NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Strategy Thread

auri

1 hour ago, The Answer said:

I usually have one bat on my bench but with how terrible pitching has been this year I've considered using that spot for another reliever. Anyone ever have success with this strategy?

Most of the owners in the top of the standings in my league roll with no bench bats, you can really gain an edge in the pitching stats if you've got a decent group of bats. I'm currently no bench and no catcher. 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about value and how your roster is built.  I will say that it is always a plus to keep 2 or 3 somewhat fluid spots in your roster for call-ups/breakouts/hot streaks.  Fantasy baseball sometimes breaks down to riding hot streaks and mitigating the cold one's.

17 minutes ago, aifan27 said:

Big fan of zero or one bench bats in H2H.  This not only allows me to stock up on SPs and/or prospective closers, but also saves me the frustration of leaving stats on my bench.

Agree with this 100%...I HATE having stats on my bench, it's much easier to just not have to make a decision. 

How do you guys avoid injuries though...my hitters go down on a weekly basis usually by getting hit by a pitch or stealing bases

13 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

How do you guys avoid injuries though...my hitters go down on a weekly basis usually by getting hit by a pitch or stealing bases

I Fed Ex all my players green drinks that have mystical healing powers....and a special herbal tea for post game

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Think I've identified a Mookie owner!

I almost always have exactly 1 bench hitter. Injured players? That's what the DL is for. Too many injured players? Some fringe starting pitcher is usually the casualty. It helps my ratios.

3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

You get enough relievers to fill out all your RP/P slots (or maybe leave 1 vacant). Having relievers on your bench is obviously nonsensical.

That wasn't what I was getting at.

If you don't have any bench hitters you're going to have a ton of pitching. Even if you draft relievers to fill all of your eligible P spots, aren't you still going to have so much SP such that you'd have to pull a reliever or two to get all your starting pitching in your daily lineup?

42 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

That wasn't what I was getting at.

If you don't have any bench hitters you're going to have a ton of pitching. Even if you draft relievers to fill all of your eligible P spots, aren't you still going to have so much SP such that you'd have to pull a reliever or two to get all your starting pitching in your daily lineup?

I mean, I don't. I usually have 1-2 SP in my starting slots every day. It's not perfect but I think it works out better than the alternatives.

I'm interested in hearing from the warped minds on this site about the weird strategies they've tried that have paid off. 

I read an article long ago about a guy in a H2H league that went heavy on speed and pitching and won his league. I'd think that something like that would actually work today given the abundance of power and the crap amount of pitching.

How have you shrewd SOB's won a league?

This is my first year doing it but so far im ive been in second/third place in roto for most of may/June.  But basically I spent my entire draft budget on pitching because everyone blows their load on hitting.  Then I've slowly dealt away my arms for bats I wanted.  I usually find it easier to catch hot streaks based on matchups with hitters than streaming pitchers, especially with how thin pitching as become.  This is my 5th year doing a competitive auction and I've noticed that hitting always gets jacked up.  So this year I decided to play it backwards.

Well technically most people haven't "won." I can also easily see how anyone winning with a shareable strategy would see it as jinxing if they came on to post how they "won" In june

Tried the Sweeney plan this year in a 5x5.... drafted pretty well to perfection. Basically at midseason my conclusion is you can't finish higher than 2nd or 3rd if things go perfect punting HR and RBI. Even acing the pitching categories. So I sold off some of that stuff (speed/avg) for as much power as I can to see if I can land 1 or 2 which I suppose I won't be able to, the hole is too great that I dug in the power categories. It is a 12 team 5x5. 

I went without a Catcher the past two weeks and have won both weeks.  Not a crazy strategy but people worry too much about having to have a Catcher.

H2H 12 teamer, traded Salvy for an arm and waited on Ramos.

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Well technically most people haven't "won." I can also easily see how anyone winning with a shareable strategy would see it as jinxing if they came on to post how they "won" In june

Yeah fair enough. Any strategy that's had success can be shared. It doesn't have to lead to a title. We all knows there's some luck to winning all. 

I'm in a dynasty league that's 12 teams total and only four make playoffs. I've got one title and I've made the Playoffs every year except three in nine seasons. I basically follow the prospects like a hawk. My watch list is a plethora of guys most have never heard of. It took two to three years of loading up on bats and using my entire budget on outfielders and pitching. Pitchers and outfielders are like flies, I always have the rotation rolling by the middle of June via the wire. 

8 hours ago, xMortons said:

I went without a Catcher the past two weeks and have won both weeks.  Not a crazy strategy but people worry too much about having to have a catcher.

You could probably win in roto without having a catcher. But it's so "out there" I bet few have tried it.

I reckon most people would think you're wasting a roster spot. Quite the contrary, you'd be able to use the roster spot on better player, potentially offering a better yield on that roster spot.

I play only H2H fantasy point. Pitching categories scored are outs (1), hits (-1), bb (-1), hbp (-1), K (1.5), er (-2), wins (7), QS (3), loss (-3), cg (5), shutout (5), saves (5), holds (2)

We have SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP positions. 

I always, always, always have a relief pitcher in my SP spots, unless I have an actual starter going. We don't limit innings or moves, we only limit starts per week. Every team gets 7 games started by SP, otherwise, it's open game. 

I will always way over spend on a closer who is SP eligible. Others in the league can't get past the idea of paying more for Raisel Iglesias than any other closer (like I did this year). Won the league 3 years in a row. 

I'll also share the craziest trade strategy I had that worked. It wasn't baseball, it was football, but I'm sure most of you will follow it well enough. 

Buddy of mine had Gronk. Gronk is my boy, always gotta have him. Anyway, I'm trying to send him a tight end and a wide receiver to get Gronk (he wanted a WR). He wasn't interested in any of my WR. So I traded him for Randal Cobb instead, I knew he liked Cobb, but I knew he also needed to upgrade RB, so I sent him a flex worth RB + a WR who wasn't much worse than Cobb for Cobb. 

As soon as the trade completes, I offered Cobb and the TE I was trying to trade to him for Gronk. He couldn't believe it, but took it because it was a really strong offer, even though he had just traded me Cobb the day before. 

Moral of the story : 3 for 1's look really bad, which is essentially what this guy did, and most guys shy away from them because of such. Now, if I'm going to offer a 3 for 1, I usually just offer my strongest 2 and let the other guy comment that he needs another piece. By sending 3 for 1, even if I feel like it's a very strong package (3 quality guys for 1 really good guy), I'm pretty much admitting that two of the guys I'm sending really aren't enough for who I want, and I'm tossing an extra non essential piece to get it done. 

Just thought it was funny the way the deal worked. Didn't have a 2nd guy he wanted for a 2 for 1 trade for one of his guys, so I traded for one of his guys and offered him right back. Was pretty proud of that one. 

1st place in my competitive yahoo roto league is currently rostering 0 starting pitchers. 

His roster is all RPs & CL

His hitters are all high exit velocity/launch angle monsters.

he's nearly 1st in every category except for the two he punted (Wins, and Ks) and is leading the league by 4 roto points.

If you deploy this strategy make sure to have very good faith in your offensive projections.

Archived