NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jesse Winker 2017 Outlook

I'm excited about him for points leagues, since he doesn't strike out a lot and has shown a high walk rate in the minors. I wouldn't expect too much power, though. Maybe a Christian Yelich-lite type guy, which might not be too exciting in standard formats.

3 minutes ago, kvnnn said:

I'm excited about him for points leagues, since he doesn't strike out a lot and has shown a high walk rate in the minors. I wouldn't expect too much power, though. Maybe a Christian Yelich-lite type guy, which might not be too exciting in standard formats.

Good enough for me... added haha... all I honestly know about him is he is one of the Reds' top prospects, so worth a shot (as long as he is playing) -- ESPN's write up on him seems to think he's going to play regularly

Rotoworld blurb makes it sound like a temporary stay...

Reds recalled outfielder Jesse Winker from Triple-A Louisville.

Winker is up to make his major league debut after hitting .323/.421/.387 in eight games for Louisville. It figures to be a short stay; the Reds don't have a major role for him right now and they'd rather he play regularly in Triple-A than get a handful of at-bats per week in the majors. He's likely to get a longer look in the second half.

Is he called up to replace Schebler in RF or not ? That is the question. They are both lefties so no platoon in play.

Edited by fletch44
4 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Rotoworld blurb makes it sound like a temporary stay...

Reds recalled outfielder Jesse Winker from Triple-A Louisville.

Winker is up to make his major league debut after hitting .323/.421/.387 in eight games for Louisville. It figures to be a short stay; the Reds don't have a major role for him right now and they'd rather he play regularly in Triple-A than get a handful of at-bats per week in the majors. He's likely to get a longer look in the second half.

Is he called up to replace Schebler in RF or not ? That is the question. They are both lefties so no platoon in play.

They demoted a RP and Schebler hasn't been terrible, so I'd say 'no'.

4 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

They demoted a RP and Schebler hasn't been terrible, so I'd say 'no'.

If that is the case then it doesn't seem like he'll have more than a bit role and basically no fantasy value (for now) outside of dynasty of course.

Edited by fletch44

Head2Head sports:

Scott Schebler is likely in line for a major dip in playing time following the promotion of Jesse Winker from Triple-A on Friday.

Impact

Winker may be a better long-term fit in left field, but that is Adam Duvall's domain for now, and Winker has been playing primarily right field at Triple-A, so he will likely displace Schebler. The Reds didn't call up their second-best prospect to split playing time, so Schebler seems to be ticketed for a fourth outfielder role going forward.

6 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

If that is the case then it doesn't seem like he'll have more than a bit role and basically no fantasy value (for now) outside of dynasty of course.

It's a curious move so early.  Sort of creates an OF logjam now.  Duvall and Hamilton are not sitting, so Schebler would make the most sense.  Maybe Winker forces his way into the lineup often, but I wouldn't be surprised if Winker is back in AAA by Sunday when the Reds need a new starter...but maybe he sticks around and Reed, who is already on the team, gets the starting nod.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Winker is regarded as the Reds best hitting prospect, so it can't hurt to take a flyer if you have the room to spare on your bench.

Edited by Yceman1234
6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

what makes him interesting?

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=jesse-winker

last year in AAA in 380 AB he had 3 HR. just a down season?

2015 in AA in 443 AB he had 13 HR.

I agree. I don't see anything in his minor league stats that look too appealing from a fantasy standpoint without much power/speed. He looks like he has above average plate discipline and contact skills. I guess any outfielder playing full time in that ballpark warrants some consideration but I don't have any easy drops to add him to any of my teams.

Winker can definitely hit for average. Hard to say how much power he will hit for. Like someone said, it dipped last year. GABP is a good park for power though. This lineup has been a pleasant surprise so far. If nothing else, should see plenty of RBI opportunities and runs scored as long as the playing time is there. 

I see this, and it talks about last year.

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/04/14/cincinnati-reds-call-jesse-winker/

There are plenty of things that Jesse Winker does well at the plate. He can and does use the entire field. His plate approach is very strong – he’s walked more in Triple-A than he’s struck out over the last two seasons. He can hit for average. The one question, at least lately, has been if he’ll find his power again. He dealt with a wrist injury last season for Louisville and in his 486 career Triple-A plate appearances he’s had just three home runs.The park in Louisville plays a lot bigger than Great American Ballpark does, and that should help (340 down the line in Louisville, 325 in Cincinnati and that doesn’t account for the wind tunnel that pushes things out to right field with ease). Still, if there’s a question with Winker at this point, it’s with just how much his power will play.

I also see this write up..

https://fantasyassembly.com/2017/02/10/2017-top-30-outfield-prospects/

What prospect could make a surprising contribution
to fantasy teams in 2017?

Andy: Jesse Winker has very little standing in his way to providing solid numbers this season. I don’t see Winker as a league winner or anything like that, but .280 and a 20-25 home run pace should be good enough. I wasn’t buying on him as a guy who could hit for average; then he hit .303, but with next to no power. Winker battled a wrist injury last year and it could have been the reason for the drop in power. When he gets called up (I would expect once the deadlines pass) he can be a nice contributor to a fantasy roster. In leagues where less than 50 outfielders are owned he might not be a hot commodity, but 12-team roto where 60 or more outfielders are started he will be useful.

Edited by SpecialFNK
3 hours ago, taobball said:

I think people underrate Winker's power after last year. I think he's still going to be a pretty good bat. 

Agreed. There was a lot of Winker doubt going on in the Schebler thread when people were talking him up as a sneaky fantasy power play. 

The guy had a wrist injury, it is completely understandable that his power would be sapped, but as long as he continues to hit for average and maintain an elite walk rate he will have plenty of fantasy value in that park if given play time. He's still young and the fundamentals are there, the power will come. 

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

could Winker be seen as comparable to Mazara? LH bat with good AVG and some (20ish) power?

Winker has shown some in the minors.

Mazara is way more talented of a player. (Maybe not to you). Winkler is a much lower-upside player. 

I am and have been really high on Winker for a while. He's playing in a much more hitter-friendly park than in AAA and he had a wrist injury. This guy simply rakes, I think he's being slept on because he's not a pure power prospect and not likely to go yard 20+ times, but he's 23 with great approach at the plate, polished patience and a high contact rate. In 2014 (A+/AA) he posted a .399 OBP, in 2015 (AA) he posted a .390 OBP with 15 bombs, and last year with a wrist injury he had .397 OBP in Triple-A. This season he's continued the trend with a .421 OBP (limited sample as it is).

The man gets on base and has a plus hit tool. Especially in OBP/OPS leagues he's one to watch, I immediately added and am hoping for the best. Been a few for a long time.

Jesse Winker could be optioned back to Triple-A Louisville on Sunday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Impact

The Reds are saying that Winker was just brought up to fill out the bench for a couple days – Winker is out of the lineup Friday against the Brewers after being called up. A roster spot will be needed for Sal Romano, Sunday's starter against Milwaukee, and it's possible Winker loses his spot as manager Bryan Price has been adamant that his starting outfield is set with Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton and Scott Schebler. It seems inevitable that Winker will replace Schebler in the regular lineup eventually, but it may not be right away.

4 minutes ago, billofwa said:

Jesse Winker could be optioned back to Triple-A Louisville on Sunday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Impact

The Reds are saying that Winker was just brought up to fill out the bench for a couple days – Winker is out of the lineup Friday against the Brewers after being called up. A roster spot will be needed for Sal Romano, Sunday's starter against Milwaukee, and it's possible Winker loses his spot as manager Bryan Price has been adamant that his starting outfield is set with Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton and Scott Schebler. It seems inevitable that Winker will replace Schebler in the regular lineup eventually, but it may not be right away.

well that sucks.

I don't like this. why bring up Winker instead of someone else who might be more useful for a couple days.

48 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

well that sucks.

I don't like this. why bring up Winker instead of someone else who might be more useful for a couple days.

I know this isn't complely on topic but wonder who is more likely to stay up, Winker or Tapia... both may be sent back down but if I had to guess I'd say Winker. 

2 minutes ago, wh3931110 said:

I know this isn't complely on topic but wonder who is more likely to stay up, Winker or Tapia... both may be sent back down but if I had to guess I'd say Winker. 

in a 16 team league I happened to grab them both.

I was thinking Tapia could stay up longer, only because the Rockies also put Gray on the DL along with Parra on the paternity list. I could understand calling up Tapia in that case. typically I would prefer not calling up a top prospect just for a few games and then back down, where that could be a negative on a player's routine/streak.

hoping/wishing they both stay.

On the bench vs. a RHP. Time to cut bait. Likely headed back to AAA to make room for Romano tomorrow. Such a waste of a roster move bringing this kid up now. Way to go Reds reminding us of your futility as an organization. Next, Romano will pitch lights out tomorrow, then go back to minors too so Arroyo can pad the Orioles hitters' fantasy stats next week.