NBC Sports Edge Forums

Fantasy Strategy Thread

auri

9 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

1st place in my competitive yahoo roto league is currently rostering 0 starting pitchers. 

His roster is all RPs & CL

His hitters are all high exit velocity/launch angle monsters.

he's nearly 1st in every category except for the two he punted (Wins, and Ks) and is leading the league by 4 roto points.

If you deploy this strategy make sure to have very good faith in your offensive projections.

Interesting...I deploy this strategy in H2H leagues but didn't think it would work in roto punting 2 cats entirely..   he's fortunate his offense worked out that well.

On a seperate note...there has been so much closer volatility this strategy has been difficult for me this year after working very well the last couple.  I have one team that is 11th out of 12th employing it where almost nothing has gone right (on offense drafted Odor, Freeman, Pollock and Marte, on the pitching side Melancon, Ramos, Bedrosian and Britton have all been issues) so i'm just gonna chalk this one up to unfortunate luck.  I'm close enough to 6th place that if a switch gets flipped and enough players get back I have an outside shot.

In general this strategy has been very effective for me in h2h in years past though.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's effective because pitchers tend to be highly volatile .. by drafting only closers and late round high upside relievers (and filling bench with potential future closers) you are essentially guaranteeing yourself 38 roto points on the pitching side without ANY of the risk associated with burning a top pick on a frontline starting pitcher. The rest of your draft dollars are now free to be spent on offense. 

10 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

105 views, 0 replies. I guess we've all won by the book.

I reckon it's tough to test an "unusual" strategy for two reasons:

1. The season is such a grind and there are so many in-season developments (eg, injuries) that impact your roster. You'd have to be extremely diligent in adhering to a single strategy all year long.

2. Inherently we all want to win and we don't want to waste our time, so we're going to migrate to the safer approaches.

His roster is all RPs 

I have a guy in my league essentially doing that, other than two SPs. He streams SPs. It isn't working for him. Relying on scrub relievers, waiver wire SPs have destroyed his WHIP (his ERA is solid) and he is midpack in Ks and wins. Perhaps the larger problem is that he keeps working the wire to add relievers, especially those who may get temporary saves or become a closer soon (despite having a massive lead in saves), while other teams are working the wire to improve the entirety of the roster. He was 6-8 points ahead of me a month ago, approximately even 2 weeks ago but is now 16 points behind as he has went from 1st to barely clinging to 3rd. 

This is only my second time playing roto baseball but I have played roto basketball several times and my approach has always been to try to compete in every category. You don't need to win every category but you need to at least get 4-5 everywhere and be high in several categories to win overall. I never bought into the theory of punting saves or punting FT % (I will note the second place team, about 5 behind me, is dead last in saves so perhaps it can work). 

Anyone been having success rotating bench bats based on  RHP/LHP splits?  I've been throwing out Zimmer and Pederson based on RHP match-ups with some recent success. Who are other players people are using?  I remember using Dickerson a few years back in a similar rolle.

In H2H:

If you punt a category, you have to win 6 out of 9 categories every week.

If you punt two categories, you have to win 6 out of 8 categories every week.

Punting is dumb.

• 3 weeks later...

So how has the fly-ball and HR revolution affected your strategy?

Quickly it seems like we've gone from a few years ago offense being very scarce imo, to an environment where even former bonafide scrubs -- eg, Scooter Gennett, Yonder Alonso, Logan Morrison, Justin Smoak -- are putting up unreal numbers.

With power so widely available it kind of devalues the statistic.

I also reckon it arguably devalues some "breakouts": Guys who have progressed/developed in 2017 find themselves simply keeping pace with the uptick in power across the league.

So have you found yourself a victim or beneficiary of the recent shift?

This year I decided to draft heavy starting pitching, steam a lot of hitting, and treat closers like kickers in fantasy football. But it's 

I think the power explosion you reference is the main reason it has worked out even better than expected. Other than Zimmerman, I was able to pick up most of the waiver wire studs since I had hitters I was more willing/able to drop. 

I'll probably draft similarly next year but I'm not expecting for it to be quite as much of a boon. 

33 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

This year I decided to draft heavy starting pitching, steam a lot of hitting, and treat closers like kickers in fantasy football. But it's 

I think the power explosion you reference is the main reason it has worked out even better than expected. Other than Zimmerman, I was able to pick up most of the waiver wire studs since I had hitters I was more willing/able to drop. 

I'll probably draft similarly next year but I'm not expecting for it to be quite as much of a boon. 

I want a lot of info on the baseball seams before I draft next year

• 2 weeks later...

1. have a killer draft (target well-roundedness and upside; fill in deficiencies later)

2. prior to trade deadline, send a writeup about your young studs to other managers

3. trade your depth/young-talent for proven, high-upside vets

4. burn an effigy of Terry Mulholland to ward off bad trade karma 

5. make a title run

On 7/28/2017 at 11:53 AM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

1. have a killer draft (target well-roundedness and upside; fill in deficiencies later)

2. prior to trade deadline, send a writeup about your young studs to other managers

3. trade your depth/young-talent for proven, high-upside vets

4. burn an effigy of Terry Mulholland to ward off bad trade karma 

5. make a title run

Lol @ #2

Never has a manager ever convinced me to make a trade by educating me about players I already know about.

Never, ever punt categories. Don't play the game to use that strategy. Be competitive in all categories and if you can be dominate in a few of them you'll be near the top of standings. Then work a few deals to secure the categories you need help in.

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure what thread I should post in and I found this one dealing with strategy.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fantasy Baseball black book?

Authors:  Joe Pisapia (Author),‎ Paul Sporer (Author),‎ Jake Ciely (Author),‎ Sammy Reid (Author)

Paul Sporer as an author got my attention and then in the description it talks about the value of RPV (Relative position value)

I was just wondering how familiar people are with RPV and what you think about it?  I know very little about it.

On 2017-06-27 at 10:23 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

I'm interested in hearing from the warped minds on this site about the weird strategies they've tried that have paid off. 

I read an article long ago about a guy in a H2H league that went heavy on speed and pitching and won his league. I'd think that something like that would actually work today given the abundance of power and the crap amount of pitching.

How have you shrewd SOB's won a league?

I was goin the usual hitter heavy strat until I got Dee Gordon cheap (drafted Trea) and picked up some strong pitchers like Wood, Severino. Then I sent a big bat for another big SP. Basically Gordon was my only bench bat who Id start early in the week to secure my win in SB and started ALL of my SPs most of the time. Ofc rest of my bench players were SPs and my worst one was a streamer spot after Jimmy Nelson went down late in the season. My worst SP Id say was Quintana.

And yes, I was fully on to the power explosion early in the season so I was able to monopolize SBs and every pitching cats minus SVs. my closers were decent too and I replaced the big HR bats I traded with guys like Scooter, Merrifield, Olson

21 hours ago, 33legend said:

I'm not sure what thread I should post in and I found this one dealing with strategy.

Does anyone have any experience with the Fantasy Baseball black book?

Authors:  Joe Pisapia (Author),‎ Paul Sporer (Author),‎ Jake Ciely (Author),‎ Sammy Reid (Author)

Paul Sporer as an author got my attention and then in the description it talks about the value of RPV (Relative position value)

I was just wondering how familiar people are with RPV and what you think about it?  I know very little about it.

No experience with that book, but Sporer, Ciely, and Reid really are experts. I'd listened to many podcasts featuring those 3 guys. 

This season I'm (tentatively) going to employ a much different roto auction strategy than is typical. In the past I've generally stuck to some 80/20 - 70/30 Hitting to Pitching split. After some consideration, I think I'm going to make a significant shift of about 60/40 Pitching to Hitting this season (at least in one important cash league). 

The idea at least is to target the best home run suppressors among starters and the highest k SV/HD relievers to try and hold back the home run tide this season. I think offensive production has shown power is readily available from basically every position. Special attention to cheap speed will be necessary. This is hardly revolutionary but it's clearly atypical given the standard auction blueprints. 

Of course I may talk myself out of this by the time Spring Training rolls around. 

The HR explosion doesn't really affect my desire to go after power early, especially in OBP leagues. Falling behind in HRs is usually something really hard to make up.  Not true for SBs.

I'm considering going heavy on a couple stud arms in my roto auction league because power explosion. Grab a Kershaw and Kluber then stock up on Yonder Alonso types. That's a formidable duo of arms that gives you plenty of breathing room to stream wins/QS, and if the home run revolution is real you should be able to contend with the bats.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'm considering going heavy on a couple stud arms in my roto auction league because power explosion. Grab a Kershaw and Kluber then stock up on Yonder Alonso types. That's a formidable duo of arms that gives you plenty of breathing room to stream wins/QS, and if the home run revolution is real you should be able to contend with the bats.

Used this approach last year and finished 1st. Bats are plentiful. Stud pitchers not so much.

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

In in auction league this year I'm targeting the Quintana/Tanaka/Wood tier for my SP 1 and 2s.  There is going to be a bigger premium on the top 4 than ever before.  It's interesting to see that guys like Darvish/Archer/CMart have actually risen in rankings despite down years. Big time inflation. 

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Used this approach last year and finished 1st. Bats are plentiful. Stud pitchers not so much.

My perspective on this...if a stud pitcher goes down, you're screwed. But because bats are more plentiful, if a stud bat goes down, it's easier to try to come close to replacing his production. It's a whole lot easier to try to replace SP2s and SP3s than a stud like Kershaw/Sale/Scherzer/etc. I've found more fortune in going after bats and carefully building a pitching staff with a mix of SP2/3s, closers, and stud MRs. 

Of course if you get 450 stud innings out of a pair of stud SPs, then my argument doesn't work so much. Lol. 

6 hours ago, BayofPuigs said:

I’m not replying to anyone in particular but just wanted to chime in that the punt saves strategy worked for me last year in one league. H2H 12 team league with playoffs got 1st place

What strat is this ? Just stock up on offense and all SPS ?

1 hour ago, mortl said:

What strat is this ? Just stock up on offense and all SPS ?

Yes, based on my team you need a frontline starter Kershaw, Scherzer or someone like that, and you need to win steals or be capable of beating any team in steals ( as we know luck plays a factor)

you can still draft / pick up closers but they should be towards the way back end and with the knowledge that they are trade bait. This is the first year it worked for me so who knows if it was luck or not.

Once I was happy with my team I chose a few certain relievers (drafted Andrew Miller) who I felt very rarely hurt my ratios while helping lower them usually

Archived