NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sleepers and players to avoid 2017-2018

Rhythms

Does Boban have good perimeter defense? I haven't watched much of him but reading that he's slower and can't keep up with high pace, I'd assume no.

It's a problem Detroit has with Drummond already, so I can't see Boban getting the opportunity for more minutes.. that being said, if he provides what you want in 18 mins, there's no reason to expect more or be disappointed if he doesn't get 20 a night

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, tongs said:

Does Boban have good perimeter defense? I haven't watched much of him but reading that he's slower and can't keep up with high pace, I'd assume no.

It's a problem Detroit has with Drummond already, so I can't see Boban getting the opportunity for more minutes.. that being said, if he provides what you want in 18 mins, there's no reason to expect more or be disappointed if he doesn't get 20 a night

His defense basically consists of throwing his hands in the air, and hoping the ball lands into it, which is surprisingly effective.

Edited by StifleTower2

I don't mind taking a flyer of Tyreke, or any fallen angel type player.  The problem with him specifically is that even when healthy his fantasy game is not friendly, unless he gets a lot of playing time and usage.   15/5/5 with one three and one steal is not entirely out of the question.  The problem is that in order to get those counting stats it will require a ton of usage and he isn't efficient at all.  The last good fantasy season he had, his efficiency splits were: 45%/70 FT%/3 TO.  The fact that he needs high volume to get counting stats only exacerbates the problem.  Worst case scenario, he isn't rosterable due to injury/lack of playing time.  Best case scenario he provides mid-round counting stats while destroying your efficiency, forcing a 3 cat punt.  He could be a good one to take a flyer on if you're already punt FG/FT/TO, if you started with Westbrook/Cousins/ or something like that.   

Markieff Morris (sports hernia) will undergo surgery this Friday and is expected to miss the start of training camp.  There is no timetable for his return and he will have the procedure in St. Louis. He was extremely durable to start his career, but the 28-year-old missed 18 games in 2015-16 and six games in 2016-17. If Morris does need to miss game action, Kelly Oubre, Mike Scott and Jason Smith would likely pick up some extra minutes. Morris is now only a late-round flier in fantasy drafts.

Given his problems with the law and now surgery, does this put him on your DND list?  Who gains the most from this?  Does it elevate Otto Porter in anyone's eyes?

5 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Markieff Morris (sports hernia) will undergo surgery this Friday and is expected to miss the start of training camp.  There is no timetable for his return and he will have the procedure in St. Louis. He was extremely durable to start his career, but the 28-year-old missed 18 games in 2015-16 and six games in 2016-17. If Morris does need to miss game action, Kelly Oubre, Mike Scott and Jason Smith would likely pick up some extra minutes. Morris is now only a late-round flier in fantasy drafts.

Given his problems with the law and now surgery, does this put him on your DND list?  Who gains the most from this?  Does it elevate Otto Porter in anyone's eyes?

No. We don't know if he will get suspended because of the legal stuff because that is ongoing. It could be nothing. Remember, Kieff HATED the Suns and I think a lot of those games missed were phantom injuries. 6 games missed last year is still better than what most people take off for rest. 

Porter doesn't really have a game where he can do too much more on offense than what he does. If Beal was out then I would adjust it. Not Kieff.  

23 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

No. We don't know if he will get suspended because of the legal stuff because that is ongoing. It could be nothing. Remember, Kieff HATED the Suns and I think a lot of those games missed were phantom injuries. 6 games missed last year is still better than what most people take off for rest. 

Porter doesn't really have a game where he can do too much more on offense than what he does. If Beal was out then I would adjust it. Not Kieff.  

Otto may not score much more without Morris, but I think his rebounds could go up. He's a great rebounder at his position, he averaged 8+ rebounds for some time last season

Just now, battaginlemon said:

Otto may not score much more without Morris, but I think his rebounds could go up. He's a great rebounder at his position, he averaged 8+ rebounds for some time last season

Let's just say Kieff gets a 10 game suspension and misses 10 games with injury. Is 20-40 extra rebounds from Otto really enough to move the needle on his ranking?

25 minutes ago, GrandGourou said:

What about Norman Powell ?

He will probably be the 6th man. Miles' ability to shoot 3s is insanely valuable when your top scorer (DeRozan) pretty much only operates on isos and mid range jumpers. Same could be said for Valanciunas: having 3pt shooters on Lowry, Miles and Ibaka is going to free a lot of space for him to operate. I see Miles as a very improved Patterson (fantasy-wise)

Powell is another sleeper though. He'll play some good minutes, and you always have that breakout season possibility.

Edited by Guilhermeneves

On 8/5/2017 at 2:52 AM, Kenny Mack said:

50-60 range for ibaka in standard league seems right. still has the upside to be top 30, especially now playing for a contender. role as the third option feeding of 2 star offensive players is a perfect role for him just like in okc.

The perfect role for Ibaka was playing closer to the basket, keeping his FG% high, and blocking everything. 

Markieff Morris had sports hernia surgery on Friday and is expected to be out 6-8 weeks.

That means he will miss the start of the season and he could miss up to 15 games. Morris had himself a strong 2016-17 season and logged more minutes at center than he had in his previous time with the Wizards. With him out, Jason Smith, Kelly Oubre and Marcin Gortat should pick up some extra minutes. Fantasy owners may not want to draft Morris unless stashing won't hurt.

DND for me.

13 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Markieff Morris had sports hernia surgery on Friday and is expected to be out 6-8 weeks.

That means he will miss the start of the season and he could miss up to 15 games. Morris had himself a strong 2016-17 season and logged more minutes at center than he had in his previous time with the Wizards. With him out, Jason Smith, Kelly Oubre and Marcin Gortat should pick up some extra minutes. Fantasy owners may not want to draft Morris unless stashing won't hurt.

DND for me.

Thanks for positing the info. I think it all depends on your league settings. He is already a mid/late round pick. 15 games with a replacement level player with a good schedule that maybe specializes in your weakness will go by very fast and then you can plug in Kieff. It almost makes him more appealing to me since he will get knocked down a bunch and will come at a better value as a late pick. Also, the hernia isn't concerning like a knee injury that can linger. If he misses 10 more games because of legal woes then I would look at him as a end of draft stash if your build can withstand it and your league settings won't penalize you for stashing him.