NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jonathan Lucroy 2017 Outlook

Regardless if people had him ranked as 1C, 2C, 3C, etc before the season, this is one of those cases where everyone would have agreed Lucroy would be an above average fantasy catcher this year, and all the signs pointed to a good year:

- sustained success over multiple seasons

- hits for good contact/AVG and decent pop

- hitting in a potent lineup

- hitting in a hitters ballpark

- was successful in TEX after coming over at the deadline last year

- no preseason injury concerns reported

More or less he seemed like a very safe pick, and one of the highest floor catchers you could take. This is just one of those cases where a guy that had everything going for him didn't work out. 

I don't mind being burned on a riskier pick because that's the price you pay for upside sometimes, but it's the worst when you take a guy like this for his floor and "plug and play" ability at a position nobody wants to think about, and then he puts up a big turd like he has so far. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever take a dump so big you walk around like you're floating on air for the next 30 minutes?  That's how I felt yesterday trading away this guy.  What a relief.

Oh, by the way, he's resting again today.  Good luck fellas

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Ever take a dump so big you walk around like you're floating on air for the next 30 minutes?  That's how I felt yesterday trading away this guy.  What a relief.

Oh, by the way, he's resting again today.  Good luck fellas

Know exactly what you mean. Sent him to the waivers. Grabbed Contreras with the departure of Montero. So freeing.

I don't know how you guys are getting returns like that for him. 16 team dynasty league with 58 man rosters and what few offers I get are for guys who are barely rosterable. Regardless, what an absolute nightmare of a 1st half it has been.

38 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I don't know how you guys are getting returns like that for him. 16 team dynasty league with 58 man rosters and what few offers I get are for guys who are barely rosterable. Regardless, what an absolute nightmare of a 1st half it has been.

I agree. No one in my league would touch him. All I could get for him was Avila by trading with Mr. Waiver Wire. He went 0-3 today but did score a run so he's already outperforming Lucroy

I too finally gave up on him and I wish I would have done it sooner. The only guy on my WW worth adding at the position was Zunino but he's actually doing something offensively. Even though he's rested nearly as much as Lucroy has the last month he's put up more HR and RBI than Lucroy has all year. Man it felt good to get him off my roster. 

9 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I too finally gave up on him and I wish I would have done it sooner. The only guy on my WW worth adding at the position was Zunino but he's actually doing something offensively. Even though he's rested nearly as much as Lucroy has the last month he's put up more HR and RBI than Lucroy has all year. Man it felt good to get him off my roster. 

I grabbed Avila and have been riding him lately. Still have Lucroy, but will probably drop soon. Sucks, because I was really looking forward to some offense from C. Ramos last year spoiled me.

This has been a real tough situation for me.  The guy has to be hiding an injury.  In a perfect world, he clears his head and starts doing something in the second half.  I just wish we knew the root of the struggles here so we could act accordingly.  Ramos is available and the Schwarber owner just cut bait but I just can't seem to pull the trigger.  I'm giving him a little time after the break to prove he's Jonathan Lucroy again but my hospitality will run out soon.  (This method would work every year I rostered the music man at catcher).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really considering dropping this guy, I have Ramos too so it's an easier drop than a couple weeks ago. Just hate dropping a C who typically hit .275-300 with decent HR/RBIs. I know he's not on pace to put up the kind of numbers he has in his better years, but sometimes when a guy struggles so bad, he goes on a killer carry you team type run often during the second half. While he isn't going to approach his best years, in short stretches second half could get hot and put up monster numbers, also got the 1B/IF so gives another perk to keeping him around. There are other FAs who would help me more though and guys coming off the DL I need room for so I dunno. 

Most of you guys dropped especially if you found a Ramos or other option, or a lot of you still holding ?

I don't see how having 1B eligibility helps in any way.  

Thank goodness I don't roster this guy this year, but if I did, I would've dropped him weeks ago.  July is plenty long to wait a guy of this caliber out.

On 7/8/2017 at 11:11 AM, 89Topps said:

I don't see how having 1B eligibility helps in any way.  

Thank goodness I don't roster this guy this year, but if I did, I would've dropped him weeks ago.  July is plenty long to wait a guy of this caliber out.

came here to ask this

so there is absolutely no reason to own this guy in any league now right?

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

came here to ask this

so there is absolutely no reason to own this guy in any league now right?

If your league goes deep enough he's still owned, but it's getting to that point of deep league only. I had to drop him in a semi deep league, where usually upside is owned no matter how bad current results are, and he's still sitting there. 

2C leagues I assume can't drop either, but I've never played in one. 

23 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

If your league goes deep enough he's still owned, but it's getting to that point of deep league only. I had to drop him in a semi deep league, where usually upside is owned no matter how bad current results are, and he's still sitting there. 

2C leagues I assume can't drop either, but I've never played in one. 

ya i shouldnt have said "any" league

but standard 12 team or even 1 catcher deep 12 teams hes tough to own.  really not 1 good stat

I think it really depends on the league if you hold him or not.  He's back around the 30th overall catcher so far on the year, which is pretty horrible, but the statistical difference between #12 and #30 C is pretty minimal.  The top 12 C's are all pretty substantially better, but after that you get into the questionable talent/questionable PT group of guys like Barnes, Hedges, Cervelli, Zunino, etc.

If I had one of the top 12, or Ramos, I wouldn't likely waste my time with Lucroy - even top catcher numbers ROS are likely weaker than a WW bat you can plug into your UT / random holes, so it makes it hard to hold him as a 2nd C (in 1 C leagues).  However if you missed out on the current top 12 and you're running through the Cervelli / Hedges gauntlet then you might as well take a chance on Lucroy's potential IMO, because even if he continues to stink, he won't be that much worse than a best-case scenario Cervelli.

2 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

He's sitting the first game out of the break ? SMFH.

There is no bottom for Lucroy this season. He's that place under the driver's seat in your car where things disappear forever, never to be seen again.

Edited by High&Inside
1 hour ago, mtblock said:

Three hits in three days, and the man gets a fourth start in a row! He's on fire!

/s

He was just dropped in my 10-teamer too.. Has a nice day today and I'll scoop him

• 2 weeks later...

I play in a H2H points league and I honestly believe i could've left the catcher spot empty all year instead of starting this guy and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.  He's been consistently bad every week the entire year.  I kinda hope he doesn't get traded so I can just drop him and be done with it.  If he goes to Col I'll be forced to keep him around for another few weeks.