NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 General Draft Strategies

12 hours ago, turner46 said:

4 or 6 pt TD's? I like Gronk there and if 6 pt passing td's could get on board with Rodgers but if 4 it's too early, if you do this you have a little less room for error at RB but also a little more room for lotto tickets as you'll never have to worry about QB or TE outside of bye weeks. If you can draft or grab solid RB's you'd be laughing but easier said then done.

4 or 6 point TDs are irrelevant. Everyone is playing with the same scoring system.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

4 or 6 point TDs are irrelevant. Everyone is playing with the same scoring system.

This isn't true . . . in a 6 point passing TD league there is greater separation between the top QBs and the lesser ones.  Rodgers is gaining an extra 2 points per TD pass that he throws over the competition.  

Take last year for example, Rodgers threw 40 passing TDs to Cousins' 25.  In 4-pt passing TD the advantage to Rodgers is 60 points, and in 6-pt TD it's 90 points.  

I've been mocking from the 6th spot in a 12-team PPR, and I've come to conclusion that it doesn't really matter what positions I draft where as long as I get guys that I like at each pick.  I've started WR-WR-WR or RB-RB-RB and still ended up with good looking teams that I'd be happy with.  So to me the notion that you need to have a plan of attack for your first few rounds and stick to a script is a little over-rated.  

That being said I don't treat every pick as BPA through the whole draft.  I have a pool of mid-later round players from all positions that I like, and who I target will largely be dictated by who I take in the early rounds.  For example I like guys like Parker and Maclin at WR in the mid-rounds, and Abdullah and Powell at RB, but obviously you can't have them all.  I'll take the best players that fall to me in the first 3 or 4 rounds regardless of position (assuming I can at least Flex them), and then my mid-pick targets will be dictated by the holes left over.  I don't feel strongly enough about Parker vs. Abdullah or Maclin vs. Powell to "work backwards" in the draft and have that dictate who I need to take early, so I'll take the best talents earlier and let that dictate who my mid-round upside guys will be.

6th spot particular is an interesting spot this year because it's not so clear cut who will be there.  OBJ had been going consistently at 4-5, but with the injury concerns he's dropping in a lot of drafts, so I've been viewing him as my ideal target at 6 (unless something wacky happens and AB or JJ fall).  If OBJ is gone it means that McCoy is likely there, so I'll take him. Coming back at 18 in the 2nd there is also some variation in who is left, but generally I have been targeting Baldwin first, and if he's gone going Gurley.  Then again at 30 in the 3rd you often see Fournette or Allen falling due to injury concerns, or good upside guys like Pryor or Hunt/McCaffrey.  Depending how the chips fall you can easily end up OBJ-Baldwin-Allen or McCoy-Gurley-Hunt, and IMO there's still plenty of RB and WR upside in the mid-rounds to make up for it.  

What do people think of this strategy I went with in my main league:

Drafted in spot 3/10. Nabbed Antonio Brown. Got Gronk on the way back, then took Rodgers in the 3rd.

So I ended up with the consensus #1 at QB, WR, and TE--of course at the expense of a weak group of RBs.

My reasoning was that I trust my ability to evaluate talent in the later rounds, so taking the surefire studs then drafting a bunch of RBs I see potential in could pay big dividends if I hit on one or two, or potentially sink me if I don't. The RBs I drafted were Crowell, Hyde, Abdullah, Powell, JStew.

2 hours ago, overmorrow said:

Drafted in spot 3/10. Nabbed Antonio Brown. Got Gronk on the way back, then took Rodgers in the 3rd.

So I ended up with the consensus #1 at QB, WR, and TE--of course at the expense of a weak group of RBs.

My reasoning was that I trust my ability to evaluate talent in the later rounds, so taking the surefire studs then drafting a bunch of RBs I see potential in could pay big dividends if I hit on one or two, or potentially sink me if I don't. The RBs I drafted were Crowell, Hyde, Abdullah, Powell, JStew.

I think you'll be fine. Well done, it all depends on gronk. 

Edited by mmcc1029

Usually I'm only doing 12 team leagues. This year I got invited to a prestigious 10 team league. Standard scoring.

I already have a really good grasp on my 12 team strategy this season: Go RB early and often! Didn't like my rosters in the end when passing on RB early. Good WR value can be found later. Best drafts I had were RB-RB-RB and maybe even RB in the 4th.

Now, I did a few 10 team mocks and oddly enough it seems to be the polar opposite: I always hate my roster when I start RB-heavy early. Best results I got from going WR-WR (other when owning 1st or 2nd overall obviously).

Any explanations for that? What are the general strategic differences between 10 and 12 team leagues?

11 hours ago, overmorrow said:

I also was 3/10 and did this, except I went Brees instead of Rodgers (wanted Brady but he was picked just before me). 

By doing this I was able to pick up a bunch of RB and WR in rounds 4-11 that I liked. Hyde, Montgomery, Martin, CJA, Henry, Rawls, A Rob, Tate, Maclin. 

Assuming my top 3 do what they should, I feel pretty confident in my team.  I figure 2 or 3 of my RB will perform at least to expectations and if one of A Rob or Maclin rebound that's just gravy. 

12 hours ago, overmorrow said:

Looking to do something like this with the 5th pick in a ppr 10 team.

2 hours ago, frog34 said:

Usually I'm only doing 12 team leagues. This year I got invited to a prestigious 10 team league. Standard scoring.

I already have a really good grasp on my 12 team strategy this season: Go RB early and often! Didn't like my rosters in the end when passing on RB early. Good WR value can be found later. Best drafts I had were RB-RB-RB and maybe even RB in the 4th.

Now, I did a few 10 team mocks and oddly enough it seems to be the polar opposite: I always hate my roster when I start RB-heavy early. Best results I got from going WR-WR (other when owning 1st or 2nd overall obviously).

Any explanations for that? What are the general strategic differences between 10 and 12 team leagues?

10 is much easier imo.   You just grab the best studs every pick with much less concern about position.  Here's a few examples from my recent 10 team drafts.   Which do u prefer? 

Rb heavy 10 team 1: 

Big Ben (rnd 11)

Shady

Zeke

Cooper

Kelce 

CJA

Diggs

Martin

wr heavy:

Winston(rnd 8)

AJG

Thomas

DT

Miller 

Hunt

KB

Qb/TE heavy:

Brady(rnd 3) 

Gronk

Hyde 

Adams 

Gillsilee 

Garcon

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Qb/TE heavy:

Brady(rnd 3) 

Gronk

Hyde 

Adams 

Gillsilee 

Garcon

Love the Brady/Gronk stack. Who did you take in 1st round though, seems like 1 player is missing?

Of course 10 teams is "easier" to draft. However, in the end you need an amazing team to win a 10 team league, since everybody has a "decent" team on paper, especially in very competitive leagues. Therefore I've asked about 10 team specific strategies for this season?

Edited by frog34
59 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Love the Brady/Gronk stack. Who did you take in 1st round though, seems like 1 player is missing?

Of course 10 teams is "easier" to draft. However, in the end you need an amazing team to win a 10 team league, since everybody has a "decent" team on paper, especially in very competitive leagues. Therefore I've asked about 10 team specific strategies for this season?

Sorry that was just from memory-   First round was DJ

the point is more that any strategy can produce an amazing team on paper in a small league.   It's just preference for how u like to manage it. 

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

10-teamers are such a different animal that there should probably be a "small league draft strategies thread" for 8 and 10 teamers.  

Lol 8 teamers are so stupid

[CSB]

full PPR

QB- Cousins, Stafford

RB- Johnson, Elliot, Cook, Hunt, Riddick

WR- Allen, Crowder, Garçon, Maclin, Moncrief

TE- Gronk, Rudolph

D/ST- Cardinals

K- Crosby

[/CSB] 

for thread relevance... WR depth is so insanely good in the mid to late rounds, especially for PPR. I have absolutely zero qualms with going RB early and often this year, regardless of format (that said I went RB-WR-WR-RB-RB-RB in my 12 team league). In an 8 team league you're basically just grabbing superstars at every turn. During the draft you love it, during the season when your bench is out scoring your starting lineup you hate it haha

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

10-teamers are such a different animal that there should probably be a "small league draft strategies thread" for 8 and 10 teamers.  

Tried a few strategies from different spots.

Really like the "elite RB/WR - elite TE - elite QB" combo in rounds 1-3, especially when drafting top 5. The team mentioned above DJ-Gronk-Brady is amazing. I've seen Antonio-Gronk-A-Rod in one of my leagues.

What worked well for picking late (8-10) is doubling up at each turn. Got away with Evans-Jordy/AJG and Freeman/Gordon-Ajayi on multiple occasions.

Really hate rounds 3 and 4 this year. Normally I wait on QBs until very late, but this year I will have lots of shares of the big 3 QBs which I rarely have.

I was just about to post my overall Top 50 in here as I was making changes to my pre-rankings on Yahoo! and was going to type them in here thereafter.  Yahoo! lost my changes so I don't have the list now and I'm too sad to recreate it. :(

I am not sure where to put this but i am just going to reply here.

I am going to predict one thing and it is a pretty straightforward conclusion when you think about it. Due to Zeke last year, all the rookie RBs are now over-inflated. A lot of people who have drafted rookies in the 2nd/3rd/4th are going to be disadvantages. Some of these rookies are in clear cut RBBCs, some are in bad offenses or bad OLs. Compare that to Zeke, no RBBC, decent offense and stellar OL. A lot of people are going to get burned. 

I see plenty of potential of bad offensive weeks for each rookie RB. They will have good weeks but there will be an intolerable amount of bad weeks. 

12 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I am not sure where to put this but i am just going to reply here.

I am going to predict one thing and it is a pretty straightforward conclusion when you think about it. Due to Zeke last year, all the rookie RBs are now over-inflated. A lot of people who have drafted rookies in the 2nd/3rd/4th are going to be disadvantages. Some of these rookies are in clear cut RBBCs, some are in bad offenses or bad OLs. Compare that to Zeke, no RBBC, decent offense and stellar OL. A lot of people are going to get burned. 

I see plenty of potential of bad offensive weeks for each rookie RB. They will have good weeks but there will be an intolerable amount of bad weeks. 

Possibly, but remember Zeke went in the first, high second round last year, and while I assume you are referring to Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt, you are correct, there respective OL's are not as good as Dallas's was last year, but not terrible either. I don't really know who is assuming Cook or Hunt will be in a RBBC except some young wiz that wrote earlier today that Hunt possibly could be. Also, Cook and Hunt are currently going 3rd round(which is the highest point so far this year) not 1st and high second like Zeke.

Edited by The Caucasian Sensation
Just now, The Caucasian Sensation said:

Possibly, but remember Zeke went in the first high second round last year, and while I assume you are referring to Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt, you are correct, there respective OL's are not as good as Dallas's was last year, but not terrible either. I don't really know who is assuming Cook or Hunt will be in a RBBC except some young wiz that wrote earlier today that Hunt possibly could be. Also, Cook and Hunt are currently going 3rd round(which is the highest point so far this year) not 1st and high second like Zeke.

This is meant for Cook, Hunt, McCaffrey, Fournette and Mixon. In my 12 team PPR draft last night this is how they went:

Hunt - 2.08

Cook - 2.09

McCaffrey - 2.10

Fournette - 3.11

Mixon - 4.07

I think people are grossly underestimating the impact of the Dallas OL on the running game. They did lose a few pieces on that OL too this year so they may not be as good as last year. Anyhow its a prediction. Every year people go overboard with something, can it be rookie RBs this year ? 

Just now, screaming_vultures said:

This is meant for Cook, Hunt, McCaffrey, Fournette and Mixon. In my 12 team PPR draft last night this is how they went:

Hunt - 2.08

Cook - 2.09

McCaffrey - 2.10

Fournette - 3.11

Mixon - 4.07

I think people are grossly underestimating the impact of the Dallas OL on the running game. They did lose a few pieces on that OL too this year so they may not be as good as last year. Anyhow its a prediction. Every year people go overboard with something, can it be rookie RBs this year ? 

Yeah, most of those draft positions are a little too high for me. While I don't think all of those RB's will live up to thier draft psitions, a couple might. Also, I think drafters become enamored with drafting shiny new toys instead of going with proven assets.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:56 PM, Saltyseabass said:

Just found out if you roster Big Ben and Palmer you can work it to face these defenses

1- lions

2-colts

3-bears

4-49ers

5-jags

6-Tampa 

7-bengals

8-lions

9-49ers

10-colts

11-titans

12-packets/jags

13-bengals

14-titans

15-redskins

16-Giants 

the giants are not an easy defense and i wouldnt want to face them in the finals.

Edited by grimsfield
20 minutes ago, grimsfield said:

the giants are not an easy defense and i wouldnt want to face them in the finals.

if you get to the finals you can drop either one and stream.  That's the furthest thing from my mind though when considering late round qbs.