NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 General Draft Strategies

RB is ugly this year.  Can't predict drafts, but I just don't like going wr-wr this year at all...especially if folks start reaching on RBs. At the the same time, it is hard to pass up on some of the early WRs for a RB.

End of the day...draft based on value, but be aware of how your league is drafting RBs

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, joey0480 said:

RB is ugly this year.  Can't predict drafts, but I just don't like going wr-wr this year at all...especially if folks start reaching on RBs. At the the same time, it is hard to pass up on some of the early WRs for a RB.

End of the day...draft based on value, but be aware of how your league is drafting RBs

My 12 team standard draft went 9/12 RB in the first round. There was tons of WR talent to be had in rounds 2-4. 

Anyone in here drafted at No. 6 in a 12-team PPR? Interested to hear what your strategy was going in. Ideally, I'd like to get a RB in the first three rounds, but I fear if I go WR first, then the RBs in rounds 2/3 won't have value and I'll end up starting WR-WR-WR, which I'd prefer not to do. That said, RBs outside of Bell/DJ have be squirmish 

12 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

Anyone in here drafted at No. 6 in a 12-team PPR? Interested to hear what your strategy was going in. Ideally, I'd like to get a RB in the first three rounds, but I fear if I go WR first, then the RBs in rounds 2/3 won't have value and I'll end up starting WR-WR-WR, which I'd prefer not to do. That said, RBs outside of Bell/DJ have be squirmish 

I don't see the issue with taking Ajayi, Freeman, or McCoy in any order. You are right about there being dog crap there waiting for you by the time of 2nd round. You really want Todd Gurley, Lamar Miller, Leonard Fournette (health), Zeke (if he's there at your 2nd pick then sure but I wouldn't want to bank on that with the nice amount of WR depth there is this year). I mean one of Dez, Cooks, Cooper could be there for you if you passed on a WR early for one of those 3 early 1st RB. 

Edited by Corey In Da House

Here's a good idea. Build a team around your first draft pick. Who do you feel comfortable taking in first round?  Ok take him. Next,  build your team around that guy. at that point only use adp as a guide to know who could be there next round. Repeat. Not rocket science. Just 48 hours left before preseason done!!

12 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

I drafted 6th overall in standard 12 team. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to cover my as at the RB position. You will likely have to "reach" on a RB in the first round. 

I threw away adp rankings and took the RB I wanted. After pick 17.....there was no RB remaining that I had a high grade on remaining. Very glad I pulled the trigger. 

13 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

If Evans or Green are there at 6, I would be hard pressed to let them pass me. If you are willing to play the WW and trust your bench with deep RB picks, and the hope that something comes of it, you don't really need a RB in the first 2 rounds. You can pummel your opponents with stud WRs (assuming you pick the right one). If you aren't happy with any of the RBs, don't reach for one just so that you have one and pass over someone else that you really like more. You don't 'need' one of those RBs to do well. 

6 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

If Evans or Green are there at 6, I would be hard pressed to let them pass me. If you are willing to play the WW and trust your bench with deep RB picks, and the hope that something comes of it, you don't really need a RB in the first 2 rounds. You can pummel your opponents with stud WRs (assuming you pick the right one). If you aren't happy with any of the RBs, don't reach for one just so that you have one and pass over someone else that you really like more. You don't 'need' one of those RBs to do well. 

Yeah it just comes down to if he'd rather have say McCoy's production over Gurley, and be fine with having an Alshon/Cooper/Cooks/Dez type instead of a Mike Evans/AJ Green type. I know I'd prefer McCoy/one of those 2nd round WR over a Evans/Gurley start. It is possible Demarco/Zeke slips which is something he is going to have to consider knowing his own leaguemates.

18 hours ago, joey0480 said:

Agree with the basic sentiment of this. I strongly prefer the early RBs to the mid round guys, same with WR. But the dropoff seems a little bigger at RB so I'm leaning that way. Definitely not taking anybody except RB/WR except for Gronk in the first 4 rounds. 

write down your pick numbers...6, 19, 30, 43... ...etc  Go to the latest adp rankings from the *platform your draft is held on.  Write down 4-5 players that are going on both sides of each pick, do not write down those you have no interest in.

Now take a step back, look at the big picture...pick your rb v. wr strategy, target the rds for qb & te, make a note when it's time to reach for your sleeper/rookie.

You will walk away pleased.

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

write down your pick numbers...6, 19, 30, 43... ...etc  Go to the latest adp rankings from the *platform your draft is held on.  Write down 4-5 players that are going on both sides of each pick, do not write down those you have no interest in.

Now take a step back, look at the big picture...pick your rb v. wr strategy, target the rds for qb & te, make a note when it's time to reach for your sleeper/rookie.

This is how I plan for all my drafts, football and baseball and I always walk away with a good majority of the players I wanted at each given round. It's an excellent way of preparing. 

I'm most likely pick 10 in a 10 teamer (standard), which means I have pick 10 - 11 and 30 - 31. As I see it, my best options are, with the players I'm hoping / aiming for;

Option 1 (RB - RB - WR - WR):
Pick 1 / 2. Freeman / Gordon 

Pick 3 / 4. Baldwin / Hopkins 

Option 2 (WR - WR - RB - RB) --> 1st preferred option

Pick 1 / 2. AJ Green / Jordy Nelson

Pick 3 / 4. Crowell / Hyde 

Option 3 (RB - WR - RB - WR)

Pick 1 / 2. Freeman  / AJ Green

Pick 3 / 4. Crowell / Baldwin

Option 4 (RB - WR - RB - RB) --> 2nd preferred option

Pick 1 / 2. Freeman / AJ Green

Pick 3 / 4. Crowell / Hyde

Option 5 (RB - WR - WR - WR)

Pick 1 / 2. Freeman / AJ Green

Pick 3 / 4. Baldwin / Hopkins

I'm hoping for Freeman on 10 or 11, but not expecting that. If not, I might favor to go for AJ Green and Jordy or whoever falls to me (most likely to be Evans if anyone falls). On 30 and 31 I'm down for 2 rb's out of Hyde, L. Miller, McCaffrey or maybe even Lynch (if he falls). If I'll take a RB on 10 - 11 I have to go for WR's like Baldwin, Hopkins, DT or Pryor. I just think the RB's on my 3th and 4th turn are better and more solid options than my options for WR's there. Also, I understand a live draft can go different than expected, therefore I have my own rankings.

This is probably gonna be my general draft strategy to go with, this year, for my pick in my league. These options are made by me, with my desires and expectations of players and with whom I feel the most safest with for my early rounds.

Edited by the holy one
11 hours ago, vthokie3 said:

anyone play half ppr? Still go WR heavy?

Yeah I'm in one league with half point ppr and I use the same strategy as my full ppr. The order in which I pick my WR and RB changes based on where I draft from but in both leagues I went receiver heavy in the 1st 6 rounds. Here's an example of my full ppr vs my half ppr draft (just 1st 6 rounds). I just feel like it's easier to hold your #1 waiver throughout the season to use it on a stud RB after an injury or changing of lead backs than it is to improve your WR core after the draft. 

Full PPR (QB/3WR/2RB/TE/FLEX): picked 10th (draft was 2 weeks ago) 

10th pick - LeSean McCoy (can't believe he fell to me but 4 other RBs went in the 1st)

11th pick - Jordy Nelson (he fell simply because freeman and Gordon wend in the 1st)

30th pick - Todd Gurley

31st pick - Gronk

50th pick - Crabtree

51st pick - K Allen

Half PPR (QB/2WR/2RB/TE/2FLEX): picked 6th (draft was last night)

6th pick - Odell

15th pick - Jordan Howard

26th pick - Doug Baldwin

35th pick - TY Hilton

46th pick - Kareem Hunt

55th pick - D Thomas

On 8/29/2017 at 5:54 AM, joey0480 said:

I am a long time WR-WR drafter in a .5 ppr.  I am tempted more this year to get RB's earlier.  However, this is not the first time this temptation has occurred.

In the end I have to remind myself that RB's are coming off a great fantasy year in 2016, and WR's had a horrible year.  Will that flip flop or continue?  No one knows....  Because in 2015, WR's had a monster, historic year.  

RB's always get hurt, and all of the unknown guys come out of nowhere to dominate a backfield.  When do the injuries start, and do you have a competent enough set of RB's to get you to that point?  

A lot of leagues start only 2 RB and 3 WR.  This puts more emphasis on WR.  Having an awesome #3WR when your opponents are all starting guys like Eli Rogers or Sterling Shepard is a distinct advantage.  

1 minute ago, SpartanEric said:

A lot of leagues start only 2 RB and 3 WR.  This puts more emphasis on WR.  Having an awesome #3WR when your opponents are all starting guys like Eli Rogers or Sterling Shepard is a distinct advantage.  

I agree 100%. In my 2RB/3WR ppr league I have Keenan Allen as my #3, which I know the risk but if he stays healthy that could be a major headache for my opponents all season long. 

Went with a Zero Kicker Strategy in a Yahoo Auction League Last night.....Spent my Money on a quantity of mid range WR's (1 PPR League), hoping a few will emerge as PPR Studs. 

Have Fitz / Parker / Landry / Crabtree / Crowder / Hopkins / E. Sanders / M. Bryant,.....to fill 3 WR spots and a possible Flex 

As we drafted early, I have time before the season starts to either drop one for a k (10 team league), or roll the dice and not start a kicker in week 1 and see how the WR's pan out. Anyone else ever try this strategy in Yahoo ? 

Thoughts on drafting Gronk and Rodgers in a 14 team PPR league if you have pick #14 and 15?  I always feel like when you are at the back of the draft, getting somebody like Jordan Howard and Amari Cooper isn't going to make up the disadvantage of playing against a guy with DJ and Dez Bryant.  If you lock down the #1 TE and QB, is it easier to find value in the middle rounds for RB and WR?

I've never started out a draft TE-QB before, but doing some mocks, the team is more competitive than I thought.

I guess another way to pose the question is, how closely do you follow VBD?  Because often times, (depending on keepers already gone), VBD would dictate that you draft a Gronk or Rodgers.

Edited by CooL
3 hours ago, psygolf said:

Exactly the way I draft. 

I've been doing a lot of mocks from my #3 spot and been testing out going WR, WR, WR first 3 rounds in a 10 team PPR league. (Start 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex)

Who here goes WR first 3 rounds?

Edited by phatrat
Assistant coach content removed
35 minutes ago, Dembski84 said:

I've been doing a lot of mocks from my #3 spot and been testing out going WR, WR, WR first 3 rounds in a 10 team PPR league. (Start 2 RB, 2 WR, and a flex)

Who here goes WR first 3 rounds?

Depends on the league, but you are not likely getting the buzzy rookie RBs in the 4th of a 12 teamer.  

In my opinion this is just not the year to go zero-RB.  There will be surprises as always, but this is a very strong rookie RB class and many of those rookies are walking into excellent situations for immediate production (therefore they're all going early). If you don't grab an RB in the first three rounds you're going to be at a disadvantage all season against multiple teams who grabbed an established bellcow and paired him with a rookie in the first three picks.

Anybody else in a league where you can trade draft picks? Our redraft league is introducing it this year and I have the #7 pick and the #12 wants to trade up to my spot. What would you guys do that trade for? Swap mid round picks?