so usually it leads to me taking another Rb-WR combo in 3-4 then going for top QB (brees) if left at that point or just grabbing another RB (after the 5th round i will not draft WR to a bench spot since they are all the same)

ive ended up in a perfect world with

Brees (4 or 5)

Fournette (2nd)

mixon (3rd)

Evans (1st)

Djax or devante parker (this slot is 4th or 5th round)

Graham (6th or 7th)

AP (6th or 7th)

obv size of league can vary these results but these are guys i seem to end up drafting a lot

my 2 cents is obv balance hah

I really wish I could snag Evans and demarco in the first and second. A bit hesitant on fournette and Jacksonvilles offense/oline. Gurley also had a terrible year last year, so would be praying for a bounce back those are the two most common rbs available in the second when I pick. 

12 minutes ago, rahuLL said:

I'm picking 8th/12 in a standard snake draft and I am not happy at all with any of my mock teams. 

Is one of McCoy/Freeman/Gordon not there for you? 

4 minutes ago, rahuLL said:

I really wish I could snag Evans and demarco in the first and second. A bit hesitant on fournette and Jacksonvilles offense/oline. Gurley also had a terrible year last year, so would be praying for a bounce back those are the two most common rbs available in the second when I pick. 

I'm seeing freeman, Gordon available at 8 pretty regularly

pair that with Ajayi/Murray/Howard at 12 and you will looking at cooks/Baldwin/DT types in the third.   (Maybeeee Gronk but unlikely) Fourth you can grab best available (Adams is a sneaky pick here) or jump into the TE fray with Kelce/Reed if u are so inclined.  

Edited by Impreza178
7 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Is one of McCoy/Freeman/Gordon not there for you? 

McCoy gone for sure. Freeman and Gordon are there. I'm not overly concerned with the first rounder, the second rounder and later is typically the concern

23 hours ago, DConny1 said:

In the same boat

If I go WR/WR, I'm targeting Dalvin Cook 3rd and cuffing with Latavius or Lynch/Whoever his back up is 

3 minutes ago, DezBryant88 said:

Drafting this season is looking to be tough. I almost feel like you have to go RB/RB.

nah nah you dont HAVE to

i mean if you can get 2 of melvin murray ajayi howard sure thats solid, but im 100% someone from that group busts haha risky risky to own 2 of them

HOWEVER i think there is a drop off in WR once u get past jordy and thomas so my idea with the WR-RB or RB-WR strategy is get that elite WR and u can still get a nice RB then u only need to hit on ONE RB while getting a stud WR to anchor you

I'm absolutely going RB/RB in standard. PPR not sure yet.

Jesus.. I went WR/WR/WR Julio/Baldwin/Hilton (not on purpose) I just couldn't swallow taking Gurley, Fournette, Miller, Cook, or Lynch.  I wanted Crow but he went right before my turn. 4th overall sucks. I should've picked Mccoy or Freeman over Julio probably.

Edited by dannyz6969
2 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

Jesus.. I went WR/WR/WR Julio/Baldwin/Hilton (not on purpose) I just couldn't swallow taking Gurley, Fournette, Miller, Cook, or Lynch.  I wanted Crow but he went right before my turn. 4th overall sucks. I should've picked Mccoy or Freeman over Julio probably.

I'm picking #5 in PPR and will most likely go with McCoy or Freeman and then go WR/WR in 2 and 3. Targeting Kelce in the 4th. I'd be fine with someone like Powell as my RB2 as long as my RB1 is rock solid.

2 hours ago, rahuLL said:

I actually like this spot in standard. You can go D Freeman or D Murray and then grab J Howard/M Thomas or Gronk

2 hours ago, DezBryant88 said:

Drafting this season is looking to be tough. I almost feel like you have to go RB/RB.

I'm 6 in a 12team ppr and i don't think there is anyway i can skip out on a rb early. When Jordan Howard and Crowell are cracking the top 10, you know things are bleak.

58 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

I'm 6 in a 12team ppr and i don't think there is anyway i can skip out on a rb early. When Jordan Howard and Crowell are cracking the top 10, you know things are bleak.

Who would you take at 6 if McCoy goes 4 or 5?

1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

Who would you take at 6 if McCoy goes 4 or 5?

I'm in a similar boat. With picks 6, 19, and 30. The options are kinda bleak for early round runningbacks. 

At pick 19...Howard, Gordon, DeMarco, Gurley, Freeman, and Fournette are most likely gone. DeMarco may fall...but he is a dnd for me. 

At 30....Crowell may be there as would Cook. But I'm not high on Cook. 

Those that have picks 3(22), 4 (21), 5 (20), 6 (19), and 7 (18) are likely screwed out of the gate at the RB position. 

The best values for the first 2 selections with the above group is mostly WR/WR

Those that pick 1 (24), 2 (23), 8 (17), 9 (16), 10 (15), 11 (14), and 12 (13) will have an immediate strength at RB. 

The best values for this group is RB/RB

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

I guess I'm in the minority but I feel like the depth of players across all positions is crazy this year. I have no problem reaching a bit for players I really like in the first few rounds and just taking BPA, filling in later.

just finished my first draft of the year- full ppr. Oh man are there a lot of solid WRs this year. Super deep. Abs on the other hand? After round 5/6 huge drop off to rookies like hunt that are backups trying to win the job. My next draft is standard and I gotta go more rb early on. 

6 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

just finished my first draft of the year- full ppr. Oh man are there a lot of solid WRs this year. Super deep. Abs on the other hand? After round 5/6 huge drop off to rookies like hunt that are backups trying to win the job. My next draft is standard and I gotta go more rb early on. 

Yeah I agree. However if you miss out on a top flight running back in the first round I think you have to take the route of WR-WR in the first two rounds especially in a ppr. Best player available is the way to go for fantasy and not force the issue to try and fill a roster spot just for the sake of saying "I need a running back."

20 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Yeah I agree. However if you miss out on a top flight running back in the first round I think you have to take the route of WR-WR in the first two rounds especially in a ppr. Best player available is the way to go for fantasy and not force the issue to try and fill a roster spot just for the sake of saying "I need a running back."

From what I am seeing there seems to be a RB panic early and good WR are falling. One draft I got Doug Baldwin at the end of the third round. 

49 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

From what I am seeing there seems to be a RB panic early and good WR are falling. One draft I got Doug Baldwin at the end of the third round. 

Yes, but that's because I think it's vital to get a RB in one of the 1st 3 rounds... they drop off a cliff after that.

For someone like me, who has 3rd pick in a 10 team 0.5ppr, I'll likely need to grab a RB at the 2/3 turn after getting AB in the first. If not, I'll be looking at my RB1 at the end of the 4th round... who knows what will be left to pick from.  I'm hoping Gurley (who I'm high on) falls to me at the 18th pick, then I'm free to choose a WR in 3rd round and get some of that value you're talking about.