NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Sleepers and players to avoid 2017-2018

Rhythms

5 hours ago, papocrain said:

Stanley Johnson should be in the mix for sleepers this season.

Most definitely, but just expect that he could be simply a points guy with some 3's and steals and assists and blocks sprinkled in (but very low end on all those fronts). 

He could hurt your percentages while not being overly helpful in any one category outside of PPG for where he was drafted (likely last round).

Definitely worth a flier if you couldn't get a high upside guy in your final round though. Though this year I doubt it because the league is so deep, I mean heck we got Alex Len, Jordan Clarkson, Kuzma, Denzel Valentine, and many others sitting on my waiver wire in my 12 man H2H. Reggie Jackson just got scooped up, so even a former top-notch PG with injury concerns wasn't taken, that tells you something about the depth of the NBA.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Pistons... I'm sure someone had to say this already, but I'm too lazy to read all the way back. But Ish Smith is another sleeper for deep leagues. Thinking about picking him up myself. No way R-Jax can handle a 30+ minute workload for now on.

I am here asking to expound situation with Miami Heat backcourt. It is related to current topic, because I think Tyler Johnson is the main sleeper. There is 144 minutes for three positions (PG, SG, SF) and a slight possibility that even James Johnson can play some minutes at SF. If Dragic plays 30+ minutes then my calculation left 25-28 minutes to Josh Richardson, Waiters and T. Johnson, 15-20 minutes to McGruder and Winslow. But Rotoworld seems not to believe on T. Johnson minutes (quote: Johnson looks more like a deep-league handcuff to Dragic than anything else). Is my calculation right or Tyler Johnson is really not a sleeper?

Edited by apatas

2 hours ago, apatas said:

I am here asking to expound situation with Miami Heat backcourt. It is related to current topic, because I think Tyler Johnson is the main sleeper. There is 144 minutes for three positions (PG, SG, SF) and a slight possibility that even James Johnson can play some minutes at SF. If Dragic plays 30+ minutes then my calculation left 25-28 minutes to Josh Richardson, Waiters and T. Johnson, 15-20 minutes to McGruder and Winslow. But Rotoworld seems not to believe on T. Johnson minutes (quote: Johnson looks more like a deep-league handcuff to Dragic than anything else). Is my calculation right or Tyler Johnson is really not a sleeper?

Interesting question. I drafted TJ with my 12th pick and I think he can have an equally good season to the last....would I count on it? Not really...but if one of the wings goes down, it's on!

Seen a lot of Derrick Favors talk. He does have potential sleeper value as he should see a good amount of minutes and get some scoring opps. Problem I think Gobert is becoming more and more the offensive force. So the pick and rolls are going to Gobert and not Favors. Sadly Favors doesn't just have the explosion he once had. He'll probably be on  minute restriction too so he can make it through the season. Is he worth a pick late? Yes, but be prepared for some DNP's and inconsistent play.

11 hours ago, DM45 said:

Seen a lot of Derrick Favors talk. He does have potential sleeper value as he should see a good amount of minutes and get some scoring opps. Problem I think Gobert is becoming more and more the offensive force. So the pick and rolls are going to Gobert and not Favors. Sadly Favors doesn't just have the explosion he once had. He'll probably be on  minute restriction too so he can make it through the season. Is he worth a pick late? Yes, but be prepared for some DNP's and inconsistent play.

Favors isn't primarily a pnr player.  He's one of the best midrange big men in the league, certainly the best on the Jazz.  When he returned from injury last season he destroyed the LAC with his 10-15 foot jumpers and his return was a cardinal reason the Jazz won that series.   I do think Gobert impacts him negatively but I think the more the pair play together the further away from the basket Favors will get.  This may impact his FG% negatively but I think his scoring will remain in the teens, which was his historical average prior to injury last season.  I still think he will be in the neighborhood of 16/8 with 1.5+bpg/1 spg on below average percentages.

5 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Milos is so good and so heavily drafted now that I don't think he can qualify as a sleeper.  He is being drafted inside the top 100 and almost certainly will produce that value, with potential for coming close to top 50 value.

Just grabbed him out of free agency

24 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Favors isn't primarily a pnr player.  He's one of the best midrange big men in the league, certainly the best on the Jazz.  When he returned from injury last season he destroyed the LAC with his 10-15 foot jumpers and his return was a cardinal reason the Jazz won that series.   I do think Gobert impacts him negatively but I think the more the pair play together the further away from the basket Favors will get.  This may impact his FG% negatively but I think his scoring will remain in the teens, which was his historical average prior to injury last season.  I still think he will be in the neighborhood of 16/8 with 1.5+bpg/1 spg on below average percentages.

With the way the Jazz are constructed, Favors makes so much more sense off the bench. The starters are perfect for pace and space, which doesn't help Favors for fantasy, however helps the Jazz tremendously in real life. Rubio, Hood, Ingles, Johnson, Gobert is super spacey. 

Kind of the way the Randolph came off the bench in Memphis or West with the Warriors, when Gobert is off the court, they can play change up in style, would make them a lot more dynamic team to have a guy like Favors off the bench. But, not good news for fantasy, I think this will happen eventually because the roster just doesn't make sense with him as a starter. 

I think he's more like 11/5 type guy, he's talented enough to get more points, but the Jazz may opt for more 3 point shooting now with Rubio. 

1 minute ago, worldclass said:

With the way the Jazz are constructed, Favors makes so much more sense off the bench. The starters are perfect for pace and space, which doesn't help Favors for fantasy, however helps the Jazz tremendously in real life. Rubio, Hood, Ingles, Johnson, Gobert is super spacey. 

Kind of the way the Randolph came off the bench in Memphis or West with the Warriors, when Gobert is off the court, they can play change up in style, would make them a lot more dynamic team to have a guy like Favors off the bench. But, not good news for fantasy, I think this will happen eventually because the roster just doesn't make sense with him as a starter. 

I think he's more like 11/5 type guy, he's talented enough to get more points, but the Jazz may opt for more 3 point shooting now with Rubio. 

It probably makes more sense to bring him off the bench like they did in the LAC series but I don't think that will impact his value too negatively.  I also think people underestimate his range.  It doesn't quite extend to the 3 point line yet but he can easily operate out of the high post.  I think perceptions are shaded by the pace and space era today and modern motion offenses.  Compared to players like K Love he doesn't have too much range.  But if you compare Favors to PFs historically, he has enough range to qualify as a stretch four.  He's one of the most skilled big men in the game from the high post so I don't think he clogs the paint too much with Gobert.

46 minutes ago, Cbridge617 said:

Whats the deal with parsons?

He is finished. He will never be back to his previous form or even close , sadly. At least he got paid.

Teodosic is going too high based on pre season play . He is a good passer but on defense he is a joke on the level of Calderon.

Edited by Rainsford
Forgot

8 minutes ago, Rainsford said:

He is finished. He will never be back to his previous form or even close , sadly. At least he got paid.

Teodosic is going too high based on pre season play . He is a good passer but on defense he is a joke on the level of Calderon.

Not sure of your point....Calderon was very good in fantasy during his prime.  Teodosic will put up #s similar to a prime Calderon.

12 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Also, defense is irrelevant in fantasy.  Stocks matter, but defense in general doesn't matter.

It matters if he wants to stay on the court. If opposing pgs are blowing by him and torching him left and right then P Bev is gonna be taking his mins. This guy is 31 in a couple months already so I wasn't comparing him to prime Calderon. 

Edited by Rainsford

44 minutes ago, Rainsford said:

It matters if he wants to stay on the court. If opposing pgs are blowing by him and torching him left and right then P Bev is gonna be taking his mins. This guy is 31 in a couple months already so I wasn't comparing him to prime Calderon. 

Beverly is injury prone and not really a true point guard. I think they'll end up having to play Teodosic a fair share of minutes either way.

6 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I'm just saying he's seeing less and less PnR opportunities, that's going to hurt his overall value  as he was a great PnR player especially early in his career. I really hope Favors has a great season, apparently he has had a great offseason and is getting himself back to where he needs to be physically. He's also in a contract year.