NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sleepers and players to avoid 2017-2018

From my limited experience: try to avoid Spurs players (aside from Kawhi to some extent). The uncertainty  of Pop's DNP-Rest is just frustrating. Also, no matter how nice the per game averages are, try avoiding brittle players with like Embiid and Bledsoe. I got burned by both last season; Embiid with season ending injury and Bledsoe being shutdown early.

Edited by jessejesse44
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect  Pop's DNPs to be muted with the longer schedule. And Kawhi isn't an injury concern so I think he's generally fine. 

Like if you asked me between KD and Kawhi who would be sitting more during fantasy playoffs I'd say neither are huge concerns but KD is more of one than Kawhi.

10 hours ago, v1n5anity said:

You expect Gasol to miss 20+ games a year? He missed 18 games last year and 15 were due to injury. Spurs have nothing to do those 15.

I should've made it clearer - potentially miss 20 games.

He's a very nice value pick, but I worry that at age 37 and with Pops rotations and his DNP-CDs, he could still have a handful of 10-12 DNP CDs. This isn't just injury related, it's pops related (that was the entirety of my post, the Spurs rotation).

For the Favors bit, draft at your own risk. People were pointing out on Twitter that even in his "skinny" pics working out in the mountains/park/outdoors with his teammates he's still wearing a knee brace. 

Don't take players' words saying they're 100 percent, Monta Ellis said last year was the best he ever felt physically in years and he was god-awful and a shell of his former self.

The rigours of an 82 game schedule are just that, you only need one flare up and then he's out either the rest of the year or he's in and out of games constantly, or not performing up to par like last year. 

Yes he can be a great pick in the 8th round and beyond, but not at a 6th round valuation.

Edited by Lifschitz
11 hours ago, v1n5anity said:

You expect Gasol to miss 20+ games a year? He missed 18 games last year and 15 were due to injury. Spurs have nothing to do those 15.

oTECOxf.png

Not exactly the model of a healthy player as of late..he flip flops a lot of seasons, looks like if you're playing the every other year game he'll likely play 70 this year. 

Edited by Lifschitz

Favors is my n1 sleeper target, but i'm not quite sure i'll be brave enough to pull the trigger, if have the chance to pick him.

50 games played last year,  the vast majority of which he basically spent hobbling up and down to court. 62 games the previous season.

i guess you need to be in for a gamble..

On 27/09/2017 at 10:12 PM, Lifschitz said:

For the Favors bit, draft at your own risk. People were pointing out on Twitter that even in his "skinny" pics working out in the mountains/park/outdoors with his teammates he's still wearing a knee brace. 

I haven't seen his pictures but if he is still wearing his brace then I would stay away. He might be wearing it as a precaution, but someone out there thinks there is a chance he needs it. Whether it is himself or the medical staff, it ain't good.

Chances are he is going to sit throughout parts of the season with legit "soreness".

When I play basketball (not only for hobby) I always use an ankle brace because I know that back in years i had several injuries on my ankles (espescially in the right) this does not mean that now I have a problem but they are sensitive.. I do not think that anyone thinks that a guy like Favors does not have a sensitive knee... the thing is how sensitive and if besides the sensitivity left is also extra problems

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

I haven't seen his pictures but if he is still wearing his brace then I would stay away. He might be wearing it as a precaution, but someone out there thinks there is a chance he needs it. Whether it is himself or the medical staff, it ain't good.

Chances are he is going to sit throughout parts of the season with legit "soreness".

It's worrisome that he's also lifting weights with a knee brace.. I don't know.. and not only that but that exercise doesn't require you to put one leg up.. and yet he's not putting any weight on that knee whatsoever (you can see him elevating it) to avoid damaging it.  Does anybody think that's a tad weird?

I can understand being cautious like this (even if your knee is back at optimal health), but if he's acting like this now, what's going to happen when he's 40 games into the season? Some thing to think about..

Edited by Lifschitz

Another one in late August.. look how twice he seems to have stability issues on that knee and limps.. people pointed it out as well in the comments section. It's not conclusive at all and could be normal due to the balance of the sand.. but still.. I've seen other NBA players do this (Valanciunas recently) and they didn't have this issue with one of their knees buckling.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

Favors and Harry Giles

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

58 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Another one in late August.. look how twice he seems to have stability issues on that knee and limps.. people pointed it out as well in the comments section. It's not conclusive at all and could be normal due to the balance of the sand.. but still.. I've seen other NBA players do this (Valanciunas recently) and they didn't have this issue with one of their knees buckling.

I think you are reading tea leaves.  Let's see him on the court (soon)

Actually that knee brace is not as bad as I thought. I thought it was those carbonite customized braces. However, He seems to be favoring that knee in the workouts. I'm guessing he has rest days and soreness days.

Plus, you probably get nothing peanuts for him if he turns lame and you need to trade him stay competitive in your league

I feel like TJ Warren could be a huge sleeper this year as long as he maintains is upward development progression and doesn't fall off after getting paid. I'm just not worried about Josh Jackson taking his spot this year and I think JJ is what will depress his price. Perfect setup IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Philzilla said:

I feel like TJ Warren could be a huge sleeper this year as long as he maintains is upward development progression and doesn't fall off after getting paid. I'm just not worried about Josh Jackson taking his spot this year and I think JJ is what will depress his price. Perfect setup IMO. 

Agreed. He just needs to maintain a semblance of what he was doing over the last two months of the season to have value. He was the #28 player over that time and right now his ADP is 128(!). That's not bad.

He also needs to avoid getting another "head injury", whatever that was last year.  

Noel turned down 17mill from Mavs which has me thinking either his calculator broke or he doesn't wanna stay. If that's the case then Mavs might invest some of his playing time to others. Why would he turn down 17mill a year for 4yrs?!? ?

On 9/30/2017 at 1:37 AM, rob0403 said:

Actually that knee brace is not as bad as I thought. I thought it was those carbonite customized braces. However, He seems to be favoring that knee in the workouts. I'm guessing he has rest days and soreness days.

One could say Derrick favors that knee 

21 hours ago, prefuse1 said:

Mario Chalmers a sleeper? I'm not watching the game but from the box scores, he looks productive.

DONT DO IT.

It's one game. It's preseason. It's Mario Chalmers.