NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sleepers and players to avoid 2017-2018

Rhythms

23 minutes ago, Gorgeous George said:

Collison, Beverley, Teodosic, Tyler Johnson, Brogdan, Teague, Winslow, Dennis Smith Jr, George Hill, Reggie Jackson, and Lin.

Don't forget Ingles. Really pissed that Yahoo! decided to move up his ranking to top 50, makes no sense.. his per 36 is nice but it's not automatic that he'll be that good. That's why he has to remain in a low ranking, its what qualifies him as a sleeper. Being ranked top 50 pretty much says ok I'm taking a risk here, if I pick him and he just repeats last year stats with low usage then I basically wasted a mid round pick on a waiver wire guy.. it's very dumb of them to do that. He should remain in the 120-140s because there is no guarantee that he does any different than last year, but you HOPE that he goes far beyond that - that's what qualifies a sleeper. Yahoo! is basically saying, no no, we guarantee that this guy will get amazing stats this year, in fact so much so, that we're going to dictate his ranking for you based on nothing.

It's why their projected standings are such bollocks as well. For example, they projected standings have Chriss getting worse stats than Markkanen. So the guy gets compared to Ryan Anderson, and Yahoo! aptly projects him to have 80+ steals, 90+ blocks, a 100+ 3's, 45% FG, and like 84% FT, a ton of rebounds.... who the hell is doing these projections this year? This would qualify this guy as a top 5 rounds pick, and he's still ranked in the 100's.. I know it's early and it's all going to change... but it's really September and the season is just around the corner - just a month away, get this s--- straightened out.

Edited by Lifschitz

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Don't forget Ingles. Really pissed that Yahoo! decided to move up his ranking to top 50, makes no sense.. his per 36 is nice but it's not automatic that he'll be that good. That's why he has to remain in a low ranking, its what qualifies him as a sleeper. Being ranked top 50 pretty much says ok I'm taking a risk here, if I pick him and he just repeats last year stats with low usage then I basically wasted a mid round pick on a waiver wire guy.. it's very dumb of them to do that. He should remain in the 120-140s because there is no guarantee that he does any different than last year, but you HOPE that he goes far beyond that - that's what qualifies a sleeper. Yahoo! is basically saying, no no, we guarantee that this guy will get amazing stats this year, in fact so much so, that we're going to dictate his ranking for you based on nothing.

It's why their projected standings are such bollocks as well. For example, they projected standings have Chriss getting worse stats than Markkanen. So the guy gets compared to Ryan Anderson, and Yahoo! aptly projects him to have 80+ steals, 90+ blocks, a 100+ 3's, 45% FG, and like 84% FT, a ton of rebounds.... who the hell is doing these projections this year? This would qualify this guy as a top 5 rounds pick, and he's still ranked in the 100's.. I know it's early and it's all going to change... but it's really September and the season is just around the corner - just a month away, get this s--- straightened out.

Wait.. Those rankings make no sense..  Have yahoo updated them recently.. I haven't checked them for a week or 2

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

Yes I believe so. I did a mock last week and his Regular Rank was around 140 or so.. they updated it and he's suddenly 44..

44? Oh wow. I'll pass. Time to mock again. It would also be good to share the players with outrageous rankings for everyone's perusal here. 

8 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Ahat I also dont like about Yahoo is their little grades you'll get after doing mock. You can do a great draft, cover all bases even without taking lot of risks and theyll just hand you a D-. I know it doesnt account for anything, but its just annoying.

Yes!!!!

I just did 4 mocks in a row and got #1 in the projected standings in all, I don't get it at all. I've done several builds with Giannis, KD, Curry, and Towns.. done very well draft-wise in all of them and their report card is totally off.. 

I was like what?? During the draft I was looking at all the categories and I covered absolutely everything.. got at least top 3-top 5 in 7/9 categories..and then I get a report card saying I got an F and a D- in all of them! 

Edited by Lifschitz

10 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Ahat I also dont like about Yahoo is their little grades you'll get after doing mock. You can do a great draft, cover all bases even without taking lot of risks and theyll just hand you a D-. I know it doesnt account for anything, but its just annoying.

Totally agree. Especially if you decide to punt one or two categories, it's an automatic F or D...

1 minute ago, Mad Luke said:

Totally agree. Especially if you decide to punt one or two categories, it's an automatic F or D...

I don't think it matters either way. I haven't punted at all and I'm still getting those grades. I'd post some of my mock screenshots but one of my friends from my league is lurking my account here, so I've had to shy away from sharing my sleepers.. he's already checked all my post history on my profile :/

7 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Don't forget Ingles. Really pissed that Yahoo! decided to move up his ranking to top 50, makes no sense..

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Yes I believe so. I did a mock last week and his Regular Rank was around 140 or so.. they updated it and he's suddenly 44..

icon_scratch.png

GIflMBrOXcM_utah.jpg

It would be a monumental jump for a player who averaged 45%, 1.5 3's, 7 ppg, 3 boards, 2.7 assists, and 1.3 steals to jump to a projected rank of 44.. he's already 27 years old, he's not a scorer, he's not explosive, he doesn't beat people off the dribble, he doesn't get to the line and doesn't convert well (72% FT shooter), low TO guy, he's a crafty 3+D guy with high IQ and good vision - Boris Diaw/Batum lite. It's not like he wasn't getting minutes either. 24 MPG is plenty of time to do work, heck there are guys who get 24 mpg who put up at least 12-18 ppg (think Lou Williams). Ingles was the lowest usage guy on the team. I guess that's the thinking here, that if you up his usage with Hayward gone, those stats will get much better, but that doesn't put into context the type of player he is. If he had a high ceiling I would feel differently.

That being said, you definitely can vie for a guy who could potentially drop 10 - 12 / 5 / 6 / 1.5 and 2 3's per game. There's a lot of value in that, but it has to be at the right price. 

He has a "rank friendly" game, but not that friendly. I can definitely see in the 80 range.

Edited by Lifschitz

6 minutes ago, GrandGourou said:

44 is not his rank. His rank is 150. Yahoo did not update his ranking yet.

Go do a mock draft and check his projected Y! rank.. that's what we're talking about. I'm not sure if during a live draft it will show his actual current rank on the player list you showed, or the updated projected rank they're showing in the actual draft room interface..

12 minutes ago, GrandGourou said:

Yes yes I saw it. The Projected stats ranking is not the default ranking. You have Ricky 60, Avery Bradley 109, Nurkic 128, Ingram 136, Willy Hernangomez 485. It means nothing.

Yes, but it effects mock drafts (I've seen people pick Ingles in the mid-rounds in a couple of mocks I've done), and it may effect a live draft is this happens during that time. Some people use projected Y! rankings and don't set up pre-draft rankings. Anyway we are derailing the thread with stupidity. 

Edited by Lifschitz

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

How low would it be prudent to grab Markeiff Morris this year? He gave me a lot of value last year and I drafted him deep in late rounds. Now he is in trial proceedings, do you take the gamble?

I'm looking elsewhere for 14/6.  It depends on your league settings, but if he falls to 85 I'd take him.

At this point in the draft I'd look for sophomores or 1/1/1

4 hours ago, rob0403 said:

How low would it be prudent to grab Markeiff Morris this year? He gave me a lot of value last year and I drafted him deep in late rounds. Now he is in trial proceedings, do you take the gamble?

2 hours ago, tongs said:

I'm looking elsewhere for 14/6.  It depends on your league settings, but if he falls to 85 I'd take him.

At this point in the draft I'd look for sophomores or 1/1/1

No offense but I wouldn't even think of drafting him even without the legal issues.  He offer zero upside and can easily be replaced on the waiver wire.  Like Tongs said there's some 1/1/1 guys out there and other players with substantial upside at that point in the draft.