NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Strategy Thread

auri

I don't think this is bench coach but apologies if it's determined to be so. While I'm obviously using my team as the example, this is something that I'm sure will apply to many leagues out there.

My league is on CBS and our games are weekly (lineups lock Mondays). Our team roster breakdown is 17 starters, 8 bench, 4 minor league, 1 DL, for a maximum number of players on any given team at any given moment at 30. Obviously, not everyone uses all of those spots. What I've been doing is running an 11 player major league bench during the week (I've had Berrios legally in a minors slot). My lineup shows as illegal but since the lineup locked on Monday for that week's game there are no repercussions so long as I have my lineup back down to a legal number come the following Monday when lineups lock for that week's game.

So what I do is drop 3 players 5 minutes before lineups lock on Monday and then pick them back up a few minutes after lineups lock (we have no waivers in my league, it's the wild west). Essentially, I'm gaining an advantage by extending my bench 3 spots. I can grab potential closer candidates and hold them to see what shakes out and make a decision a week later based on what has developed. I can grab a hot waiver pitcher and see how he does in a few starts and then decide if I want to keep him or not. There's clearly a number of different advantages to this.

This isn't complicated and based on the way CBS is set up (I'm not familiar with ESPN or Yahoo) I certainly can't be the only person using this loop hole to their advantage.

First, I'd like to get people's opinion on the legality issue of this and then also I'd like to hear from other owners that perhaps employ this technique to see how prevalent it is. As of right now, no one in my league has commented to me about it. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

I don't think this is bench coach but apologies if it's determined to be so. While I'm obviously using my team as the example, this is something that I'm sure will apply to many leagues out there.

My league is on CBS and our games are weekly (lineups lock Mondays). Our team roster breakdown is 17 starters, 8 bench, 4 minor league, 1 DL, for a maximum number of players on any given team at any given moment at 30. Obviously, not everyone uses all of those spots. What I've been doing is running an 11 player major league bench during the week (I've had Berrios legally in a minors slot). My lineup shows as illegal but since the lineup locked on Monday for that week's game there are no repercussions so long as I have my lineup back down to a legal number come the following Monday when lineups lock for that week's game.

So what I do is drop 3 players 5 minutes before lineups lock on Monday and then pick them back up a few minutes after lineups lock (we have no waivers in my league, it's the wild west). Essentially, I'm gaining an advantage by extending my bench 3 spots. I can grab potential closer candidates and hold them to see what shakes out and make a decision a week later based on what has developed. I can grab a hot waiver pitcher and see how he does in a few starts and then decide if I want to keep him or not. There's clearly a number of different advantages to this.

This isn't complicated and based on the way CBS is set up (I'm not familiar with ESPN or Yahoo) I certainly can't be the only person using this loop hole to their advantage.

First, I'd like to get people's opinion on the legality issue of this and then also I'd like to hear from other owners that perhaps employ this technique to see how prevalent it is. As of right now, no one in my league has commented to me about it. 

Legality? 

Sounds like you're exploiting something that every one of your leaguemates is also capable of exploiting. I see no issue because nothing is unfair. 

If they have a problem with it down the road, they can change it (preferably in the offseason). 

7 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

seems fair to me since anyone can do it. The fact that CBS calls it "illegal" I guess could be the hitch. But to me that just means it will be illegal on Monday. Not that it is right at that moment.

I guess I might be missing something since you didn't exactly explain what the "repercussions" are for not fixing it by Monday.

15 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

Nothing really wrong with it other than faulty set up by your commissioner.  

Ideas to improve would be:

* No pick ups after lineups lock

* Some sort of waiver wire that gets processed on Monday mornings so you can then set your lineup. 

* Allow pickups but if you add anyone you must drop a player correspondingly  

15 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I guess I might be missing something since you didn't exactly explain what the "repercussions" are for not fixing it by Monday.

Illegal rosters score zero points for the week.

Everyone in the league is very happy with the no waivers process. We've been without it for many years now and are accustomed to being able to get the add/drop notification of a league mate and running to pick up someone that was just dropped. So I can say for certain that no one is interested in implementing any kind of waivers process. I would even go so far as to say that the waivers process is loathed.

In a league without waivers, I guess the expectation is that you'd be watching things closely close to 24/7. So I guess I'm surprised you're the only guy using this loophole.

Maybe you should just ask the rest of them if you're worried it's bugging them.

3 hours ago, GrapeJuice said:

This is how I read this  ---You mention in your league roster you are suppose to have (4 minor leaguers) on your team. You don't so you are not following the rules. What you are doing is called -- stuffing your roster. Which gives you unfair advantage of your other leaguemates. 

that is why you are getting an illegal lineup ... I am surprised CBS doesn't lock after the first game started on Monday. Makes no sense 

if your leaguemates haven't seen what you are doing so be it.....some other leaguemate should have seen you were picking up players after lock and checked your roster....

you telling us about this so I can assume you know you are doing something illegal

What is the theory behind going closers heavy? One team in my (roto) league has almost as many saves as the second and third ranked teams in that category. This guy has 9 relievers on his roster, all closers or set up men. All he does is pick up relievers on the waiver wire--despite ranking low in almost every category, especially the hitting ones. Is this sheer madness or is there a method to it? 

• 1 month later...

yes - if you spend a lot of draft dollars/early picks filling up your offensive roster .. there shouldn't be a whole lot of maneuvering/interchanging between bench bats and starters. Thus you can use the entirety of your bench on high upside SPs & RPs. 

I am doing that in a 14-Cat H2H 10 Team Keeper League. Currently in 1st Place and my bats are all underperforming (via trade/keeper)

Miggy, Carlos Santana, Haniger, Adam Jones, Altuve, Story, Machado, CarGo, Kris Bryant, Upton... Totally Disgusting

SPs arent that great either

McCullers, Bundy, Pineda, Walker, Hendricks, Newcomb, Shields, Straily, Guerra, Lugo, Lively

My Saving grace has been Devenski, Bradley, Kimbrel, Jansen

I thought bats were gonna be my strength, but its my staff!

I do this is my points league, but we don't have huge benches anyway.

I find it more valuable to have more pitchersand grab the 2-start guys as they can get 20+ pts in one game whereas offensive players arent as valuable unless they're elite level. I've even run with no catcher + no bench bats.

Might be more unique to my league tho as we have all positions + MI/CI + 5 OF + UTIL

41 minutes ago, illasakhil said:

I am doing that in a 14-Cat H2H 10 Team Keeper League. Currently in 1st Place and my bats are all underperforming (via trade/keeper)

Miggy, Carlos Santana, Haniger, Adam Jones, Altuve, Story, Machado, CarGo, Kris Bryant, Upton... Totally Disgusting

SPs arent that great either

McCullers, Bundy, Pineda, Walker, Hendricks, Newcomb, Shields, Straily, Guerra, Lugo, Lively

My Saving grace has been Devenski, Bradley, Kimbrel, Jansen

I thought bats were gonna be my strength, but its my staff!

I'm in a very similar league style so good to see it's working for you.  

I had been a proponent of small/no bench bats and lots of pitching in the past, but this year I've changed my strategy.  Especially in leagues with more starting spots (CI/MI/etc) I find even with 2-3 bench bats I always have to make a couple swaps a night to get a full lineup in when you take into account rest days and minor injuries.  I've found a lot more success in batting categories when I can keep more bats in the lineup on a nightly basis.

I also find it's just easier to have one "streamer" pitching spot and rotate through adds and drops each day for that spot if / when my ratios go down the tube and I YOLO it the rest of the week.  This strategy all depends on league settings (how many adds, daily rosters, etc) but it has worked for me.

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

I had been a proponent of small/no bench bats and lots of pitching in the past, but this year I've changed my strategy.  Especially in leagues with more starting spots (CI/MI/etc) I find even with 2-3 bench bats I always have to make a couple swaps a night to get a full lineup in when you take into account rest days and minor injuries.  I've found a lot more success in batting categories when I can keep more bats in the lineup on a nightly basis.

I also find it's just easier to have one "streamer" pitching spot and rotate through adds and drops each day for that spot if / when my ratios go down the tube and I YOLO it the rest of the week.  This strategy all depends on league settings (how many adds, daily rosters, etc) but it has worked for me.

I still don't agree with this method, I think you have too many wasted games on days when everybody or 1 guy sits from your usual lineup. I still find exactly 1 bench bat to be the ideal scenario. More often than not, when streaming one spot for starters and having a billion relievers, I compete in hitting stats and ratios and win all counting stats, at worst. I'd lose some form of that pitching counting stat advantage with another bench bat or 2 and probably gain next to nothing.

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

Won't you have way too many pitchers then?

A reliever on your bench is a waste.

Yield. That's the name of the game. Gotta put your roster spots to work.

You get enough relievers to fill out all your RP/P slots (or maybe leave 1 vacant). Having relievers on your bench is obviously nonsensical.

That's usually my goal - to go with 0 bench bats، but I don't draft any pitchers until all the batting spots have been filled، however، I usually end up picking up a couple of extra bench bats that are hard to resist throughout the season. Right now only 1 out of 4 of my teams have 0 bench bats، 1 has 1، and 2 have 2

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I still don't agree with this method, I think you have too many wasted games on days when everybody or 1 guy sits from your usual lineup. I still find exactly 1 bench bat to be the ideal scenario. More often than not, when streaming one spot for starters and having a billion relievers, I compete in hitting stats and ratios and win all counting stats, at worst. I'd lose some form of that pitching counting stat advantage with another bench bat or 2 and probably gain next to nothing.

I think it's very league-dependent.  In my league that uses CI / MI / 5 OF / 1 UT it seems like I can never have enough bench bats - I currently have 2 and would like to have a 3rd once I decide which pitchers are keepers and which I will cut loose.  In another league that only has 10 total bats starting I can get away with 1-2 bench bats easier.  

I also find RP's in weekly H2H are somewhat less valuable . . . on a weekly basis my ratios are either quite good and I don't really need the extra bump, or my ratios are blown up by Wednesday and 2-3 IP from a RP aren't going to save me.  I could see it being a more stabilizing factor in Roto, but in H2H you need several good RPs to bring you back from a SP blowup in a one week sample size.

I've rolled with no more than two bench bats in my money H2H 12 teamer and am currently in 1st place with the next closest team at 18.5 games back. 

When you hit on most of your picks and make good pickups the strategy works really well. 

Archived