NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tevin Coleman 2017 Outlook

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Squidward said:

What are your thoughts on Coleman this week? Carolina has a tough run D so it leaves me a little worried about this week

I dont worry too much about opposing run D's with Coleman since he does so much of his damage out of the backfield.. 

7 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

He had a monster game vs Carolina last year in week 16 (on my bench and cost me the ‘Ship /coolstorybro) albeit with Luke Keuchly out. I’m going to have a hard time benching him especially with Freeman dinged up. 

2017 CAR D

3rd fewest passing YPG, 10  passing TDs to WR/TE. Zero passing TDs to RBs.

4th fewest rushing YPG. Only 3 rushing TDs over 8 games.

2nd fewest FFP given to RBs.

Edited by martinjlm

Guys, is there no Atlanta fan here who watches all the games religiously and can tell is what the deal is with Freeman and Coleman? Is Coleman slowly taking over, only filling in for injury, or should we expect a 50/50 split? I am totally confused.

Before the bye, Freeman got ~20carries and Coleman 6-8; after the bye Freeman had 9-12 and Coleman something similar with higher variation (in the passing game, Sanu and Julio seem to get more near a 50/50 split after the bye).

Are these strategy corrections after the bye and this is what we can expect from now on, or are they going back to Freeman being a clear RB1?

Edited by Boudewijn
2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Guys, is there no Atlanta fan here who watches all the games religiously and can tell is what the deal is with Freeman and Coleman? Is Coleman slowly taking over, only filling in for injury, or should we expect a 50/50 split? I am totally confused.

Before the bye, Freeman got ~20carries and Coleman 6-8; after the bye Freeman had 9-12 and Coleman something similar with higher variation (in the passing game, Sanu and Julio seem to get more near a 50/50 split after the bye).

Are these strategy corrections after the bye and this is what we can expect from now on, or are they going back to Freeman being a clear RB1?

Maybe they're going with the hot hand or just doing whatever they please

Atlanta just doesn't do a good job getting the ball into Coleman's hands in space.  Freeman is the better runner, so I never feel good about starting Coleman and he'll be on the bench again this week.  Hard to count on much with 8-10 touches and maybe 1 target.  Last week he got 15 touches because Freeman left the game, can't count on that either. The Falcon offense was much better with Kyle Shannon as OC.

52 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Atlanta just doesn't do a good job getting the ball into Coleman's hands in space.  Freeman is the better runner, so I never feel good about starting Coleman and he'll be on the bench again this week.  Hard to count on much with 8-10 touches and maybe 1 target.  Last week he got 15 touches because Freeman left the game, can't count on that either. The Falcon offense was much better with Kyle Shannon as OC.

Thank you.

As an owner of both Freeman and Coleman, I'll play Freeman if he's fully healthy, Coleman if Freeman is fully out and both maybe against a soft match-up (maybe NO/TB?). I'll avoid the unsure situation this week against a strong Carolina though.

7 hours ago, weakkneeswilly said:

Only had six touches in the game but ended up scoring late in the fourth quarter on a 19-yard catch and run. Coleman had just five rush yards on five carries. He's nothing more than a matchup-based flex going forward.

TD dependent matchup based. Even worse. 

On 11/4/2017 at 10:53 PM, Red Dog said:

Pretty much it.

The Falcons seemed to be better on offense last year when Coleman was getting more touches.  He's more dynamic and I think a big reason Atlanta's number of big plays are down are because of their usage of Coleman.  It really makes little sense to me.  I mean, Coleman was a big reason they won that Jets game with the big run he busted off to set up a short TD and he comes out this week and gets 5 carries.

Either way, I just view Coleman as basically a Derrick Henry high-upside type stash.  He gets about the same usage as Henry which makes him tough to start but he's a guy that could be huge of Freeman were to miss time.

They just aren't doing a very good job of mixing things up this year and it's pretty clear Shanny played a big part in their success last year.  

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I started last week in standard and got lucky with a late TD catch, he is a huge risk this week if you ask me. There’s always the danger that he only gets you 2 fantasy points. 

I’d be more open to that risk if he had a higher ceiling. With a low ceiling and really low floor there’s no upside anymore.  

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

thoughts on coleman in PPR ros?  considering trading for him.  seems like theyre not really passing to him (or freeman for that matter) any more.  what happened?

There should be better options for you. If you have room and are trading nothing for him, sure get him. You never know if Freeman gets hurt and Coleman is "the guy". New OC has the offense down, that's all I can think given how talented they are at nearly every offensive position. No need to add him if you are giving up anything remotely significant to acquire him.

Almost didn't play him until Forte went down this week. Glad I did! Sorry to see Freeman concussed but glad to have Coleman. I was really excited and was hoping they played on Thursday this week because almost no way Freeman will be cleared. Unfortunately not. Monday game AND they play SEA. So super risky dang it.