NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 Commissioner / League Rules / League Drama

6 minutes ago, KarlJ. said:

It is games played. Every other fantrax league (which has the same position settings and rules) have Taylor listed at 3B. Obviously it is a computer glitch for our specific site. I have fixed position errors for players on other teams as I notice them or as they are called to my attention by the respective teams. Fantrax like other sites is not perfect as sometimes there are errors. Also the site keeps a log of all commissioner changes and can be set to email all teams of changes under team options.   I am not trying to hide anything. I just didn't think it was necessary to ask permission to correct a site error.  If people think I was wrong on that I will accept it but I certainly wasn't trying to cheat or anything

I think you have to give the league your reasoning and be prepared to change it if they collectively disagree, assuming they have a decent reason such as the one brockpapersizer stated. As right as you might think you are, it is not a good look for you to be against the rest of the league unless their case is extraordinarily weak.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

How do you guys deal with a commish who just won't bugger off? There's a guy in my league - a league that's been running for 5 years - who is new. It's a Dynasty where you keep 20 for as long as you like. 

He moved an ace level pitcher that was hurt for a couple of "meh" pieces (top 80 players) like a month ago.

The deal was pretty lopsided, but no one said it should be overturned even when the guy getting the ace said he'd go back on it if the league thought it was unfair. 

Now everytime the guy who hit the ace chats in our group message, the commish comes in and rides his a**. The commish won't give him a chance to like... Properly chat. He can't ask a question without it being brought up. 

A few of us have spoken to the commish but he just won't change. So frustrating. 

This seems a little poorly worded. Theres a commish, new guy who traded an Ace, and a veteran to the league who got the Ace?  The commish is just being mean to the guy who got the Ace?  Sounds like a lot of extraneous information here.  

I don't see what you can do about a commissioner talking smack.  If you can't change the commissioner you'll just have to find a new league if it bothers you that much.  Or try talking to him again, and maybe try to be more sincere?  

An Ace for a couple top 80 guys doesn't seem that bad in a keep 20. If the Ace isn't Kershaw, Scherzer, or Sale.... then there's probably nothing wrong with it at all. Even if it is, might make more sense to get younger guys you can keep longer. 

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

I can't admit I know where Chris Taylor qualified for at the beginning of the season on Fantrax.  If you are using fantrax default position eligibilities, I find it almost unbelievable that every fantrax league gave him 3b except yours. I've never heard of that happening.  I've heard a few times a site will mess up a position, but they mess it up for every league.

I do not think you were trying to cheat at all. I wouldn't have done it. That being said, if you have been fixing eligibilities for everyone else, then I don't see the problem. I just hope there is some easy uniform way to figure out where someone qualifies, because sometimes its confusing with players changing position mid games and so on.

All of the Fantrax Classic Draft leagues with the default position eligibility settings have Chris Taylor listed as 3B and then added eligibility during the season for 2B/OF/MI ( Our league uses same setting).  If you drafted Taylor in Fantrax leagues before the season you would have had to draft him as a 3B.  I am not sure why our league didn't update this for some reason.  Weird errors with Fantrax in the past though in our specific league.  I remember one year I think it was Eric Aybar - they had him still listed as a 2B even though he hadn't played a game at 2B for over 2 years

7 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

How do you guys deal with a commish who just won't bugger off? There's a guy in my league - a league that's been running for 5 years - who is new. It's a Dynasty where you keep 20 for as long as you like. 

He moved an ace level pitcher that was hurt for a couple of "meh" pieces (top 80 players) like a month ago.

The deal was pretty lopsided, but no one said it should be overturned even when the guy getting the ace said he'd go back on it if the league thought it was unfair. 

Now everytime the guy who hit the ace chats in our group message, the commish comes in and rides his a**. The commish won't give him a chance to like... Properly chat. He can't ask a question without it being brought up. 

A few of us have spoken to the commish but he just won't change. So frustrating. 

Replace him as commissioner? Is he especially good at anything else? What are you guys going to do when he needs to make a decision against somebody who he's rubbed the wrong way? We've had two commissioners in our league who have both been much more diplomatic; it's made things easy when there's tension driven by people like your commissioner, because nobody thinks they're being purposely disadvantaged. I'm a big believer that the commissioner needs to stay out of conflict in order to maintain objectivity and avoid even the appearance of bias. This seems like a time bomb to me, personally.

2 minutes ago, KarlJ. said:

All of the Fantrax Classic Draft leagues with the default position eligibility settings have Chris Taylor listed as 3B and then added eligibility during the season for 2B/OF/MI ( Our league uses same setting).  If you drafted Taylor in Fantrax leagues before the season you would have had to draft him as a 3B.  I am not sure why our league didn't update this for some reason.  Weird errors with Fantrax in the past though in our specific league.  I remember one year I think it was Eric Aybar - they had him still listed as a 2B even though he hadn't played a game at 2B for over 2 years

If there's 0 ambiguity as to whether he should have had 3b and you've changed it for other people, I see nothing wrong.  It would still be in your best interest to post a message every time you do this for someone or yourself. 

20 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

This seems a little poorly worded. Theres a commish, new guy who traded an Ace, and a veteran to the league who got the Ace?  The commish is just being mean to the guy who got the Ace?  Sounds like a lot of extraneous information here.  

I don't see what you can do about a commissioner talking smack.  If you can't change the commissioner you'll just have to find a new league if it bothers you that much.  Or try talking to him again, and maybe try to be more sincere?  

An Ace for a couple top 80 guys doesn't seem that bad in a keep 20. If the Ace isn't Kershaw, Scherzer, or Sale.... then there's probably nothing wrong with it at all. Even if it is, might make more sense to get younger guys you can keep longer. 

Sorry, I was on mobile. I'll lay it out here.

10 team dynasty league where we keep up to 20 players for as long we wish - no penalties. There are 2 NA slots for prospects/whatever, 3 DL slots. The league has no voting on trades, although people do complain sometimes... but it's usually resolved pretty easily. The league is ~5 years old, with 6 of the 10 having been from the start (myself included).

A new member joined this year... let's call him John. John doesn't know a ton about baseball, but he's interested enough. He rarely responds to trades with messages, and usually just sends offers. If you try to negotiate, he likely ignores you and then just sends a new offer. Personally, I have no issue with this... If he sees I need a 2B and sends an offer with one, I can just negotiate through trade offers. No problem.

John inherited a pretty bad team. It had Mike Trout on it last year, who he traded to me for Rizzo, Maeda, Story, and a few others. It really helped his team and he's been in 5th place this year. He finished 8th or 9th last year, I believe. 

So anyway... John and Dave (a different guy, been in the league since day 1) get a trade going on. Dave sends over Adam Jones and Jonathan Lucroy for Corey Kluber. Honestly, it's lopsided... I think John got ripped off, but it isn't the worst trade I've ever seen and there have been bigger "steals" in this league. Like, Jones is at 19HR and is pretty much a lock each year for 80RBI and 28HR. No flash or anything, but Kluber was on the DL at the time of the trade. So I dunno.

When the deal was accepted, some people were messaging and questioning it - rightfully so. Dave (the guy getting Kluber) said he'd go back on it if the league voted to have it overturned. Everyone - except the commish - said they were OK with it happening, they were just shocked it was proposed in the first place.

The commish literally will butt-in every time John messages in the chat. He might send a cool article and get a discussion going and then bam, commish: "That trade was such garbage, I think you're colluding!" etc. etc. 

Just gets so annoying, you know? It's like... the other day he put up an article about Aaron Judge (who he traded for Mookie Betts!), and then commish comes in and yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Ugh. /rant over.

@BlueJaysIn2030 yeah thats annoying, my opinion is the same from what I said before about what you can do.  The trade isn't the worst I've seen. Kluber at 31 in Dynasty League has some value, but it's not like he's a young buck and pitchers can lose it at any point. That being said, he probably should have traded for some younger assets. Even with 5 OF, in a 10 team league Jones isn't that exciting... but he has use.

Edited by brockpapersizer

5 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

@BlueJaysIn2030 yeah thats annoying, my opinion is the same from what I said before about what you can do.  The trade isn't the worst I've seen. Kluber at 31 in Dynasty League has some value, but it's not like he's a young buck and pitchers can lose it at any point. That being said, he probably should have traded for some younger assets. Even with 5 OF, in a 10 team league Jones isn't that exciting... but he has use.

Trade aside, a commissioner throwing around accusations of collusion is worse than I expected; I thought it was general trash talk. How's anybody expect him to be fair to either of these owners going forward if he's already accused them of cheating? I'd get a few of the more active/older owners on board and tell the commissioner if he can't cool the rhetoric, he's getting replaced. He doesn't even sound like he's fun to have around.

1 minute ago, Hanghow said:

Trade aside, a commissioner throwing around accusations of collusion is worse than I expected; I thought it was general trash talk. How's anybody expect him to be fair to either of these owners going forward if he's already accused them of cheating? I'd get a few of the more active/older owners on board and tell the commissioner if he can't cool the rhetoric, he's getting replaced. He doesn't even sound like he's fun to have around.

10 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Sorry, I was on mobile. I'll lay it out here.

10 team dynasty league where we keep up to 20 players for as long we wish - no penalties. There are 2 NA slots for prospects/whatever, 3 DL slots. The league has no voting on trades, although people do complain sometimes... but it's usually resolved pretty easily. The league is ~5 years old, with 6 of the 10 having been from the start (myself included).

A new member joined this year... let's call him John. John doesn't know a ton about baseball, but he's interested enough. He rarely responds to trades with messages, and usually just sends offers. If you try to negotiate, he likely ignores you and then just sends a new offer. Personally, I have no issue with this... If he sees I need a 2B and sends an offer with one, I can just negotiate through trade offers. No problem.

John inherited a pretty bad team. It had Mike Trout on it last year, who he traded to me for Rizzo, Maeda, Story, and a few others. It really helped his team and he's been in 5th place this year. He finished 8th or 9th last year, I believe. 

So anyway... John and Dave (a different guy, been in the league since day 1) get a trade going on. Dave sends over Adam Jones and Jonathan Lucroy for Corey Kluber. Honestly, it's lopsided... I think John got ripped off, but it isn't the worst trade I've ever seen and there have been bigger "steals" in this league. Like, Jones is at 19HR and is pretty much a lock each year for 80RBI and 28HR. No flash or anything, but Kluber was on the DL at the time of the trade. So I dunno.

When the deal was accepted, some people were messaging and questioning it - rightfully so. Dave (the guy getting Kluber) said he'd go back on it if the league voted to have it overturned. Everyone - except the commish - said they were OK with it happening, they were just shocked it was proposed in the first place.

The commish literally will butt-in every time John messages in the chat. He might send a cool article and get a discussion going and then bam, commish: "That trade was such garbage, I think you're colluding!" etc. etc. 

Just gets so annoying, you know? It's like... the other day he put up an article about Aaron Judge (who he traded for Mookie Betts!), and then commish comes in and yaddah yaddah yaddah...

Ugh. /rant over.

Haha the commissioner needs attention and wants to show his authority, if this league is for any decent amount of $$ and legitimately competitive throughout the league then he needs to be FIRED. I have never seen only the commissioner veto a trade and then go and share his displeasure and call him out for cheating in the league group message. I feel like the dude is just playing fantasy and made a trade he thought might work and it didn't, ....I wonder what his thought process will revolve around next time he wants to trade...

the commissioner really kinda handcuffed the league as everyone will worry about this tool calling u out for cheating, plus who the hell vetos a trade first all, but then he veto because the trade was garbage. The league needs to start pushing him out of commissioner or just hold a vote in the offseason for commissioner. 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

If there's 0 ambiguity as to whether he should have had 3b and you've changed it for other people, I see nothing wrong.  It would still be in your best interest to post a message every time you do this for someone or yourself. 

Ok I took your advice and posted that I apologize if I should have been more transparent and reiterated that I will continue to make corrections to position eligibility for other teams' players as errors are brought to my attention

Full disclosure we also have an argument in league because Moncada was originally only listed as 3B but in the last few days Fantrax changed his default position to 2b.  The team that has Moncada wants to use him at MI and teams are complaining because he hasn't played 10 games yet.  However our league rules state that Fantrax default position will also be accepted and for minor league players they will be eligible at the position that had most games in the minor leagues this season.  Again pretty clear as Moncada has played over 80 games at 2B in minors this year.  I think teams are getting killed with injuries ( one of the teams complaining just lost Kershaw, Strasburg and Bour) and are now looking for any reason to start a fight or argument

6 minutes ago, KarlJ. said:

Ok I took your advice and posted that I apologize if I should have been more transparent and reiterated that I will continue to make corrections to position eligibility for other teams' players as errors are brought to my attention

Full disclosure we also have an argument in league because Moncada was originally only listed as 3B but in the last few days Fantrax changed his default position to 2b.  The team that has Moncada wants to use him at MI and teams are complaining because he hasn't played 10 games yet.  However our league rules state that Fantrax default position will also be accepted and for minor league players they will be eligible at the position that had most games in the minor leagues this season.  Again pretty clear as Moncada has played over 80 games at 2B in minors this year.  I think teams are getting killed with injuries ( one of the teams complaining just lost Kershaw, Strasburg and Bour) and are now looking for any reason to start a fight or argument

Part of fantasy and making roster moves , especially a prospect add, is knowing what position the guy plays usually.  

I lost Kershaw and Strasburg in a league that costs 5$ per transaction and no bench spots but I'm definitely not going complaining to the league and definitely not starting bs with the commissioner.  I don't think I'd put up with owners like that at all.  Like complaining to the ref about everything not going your way and then expecting the ref to give u a call or benefit 

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

Replace him as commissioner? Is he especially good at anything else? What are you guys going to do when he needs to make a decision against somebody who he's rubbed the wrong way? We've had two commissioners in our league who have both been much more diplomatic; it's made things easy when there's tension driven by people like your commissioner, because nobody thinks they're being purposely disadvantaged. I'm a big believer that the commissioner needs to stay out of conflict in order to maintain objectivity and avoid even the appearance of bias. This seems like a time bomb to me, personally.

Belong to 7 keeper leagues and there is so much drama that I couldn't even tell you who is in charge of any of the seven. Stuff, like I am reading, makes me realize how lucky I am. I am not citing your league specifically though.

Edited by Low and Away

10 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Belong to 7 keeper leagues and there is so much drama that I couldn't even tell you who is in charge of any of the seven. Stuff, like I am reading, makes me realize how lucky I am. I am not citing your league specifically though.

I was thinking the same thing, never have had any major disagreements or really any minor issues that caused people to be angry. The league is 150$ entry and 5$ per transaction with no bench and never had any issues with money, trades, eligibility or anything. The whole point of playing Fantasy is enjoying it and having fun while watching baseball. The $$ is a nice payday once a year if your in the $$ but I'd play for free before playing in money leagues with just BS complaints and whiners about everything.

3 hours ago, KarlJ. said:

Question for the folks on here:

In one of my fantrax leagues where I am the commissioner I have Chris Taylor and have exclusively been using him as my 2B or MI.  The other day I noticed that per our league rules he should also be listed as 3B eligible as that was his primary position played last season.  For some reason he was only listed as 2b/MI/ OF/UT even though other Fantrax leagues, ESPN, CBS, etc all list him at 3B as Primary Position.

Directly from our league rules on Fantrax;s site :20 games last season at a position or 10 games this season.   Note: If a player does not qualify for any positions based on the above selections, he will qualify at the position(s) played most in the previous MLB season. If he did not play at all last season, then the default position(s) will be used. Last season Taylor played the most at 3B.  No ambiguity here.   Obviously it is a computer glitch on our league site.  I used commissioner override to update his position status to include 3B like I have done in past for players on other teams in the instances where Fantrax had errors

I now have a few teams in my league chirping that I was somehow cheating because I corrected the error and as commissioner "I should have asked permission first before I corrected the position eligibility"   Note these are the same people that like to chirp on every other trade that doesn't involve them " that trade does not smell right"

I mean it is pretty back and white in the league rules.  Am I in the wrong here? The fantrax site keeps a log of all rule changes/ overrides by commissioner so there is nothing I was trying to hide or pull the wool over people's eyes.  I think it is just a case of people being overly competitive ( they are close to me in standings) and looking for anything to complain about.  Thoughts?

Simple answer.  You absolutely should have notified the league that you'd be doing that before you did.  Classic case where the most basic of communication would have resolved the issue before it even started.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yea, doesn't really seem like a fantasy baseball question necessarily.  Basically, "what do you do if a guy is a jerk"?  I don't know, ask him to knock it off, tell him to eff off, ignore him, or leave the league I guess.  Not sure what else there would be to do really.

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Simple answer.  You absolutely should have notified the league that you'd be doing that before you did.  Classic case where the most basic of communication would have resolved the issue before it even started.

100% correct here. At least he did go back and apologize, I'm sure it won't be an issue again as it seems he cares about learning from it. I could accept that once but happens twice and means you don't care really, especially if he's newer to commissioner 

7 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, doesn't really seem like a fantasy baseball question necessarily.  Basically, "what do you do if a guy is a jerk"?  I don't know, ask him to knock it off, tell him to eff off, ignore him, or leave the league I guess.  Not sure what else there would be to do really.

Or you get the majority of league on ur side and push him away. If he doesn't get the message then that's his fault and you tell him we are making a league without you or so and so is new commissioner. Ultimatum time. You cannot have a bias commissioner that is the one who's causing the turmoil thru the league

Edited by zstlj
Comm

1 hour ago, KarlJ. said:

Makes me appreciate ESPN.  Never had an issue with position eligibility.

Update- One of the teams complaining responded with the following when I asked him what position Taylor and Moncada was listed as in his 5 other Fantrax and 3 ESPN leagues. ( After I had posted my apology)

"Taylor listed at 3B in all leagues. Moncada listed at 2B in all leagues. So you could see the confusion. Thank you to Joe for getting us all riled up about Taylor !!"

Joe is the other owner that was complaining and seems to like to stir up drama

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Makes me appreciate ESPN.  Never had an issue with position eligibility.

This. ESPN seems to have pretty clearly defined rules around positional eligibility, and updates new positions quickly, so as a commish I try to stay out of this position game altogether. 

Default ESPN rules are what they are, we all play by them, and positions are set by them. I've never used Fantrax, and I get that it is meant to give more flexibility in terms of running your league and rules, but this seems like an area that can only create headaches. 

On 7/19/2017 at 10:34 AM, shakestreet said:

I see nothing wrong with that feature ...that feature is awesome the commissioner (league manager) can select his owners he wants in his league, instead of random people just joining. A rather play in a league manager league than any public league. 

What on earth are you talking about? He's talking about the ability LM have to edit rosters after games have started, not what owners you want in the league.

The feature doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing it allows you to do is move guys around for the current day after games have started. It's only useful purpose is what another poster said - moving in a player who's game has already started and the owner just couldn't get to a computer. But it won't let you set another teams lineup for the next day. So if your temporarily running another team, you can't go in and change things around for tomorrow without that change also affecting the current day. If you're moving an active 0/4 player with a guy on the bench who went 3/3 with 2 HR's today, you run into problems, and you have to wait until morning to make the change.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:34 AM, shakestreet said:

I see nothing wrong with that feature ...that feature is commissioner the commissioner (league manager) can select his owners he wants in his league, instead of random people just joining. A rather play in a league manager league than any public league. 

For public leagues, a commissioner can not choose which managers play in his league. At that point, it is considered a private league.

Played in both types and seen abuses with both. The worst was a LM would go in and change your pitchers depending on how they did. Once I caught on it was funny that he needed to win that badly.

2 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

What on earth are you talking about? He's talking about the ability LM have to edit rosters after games have started, not what owners you want in the league.

The feature doesn't make any sense to me. The only thing it allows you to do is move guys around for the current day after games have started. It's only useful purpose is what another poster said - moving in a player who's game has already started and the owner just couldn't get to a computer. But it won't let you set another teams lineup for the next day. So if your temporarily running another team, you can't go in and change things around for tomorrow without that change also affecting the current day. If you're moving an active 0/4 player with a guy on the bench who went 3/3 with 2 HR's today, you run into problems, and you have to wait until morning to make the change.

Haha I had to read multiple times to understand this and idk if I do?  Commish moving a player mid game from bench because someone said they couldn't make it to the computer?? That's absolutely ridiculous if that's correct and the 2nd part just seems like a headache that's easily avoided. If I understood that correct then this feature is whack, hopefully I'm wrong tho just for the sake of spending my time learning it and gaining nothing.