NBC Sports Edge Forums

Replacing the Save with the Goose Egg

"A pitcher gets a goose egg for a clutch, scoreless relief inning. Specifically, he gets credit for throwing a scoreless inning when it’s the seventh inning or later and the game is tied or his team leads by no more than two runs. A pitcher can get more than one goose egg in a game, so pitching three clutch scoreless innings counts three times as much as one inning does."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/goose-egg-new-save-stat-relief-pitchers/?addata=espn:frontpage

I actually agree with much of this. The save is a joke, and many managers are really starting to understand the value of high leverage guys in the 7th & 8th, as well as guys that throw multiple innings (see: Andrew Miller & Chris Devanski). 

Is this a stat of the future?

I'd be ok with it.  Fantasy Platforms would have to add it, and if they did, I'd be willing to play in a league that had it as a stat.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised there aren't a handful of "Rotoworld Forums" leagues with highly tailored settings for all of us to geek out to and play in.

Interesting concept, but I dunno. Part of it is the enduring mystique of The Closer. Baseball has encouraged a whole aura around these characters. The "save situation" is one of the few exciting moments in a game that lacks a whole lot of oomph. So if you're up in the last inning, The Closer comes in, walks up to his pre-selected song, does that weird crouch thing with arms akimbo (Kimbrel-edition), or yells at the ball (Al Hrbosky-edition), or throws 250 pmh (Chapman-edition), the crowd remains standing, and goes nuts when he K's the side. I could take or leave the save as a stat, but the idea of a Closer who gets Saves isn't going away anytime soon I don't think.

I love the idea.  That scatter plot of correlation with win probability added as compared to saves says a lot.  Of course now that saves (er, I'm sorry, "games finished") are part of ace reliever contracts, it's hard to imagine this could happen anytime soon without the player's union resisting it.

The name is paying homage to HoF relief pitcher Goose Gossage (all time leader in "Goose Eggs")

The goose egg properly rewards the contributions made by Gossage and other “firemen” of his era, who regularly threw two or three innings at a time, often came into the game with runners on base, and routinely pitched in tie games and not just in save situations.3 I’ve calculated goose eggs for all seasons since 19304 — plus select seasons since 1921 — based on play-by-play data from Retrosheet. While Gossage ranks only 23rd in major league history with 310 saves, he’s the lifetime leader in goose eggs (677) — ahead of Rivera and every other modern closer.

56 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Give it a less stupid name

Agreed.  A goose egg?

How about just call it a High Leverage Hold.  That's essentially what it is, right?

"Devinski led the league in HLHs last year".  Sounds about right.

1 minute ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I'm such a huge fan of this.

Goose > SVHD >>> Saves

I agree entirely. Case in point, when a stud 8th inning guy like Neris comes in and pitches a scoreless inning in a tie game. There's no hold. There's no save, but what he did is very valuable and should be rewarded as such. I love this.

51 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

How about the reliever gets a star or perhaps a smiley face instead?

They should be given a banana sticker to wear on their hat.

58 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

The name is paying homage to HoF relief pitcher Goose Gossage (all time leader in "Goose Eggs")

The goose egg properly rewards the contributions made by Gossage and other “firemen” of his era, who regularly threw two or three innings at a time, often came into the game with runners on base, and routinely pitched in tie games and not just in save situations.3 I’ve calculated goose eggs for all seasons since 19304 — plus select seasons since 1921 — based on play-by-play data from Retrosheet. While Gossage ranks only 23rd in major league history with 310 saves, he’s the lifetime leader in goose eggs (677) — ahead of Rivera and every other modern closer.

I don't care what the rationale is, this is worse than when Zach Lowe was trying to get everyone to nickname New Orleans the Pellies. If Nate is serious about reforming bullpen duties, he'd need to make the name remotely marketable.

Archived